While at OCON the other day I saw a talk by a programmer named Jason Crawford and he spoke a bit about spreading Objectivism. He has a cool little site that matches students who want to read Ayn Rand's works to people who have been touched by the philosophy and want to donate books to these students. If you have extra books around you want to share or would like to buy books for these students pledging to read them, check out the site at http://freeobjectivistbooks.org/

Isn't giving one's books away for free a tad altruistic?

Don't mind me too much please. I am having one of those moods.

Isn't giving one's books away for free a tad altruistic?

Don't mind me too much please. I am having one of those moods.

There is much value to be had in educating the public.

My copy of Atlas Shrugged was "free." All I had to do was submit a poorly written essay.

Baal, you are joking, right?

I don't think giving away books is altruistic at all. You are sharing your philosophy and that is a value. With this service the books are going to eager young people pledging to read them. Over the years I given away many Ayn Rand books to people on my own. I occasionally pick up books used or cheap and give them away or loan them out. I gave several to an OL member about a month ago. This program just expands my reach. You can buy books from amazon or other online store and have them shipped directly to the student with this service.

I have no problem with charity or giving as long is it is in alignment with my values. Giving feels good and helps a worthy cause. Getting Objectivism out there to eager young minds is a great thing IMHO.

Kat

I don't think giving away books is altruistic at all. You are sharing your philosophy and that is a value. With this service the books are going to eager young people pledging to read them. Over the years I given away many Ayn Rand books to people on my own. I occasionally pick up books used or cheap and give them away or loan them out. I gave several to an OL member about a month ago. This program just expands my reach. You can buy books from amazon or other online store and have them shipped directly to the student with this service.

I have no problem with charity or giving as long is it is in alignment with my values. Giving feels good and helps a worthy cause. Getting Objectivism out there to eager young minds is a great thing IMHO.

Kat

Kat

'twas a minor jest. No offense intended.