Angelina Jolie as Dagny

Kat

Angelina Jolie as Dagny  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Angelina Jolie is a good choice to play Dagny Taggart in the Atlas Shrugged movie?

• YES! ? She's perfect for the part!
    • Yes ? Maybe not the best choice, but she'll do fine
    • Neutral - no opinion either way
    • No ? She is not a very good choice to play Dagny
    • NO! ? She is horrible for the part!

• 2 months later...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathryn,

A warm welcome to OL. I looked up your profile and it is always a pleasure to meet people from former Objectivist circles. From what I have read, New York in the 70's was an era of some heady times for Objectivists.

I looked up Enneagram since I was not familiar with it. It looks interesting both as a concept and as a personality typing system. I only skimmed so far, but I intend to look into this in more depth. Here are some links I looked at:

Enneagram (Wikipedia)

Enneagram of Personality (Wikipedia)

How the Enneagram System Works (Enneagram Iinstitute)

There are plenty of other sites mentioned on a Google search.

And, for the record, here is the Wikipedia entry for Cate Blanchett. You are right. She would make a good Dagny.

Michael

• 2 months later...
angelina-jolie.jpg

Angelina Jolie

(I see that this is an old thread, but want to reply to it anyway)

Kat - I have no qualms with Angelina Jolie's ability to play Dagny. What I am a bit uncomfortable with though, is the segment of movie-goers who will come to watch this movie not because of Atlas Shrugged, but because of their lingering identification with Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider/Mr. Mrs Smith, etc. I feel almost protective of the story from those who may have never even heard of the book and won't be able to grasp its depth.

I've never before cared this much for the release of a movie!

• 2 months later...
angelina-jolie.jpg

Angelina Jolie

(I see that this is an old thread, but want to reply to it anyway)

Kat - I have no qualms with Angelina Jolie's ability to play Dagny. What I am a bit uncomfortable with though, is the segment of movie-goers who will come to watch this movie not because of Atlas Shrugged, but because of their lingering identification with Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider/Mr. Mrs Smith, etc. I feel almost protective of the story from those who may have never even heard of the book and won't be able to grasp its depth.

I've never before cared this much for the release of a movie!

Would you rather them not appear in the audience at all?

• 1 year later...

If they were to ever make a re-make of The Fountainhead, Jolie would be the perfect Dominique Francon, a passionately idealistic but irrational character. She's a good enough actress that she could plausibly take on Dagny, but I imaging Dagny as being much less sensual.

Laura Linney would be a solid Lillian Rearden.

Edited by John Day

• 2 months later...

I have no insight in her life but it seems a bit weird. Does she have it to do a great perfomance? who knows.

One other thing that crossed my mind the other is the whole hollywood related, seems like some kind of incest there everyone seems to be related in some way.

• 2 months later...

Dagny Taggart may have been 34 when Atlas Shrugged begins because she mentions being 35 during her trip with Rearden to Wisconsin. She's 37 when she goes to Galt's Gulch. Is Galt’s Gulch a hiding place? I guess that might be a good description. The actor who plays her should look old enough to have accomplished what she did. Still, a twenty something or a forty something could still be believable.

Sundance films says:

A number of stars have expressed serious interest in playing the lead role of Taggart. Angelina Jolie previously had been reported as a candidate to play the strong female character, but the list is growing and now includes Charlize Theron, Julia Roberts and Anne Hathaway.

End quote

Harrison Ford would have made a good Hank Reardon but I think his younger wife has put some wrinkles on his face.

Phillip Coates wrote:

What bothers me about Jolie in the role is her woodenness, sort of an unfeeling stoicism....facial expression never changing.

End quote

Angelina Jolie? I just don’t see her that way. After seeing “The Changeling,” she is definitely my second choice. I think if the characters around her, don’t act like she is beautiful, there will not be a problem. If they are deferential and somewhat frightened of her . . . but then when she lets her hair down? Hollywood can work miracles.

Jodie Foster? As Elle in “Contact,” (her Dad called her Sparks and that’s what I named my cat) and as “Nell,” I am greatly impressed with her acting. And she is a risk taker, showing her breasts for five minutes in Nell. She is much more shapely than I imagined.

Is Jodie Foster too old if they start filming the movie in at the beginning of 2011? I hope not. She would be my first choice

Reese Witherspoon? Maybe. Perhaps a relatively unknown actress would be better with no baggage.

We know what impact the Novel had. The movie should be no different. If I owned all the theatres in America I would let impressionable teens in for a buck.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

Edited by Peter Taylor

• 11 months later...

Jolie is no dummy, and she's bitchy enough to play Dominique in Fountainhead, too!. :-) I'd put her up against any contemporary actress in a debate, and she'd slaughter almost any politician who dared have such a meeting with her, no doubt at all.

If you like James Bond type of movies check out "Salt", which was just released on DVD. Jolie shines in this action packed thriller.

I've seen the previews. I don't spend money on movies. I'll wait until I can rent the dvd for $1. It's just entertainment, after all.

It's already available for rental at Redbox.