How to become psychologically healthy?

Nerian

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam,

How psychologically unhealthy is he to ask that?

Nobody knows...

:smile:

Michael

On a semantic differential scale 0 being seriously unhealthy and 100 being perfectly healthy, I woulld assess it/he/she/alphabet at -110 and rapidly moving dramatically - on that scale...

OK..Troll alert...

Adam,

Not a troll.

He's a guy named Peter and he posts under the same avatar on OO.

I think he is not too engaged right now because he leans in a direction Objectivism-wise we do not. I am not too sure of his opinion of the Brandens, but I suspect he is more in line with the Peikovian view than with ours.

That would explain the mockery you sense in the leading nature of the threads he has opened where they ape New-Age like questions. But I can't say it's mockery for sure. It just seems like it.

We have to wait until he deigns to talk to his inferiors.

:)

Michael

Define "psychologically healthy."

Not me?

Just askin...

Trying to beat that prevert Brant and taking advantage of the time differential...

Michael

Thanks Michael...now I can be as rude as I chose...

Hmm, I guess y'all are reading something into the guy's question that I am not. In any case, I should be clear that my response (define psychologically healthy) had a double intention. First, it's important for me to understand what he means in order to answer. Second, and more importantly, it's necessary for him to understand what he means in order to plan a course of action. Too many people embark on a journey to emotional health without a clear destination. There has to be goals, just like with physical health. However, there are no standards for emotional health as there are for physical health. There are no magical numbers like weight, BMI, blood pressure, etc.

As for resources, I'd venture to say that the only one that's absolutely necessary is the self.

Peter seems a good guy in the little I read of his and responded to, at O.O.

Enthusiastic, smart and knowledgeable - also, Australian, but I won't hold it against him.

I have quibbles with Austrian economics but hold little against the Austrians.

--Brant

Enthusiastic, smart and knowledgeable - also, Australian, but I won't hold it against him.

I have quibbles with Austrian economics but hold little against the Austrians.

--Brant

Hah, no: Austr -yy-lian, cobber!

He gets away with this "shit eating grin" all the time...

Peter writes:

What can I do to become more psychologically healthy?

The most effective approach to health and happiness I know is:

Give up blaming others.

What resources are there?

You. :smile:

Greg

OK..Troll alert...

Adam,

Not a troll.

He's a guy named Peter and he posts under the same avatar on OO.

I think he is not too engaged right now because he leans in a direction Objectivism-wise we do not. I am not too sure of his opinion of the Brandens, but I suspect he is more in line with the Peikovian view than with ours.

That would explain the mockery you sense in the leading nature of the threads he has opened where they ape New-Age like questions. But I can't say it's mockery for sure. It just seems like it.

Michael

I'm definitely not a troll. All my questions are completely sincere. I'm sorry if I've upset anyone here. I'm here to learn. I absolutely did not mean to rustle any feathers, and I am not trying to make a mockery of anyone or anything.

There is no doubt some history here that I'm unaware of, but I have no way of knowing what has happened here or in the community. I have no idea what the consensus is here on various topics.

I absolutely did not mean to be asking New-Age like questions. In what way are the New-Age like? Mental and emotional health is New Age?

I have little opinion on the Brandens. I have no idea what the forum consensus is on the Brandens. I've looked into some of Branden's stuff and found some of it to be quite good. I have an idea of the Branden-Rand split but I am interested in ideas only. If the ideas are good, then I'll take them.

I find both Peikoff and Kelley to be good. I wouldn't say I lean either way.

How am I not engaged?

"We have to wait until he deigns to talk to his inferiors." - What do you mean by this?

Thank you.

Hmm, I guess y'all are reading something into the guy's question that I am not. In any case, I should be clear that my response (define psychologically healthy) had a double intention. First, it's important for me to understand what he means in order to answer. Second, and more importantly, it's necessary for him to understand what he means in order to plan a course of action. Too many people embark on a journey to emotional health without a clear destination. There has to be goals, just like with physical health. However, there are no standards for emotional health as there are for physical health. There are no magical numbers like weight, BMI, blood pressure, etc.

As for resources, I'd venture to say that the only one that's absolutely necessary is the self.

I really thought it would be immediately understood. I found some definitions.

"a level of psychological well-being, or an absence of a mental disorder.[1][2] From the perspective of 'positive psychology' or 'holism', mental health may include an individual's ability to enjoy life, and create a balance between life activities and efforts to achieve psychological resilience.[1] Mental health can also be defined as an expression of emotions, and as signifying a successful adaptation to a range of demands."

"psychological and emotional well-being."

Good mental health is a sense of wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem. It enables us to fully enjoy and appreciate other people, day-to-day life and our environment. When we are mentally healthy we can:

• form positive relationships
  • use our abilities to reach our potential
  • deal with life’s challenges

Some areas I find I need to work on is doing what I have to do instead of procrasinating. I often obsess or compulsive think about a topic long after doing so is useful, and even then I may not take action, or I'll be unable to come to a decision because I'm obsessing over every little possible permutation of action and their every little consequence.

I have trouble sometimes talking to new people because I don't feel worthy. I especially don't feel comfortable socializing with girls because I feel like I have nothing to even talk to them about, and that they would have no reason to want to talk to me. I have sometimes issues with getting out of bed. Sometimes I feel anxious or stressed overly. Sometimes I don't think I'm enjoying things as I should, or don't feel much reward from doing well or achieving values. I feel like I should have done better or that what I'm doing of not of much significance. I think I am often far too serious-minded. I can't just go with the flow or enjoy the moment like many other people. I'm too lax sometimes on myself and other times I'm far too harsh.

Haven't you ever met someone who is just so relaxed, chill and happy with themselves, and who doesn't have a hard time making decisions and enjoying life? They are in touch with what they want, who they are, their purpose, their passions, they don't second guess themselves, and so on. There is no inner conflict. Their psychologly is healthy. Everything about them is inline. They do not care about what others think of them, and so on. Just a very psychologically health person. It's hard for me to come up with the complete concept as I thought it was something everyone immediately understood. Unless everyone else is completely mentally healthy from birth and it's just me who feels out of whack.

What can I do to become more psychologically healthy? What resources are there?

Since you're "enjoying life" just what is the problem?

--Brant

read Branden last big book, The Six Pillars of Self Esteem

It says 'interests', I'm interested in enjoying life. That doesn't mean I do it perfectly all the time. It means that's an interest of mine. Interest meaning "something that concerns, involves, draws the attention of, or arouses the curiosity of a person." I will have to delve completely into that book since I've found the parts I've read/listened to quite good. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about trying to find. I thought there would be other stuff concerning ones wider mental health or efficacy.

Peter,

There's been some drama lately. Perhaps that's why you got a knee-jerk reaction. I'd still like to hear how you define psychological health. What are your goals specifically? For instance, are you interested in learning how to cope with situational depression? Are you trying to improve your relationships? Do you want to develop certain parts of your personality or to change them? That's what I'm trying to get at.

There are many facets of emotional well-being, and what is important to one person may not be important to another.

Edited to add: Oops, seems we cross posted! I see you answered already. I will get back to this a bit later this afternoon as I'm off to a meeting now.

Peter,

There's been some drama lately. Perhaps that's why you got a knee-jerk reaction. I'd still like to hear how you define psychological health. What are your goals specifically? For instance, are you interested in learning how to cope with situational depression? Are you trying to improve your relationships? Do you want to develop certain parts of your personality or to change them? That's what I'm trying to get at.

There are many facets of emotional well-being, and what is important to one person may not be important to another.

Thank you for your interest and explaining what's going on lol :) Very kind of you. I was pretty confused and wasn't sure how to proceed but assumed there must be something else going on.

I had depression in the past. I know what it's like to be psychologically unhealthy and have bad thought patterns entrenched and not have the inability to enjoy anything. I don't have it now, but I feel like there's still work to be done on my psychology. I would like to be better able to understand others and also not feel unworthy, etc. I found it quite funny that someone would presume I think I'm superior, as I'm more often than not feeling the opposite. I tell myself that I'm not, but I still get that feeling. This is what I consider to be psychologically unhealthy. I know I'm fine, but I don't always feel that way. Other things I struggle with is self-image problems, and feeling ugly, etc. Others around me seem much more at ease with themselves and with living life than I do.

Mainly, I want to regain some sense of daily enjoyment. I go to uni, I do my work as best I can, I get things done, I would not say I am enjoying it all. I sometimes feel satisfied, but I don't always feel good during the day. I think people around me must think I'm such a joyless, angry person, as I walk quickly, with a stern look on my face, lost in my thoughts, planning my day, my next action, and make no eye contact or make any attempt to be social, etc. lol. I guess you have caught me in my fuzzy idea of what I'm after, and I thank you for that. I'll have to have a good think about what it is specifically I'm after. :)

Sorry for the long post.

Peter,

Sorry I was so acerbic and quick-draw on the quips. I couldn't tell your intentions from your starting tone. You wouldn't believe some of the things that happen here.

Stay tuned.

I am going to have some good shit coming for you.

(I'm a bit of a windbag when I get on a roll. :) )

And before I forget, let me offer you a warm welcome to OL.

(Hmmm... I think I just did... :) )

Michael

Peter,

Sorry I was so acerbic and quick-draw on the quips. I couldn't tell your intentions from your starting tone. You wouldn't believe some of the things that happen here.

Stay tuned.

I am going to have some good shit coming for you.

(I'm a bit of a windbag when I get on a roll. :smile: )

And before I forget, let me offer you a warm welcome to OL.

(Hmmm... I think I just did... :smile: )

Michael

Oh, thank you very much! :smile: Very much look forward to any thoughts you have; even if they are that I'm completely misguided.

"Some areas I find I need to work on is doing what I have to do instead of procrasinating. I often obsess or compulsive think about a topic long after doing so is useful, and even then I may not take action, or I'll be unable to come to a decision because I'm obsessing over every little possible permutation of action and their every little consequence."

When you obsess train yourself to not obsess by writing it all down in longhand--no typing; nothing just going around and around in your mind. This trick means you'll have to put more effort into what you are doing making it a less attractive activity. You may also come up with good stuff you'll have a record of. Get one of those college bound notebooks and carry it around with you.

--Brant

I have a theory that most psychological problems are caused by physical health problems. In other words, it's probably a hardware problem, not a software problem. If the hardware is okay (physical health is good) and it's really a software problem, then maybe it's bad premises (defective operating system).

I have a theory that most psychological problems are caused by physical health problems. In other words, it's probably a hardware problem, not a software problem. If the hardware is okay (physical health is good) and it's really a software problem, then maybe it's bad premises (defective operating system).

This is complete bullshit; pardon my English but you must be talking about Martians.

--Brant