What America Will We Give to the Future?

I didn't know Bibi was a paratrooper. I have a photo of myself in exactly the same pose, helmet and all, taken in Texas in 1965 in front of a "Flying Boxcar" (C-119) prior to a jump over Hondo, Texas.

--Brant

my last jump was out of a helicopter in 1966 just before I went to Vietnam: imagine jumping off the World Trade Center building with a parachute that's supposed to open on its own with your gut in your throat wondering when that damn chute was going to finally snap open as you go down and down faster and faster with no slip-stream from an airplane to pull it open right after 4 seconds (on 9/11 people jumped from those buildings without parachutes because they preferred that death to fire)

(Max velocity of a free-falling human being at sea level is about 220 mph and that's the go splat! speed. There was actually a case of a crew-member of a B-17 falling out of his shot-down plane without a chute who lived by hitting a hay stack. I think someone may have also survived by landing in a lake.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

600b09201e1.jpg

Case closed. :wink:

Greg

Except for a lighter complexion that is what I look like on a bike and I am not femiinized.

600b09201e1.jpg

Case closed. :wink:

Greg

Except for a lighter complexion that is what I look like on a bike and I am not femiinized.

I sincerely hope you don't ride a girl's bike like he's riding, Bob.

I also ride a bike...

_DSC8979-Edit.jpg

(riding "The Snake" in Malibu, CA)

...and have for 50 years.

Greg

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. interesting father son book.

Note that this book has nothing to do with startups, term sheets, venture capital, minimum viable product or customer adoption. As Pirsig says, its got nothing to do Zen Buddhism or motorcycles either.

But it offers some deep and powerful lessons. It’s about living an authentic life, which transcends into our startups, our ethos and our careers. Such a way of life is embedded in the DNA of every “Steve Jobs” like entrepreneur.

Quality startups are equal parts Science, Art and Religion: Science is the very basis of robust products. And in the recent years, artists and design are considered a primary facet of any startup. But what is “quality” – we only define quality mechanistically – that which we can measure. By this criterion General Motors GM +0.00% produced pure art, whereas Picasso did not, Pirsig writes. Yet good quality is not detected just by a measuring instrument – its a work of Art. Steve Jobs got that well before we all did. Now, every other person we know is a minimalistic UI/UX expert. And while Pirsig does not get too much into religion, his underlying point is clear – get your specs nailed (the Science), add some good design (the Art) and immerse yourself. The state of mind which enables a man to do work of this kind is akin to that of a religious worshipper or love. The daily effort comes from no deliberate intention or program, but straight from the heart. Those three filters – logic, creativity and soul — apply to everything in life, not just startups.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mahendraramsinghani/2012/12/16/why-every-entrepreneur-should-read-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance/

A...

Quality book

The Davy Crockett "Republic" speech from "The Alamo" movie. John Wayne said it so well!

'Republic'. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. 'Republic' is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound like a man. Some words can give you a feeling that make your heart warm. 'Republic' is one of those words.

The Davy Crockett "Republic" speech from "The Alamo" movie. John Wayne said it so well!

'Republic'. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. 'Republic' is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound like a man. Some words can give you a feeling that make your heart warm. 'Republic' is one of those words.

Prior to the Civil War 14 percent of the population were owned as property in the Republic.

God Bless America.

Prior to the Civil War 14 percent of the population were owned as property in the Republic.

37% of the population are owned as property today, Bob.

And the effing idiots did it to themselves! :laugh:

A study published Monday by Bankrate.com suggests 37 percent of Americans have credit card debt greater than or equal to their emergency savings,

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/02/23/study-suggests-1-in-3-americans-flirting-with-financial-disaster

...and that's ONLY credit cards and NOT homes or vehicles.

Greg

Legally, not so. In effect, yes. But before the Civil War if one had enough cash he could buy a Darkie.....

We cannot do that legally these days. The closest thing two it is to sign a top of the line basketball player to a three year contract.

Legally, not so. In effect, yes.

Effect always trumps legal, Bob... because one is only intellectual theory while the other is objective reality.

But before the Civil War if one had enough cash he could buy a Darkie.....

You can buy any color today and it's totally legal. It's called hiring a worker! :laugh:

And before you say that's voluntary, think again...

How many millions of people are forced to work at jobs they hate for bosses they hate... because of their own self imposed slavery to their own debts? It is these debt slaves who created the deadbeat debtor government they deserve in their own image.

71% of the US government budget is consumed by moocher entitlements and making payments on it's own massive debt.

Get ready for the next debt bubble pop on September 13th. :wink:

Greg

Effect always trumps legal, Bob... because one is only intellectual theory while the other is objective reality.

You can buy any color today and it's totally legal. It's called hiring a worker! :laugh:

That is a purchase of services and time. Not a purchase of the person bodily. Shame on you for such equivocation!!!!!

That is a purchase of services and time. Not a purchase of the person bodily. Shame on you for such equivocation!!!!!

Sorry, you're totally wrong, Bob.

When you hire someone to dig a ditch... you have literally purchased their body.

When because of your own fiscal irresponsibility you are forced to do work you hate for people you hate... you're an effing slave.

Greg

It's interesting to see the result of wrong ideas clashing. No sparks, just glop. But Bob's more right than Greg. I'd give Bob 70% right and Greg 30%, so maybe it's a good fit. Greg wants to have his slavery metaphor and eat it too. Bob doesn't reference human rights. Greg can't.

--Brant

When because of your own fiscal irresponsibility you are forced to do work you hate for people you hate... you're an effing slave.

Greg

You cannot put the ditch digger in chains and sell him to someone who is 200 miles down the river. Hiring the ditch digger does not give one the power to violate his civil or natural rights.

No please stop the bullshit.

Bob doesn't reference human rights. Greg can't.

Greg won't, because Greg only references responsibilities. :wink:

The US is drowning in peoples' personal debts...

and it is those very same debt slaves who created a deadbeat debtor government with exactly the same fiscal irresponsibility they have.

Greg

You cannot put the ditch digger in chains and sell him to someone who is 200 miles down the river.

That's the definition of a contractor, Bob! :laugh:

A contractor gets a job for $200 and gets a n***** to do it for $20.

When you have enslaved yourselt to your own debts by being, as Ayn Rand would put it, "smaller than your money"...

...you're forced to work for a-holes you hate who tell you to do what you hate doing.

The slavery is completely self-imposed.

Greg

and it is those very same debt slaves who created a deadbeat debtor government with exactly the same fiscal irresponsibility they have.

Greg

Only people will drown in their personal debts. The government--the US--can't and won't. Government, absent a revolution or coup, will be the last man standing. Look at Zimbabwe or Venezuela--Greece. The Greek government is immensely popular with Greeks. US government debt is dollar debt and it can manufacture dollars at will.

--Brant

Keynesian (debt-based) economics is near absolute its effective peak and the whole world has begun to roll over in slo-mo (the Great Depression came out of the 1920s and this next one is coming out of 70 years of post-war expansion and the ironical best assets to have may be dollars in your mattress to buy suddenly cheap assets people are desperate to sell along with unsecured bank debt to be reneged on if you have nothing attachable with a court sanctioned lien [you're likely to feel much better without that debt to begin with, especially if you haven't the knowledge and psychological strength to withstand debt collectors])

Greg

Only people will drown in their personal debts. The government--the US--can't and won't.

The government is just a bunch of failures who can't produce anything useful in the private sector, so it's not exempt from the causality of moral law any more than we are, Brant. There's always a day of reckoning when the scales are brought back into balance again by an unseen hand...

...and I believe that the next event will occur this September the 13th. I'm excited. :smile:

The drama of financial catastrophe is so much fun to watch. It's better than an apocalyptic movie because it's real life.

Greg

Tell us about Sept. 13. Should I buy my ascension robes?

--Brant

if the earth stops spinning on its axis, that's going to be quite a shock

seriously, some financial somebody trying to sell me something has also brought up that date, did you make the purchase?

Y2K was the last big fizzle; I suspect a real little fizzle

it's hard to sell bright skies and sunshine, but fight or flight is hardwired into us

you won't tell us because you paid the money and we didn't but you want to be able to say on the 14th, "I told you so"?

there is no escape from my ever-probing mind