Teenagers, please sign in.

Inky

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Achaya (carly), 15, Oregon.

Getting a crash course in objectivism from Jeff.

Welcome Achaya! So your new to Objectivism? Well, I remember my first time. LOL. Anyway, I don't know what you know or have read, but here are a few Objectivist Highlights. Ayn Rand created a philosophical system in the 20th century that blazes a path into the future. Here are just a few - and just a few - high points.

Ayn Rand's philosophical system has five parts:

1. Where do you start? Reality

2. How do you know anything? Valid Knowledge

3. How do you make the right choices in life? Ethics

4. How do you know what kind of social system is best? Capitalism

5. what good is art to you? What is art?

If you have not read Ayn Rand, but are curious to know more about her art and philosophy, it is suggested to first read her fiction. Namely, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. [My fave is The Fountainhead].

If non-fiction is your thing, it is suggested that you read “The Virtue of Selfishness”---especially the opening essay ‘The Objectivist ethics’ and “Man’s rights.” From there you can move on to ‘Philosophy: who needs it.’ The answer is: YOU DO.

For a presentation of Ayn Rand’s groundbreaking theory of concepts, with emphasis on the relationship of abstractions to concretes, her “Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology is a must read.

If politics is of interest, there is “Capitalism: The Unknown Idea.” This excellent book includes “What is capitalism?” and “The anatomy of Compromise.”

Leonard Peikoff’s “Objectivism: The philosophy of Ayn Rand” is a complete and through presentation of the Objectivist philosophy --although you will find many critics here regarding this last work.

At a sales conference preceding the publication of Atlas Shrugged, one of the salesmen asked Miss Rand whether she could present the essence of philosophy while standing on one foot. She did:

1. Metaphysics: Objective reality.

2. Epistemology: Reason

3. Ethics: Self-interest

4. Politics: Capitalism

:cool:

Talk to ya!

Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
My name is Jehni. I live in Missouri. I really shouldn't be here because I'm 20... But less than 6 months ago I was 19 so I still think of myself as a teen! :shifty:

Jehni, we need you with the grownups! You know the place--where we tear each other to pieces! :cry:

--Brant

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Great to hear, Chris. I definitely am feeling better now that it is Spring, too! I always forget how awesome flowers and fresh-cut grass are. It's the kind of weather that makes ya wanna clean out your filthy car. I mean, when I'm cruisin' with the windows down I don't want all my McD's bags flying around whappin' me in the face. :P

Hope you have a wonderful time at Cato. :)

Great to hear, Chris. I definitely am feeling better now that it is Spring, too! I always forget how awesome flowers and fresh-cut grass are. It's the kind of weather that makes ya wanna clean out your filthy car. I mean, when I'm cruisin' with the windows down I don't want all my McD's bags flying around whappin' me in the face. :P

Hope you have a wonderful time at Cato. :)

Yesterday was good too.

Gov Sanford was very good. The question period was good too. Worth catching on-line.

Howdy, Julian. :D You have a themed high-school? How does that work? Is it private?

Hi Kori,

Haha, I never thought of it that way. It's public, but I had to test to get in. It's pretty cool. Every year we do different dissections. We watch live surgeries via distance learning. Last year we did hospital rotations and next year we get to intern in a medical profession of our choice. Our curriculum is also more science-oriented, although we get the regular humanities classes.

This is not an endorsement of public schools though. :angel: It's definitely an improvement (I don't think I could have survived at a regular high school), but it is still frustrating at times.