I will never stand in the way of any Objectivist who wishes to sail to the far reaches of the earth--on his own dime--to punish some act of aggression. I may at some point even contribute loose change to the effort.

Right now I'm pretty busy fighting off home grown aggressors, including the ones who occupy this edifice:

IRS_Building_Constitution_Avenue.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A perfect example of a building that Howard Roark would not desdign design...

Thanks Brant.

Francisco said:

I will never stand in the way of any Objectivist who wishes to sail to the far reaches of the earth--on his own dime--to punish some act of aggression. I may at some point even contribute loose change to the effort.

end quote

Well said. That encapsulates a lot of thinking. “I will never stand in the way.” That means you would not initiate force, even though getting in the way appears to be passive.

“Of any Objectivist.” Which implies you consider some people to NOT BE worthy to use force and others could be correctly termed “moral avengers.” That in term implies no one who IS moral needs to be “deputized” by a government. Hmmm? I will say in the case of an emergency, YES, it is OK to use retaliatory force. Or if your designated government which you empower to use force does not use force against someone who violates human rights . . . that’s getting a bit sticky wicket so I will let you and I reconsider that.

“Sail to the far reaches of the earth.” Rights don’t stop at the border.

“. . . on his own dime . . . ” However if rights don’t stop at the border others should not be forced to pay to rectify the situation.

“. . . to punish some act of aggression.” It should be specified that an Objective reaction to a violation of human rights must be proportional to the transgression.

Francisco wrote, “I may at some point even contribute loose change to the effort.”

If I were being overly harsh I might say that implies you really don’t give two cents for the rights of others. But I agree that you should not be forced to protect others’ rights nor must you be forced to right the world’s wrongs. Don’t contribute to the world wildlife fund. Don’t give 25 bucks a month to feed a hungry child. Altruism is immoral but benevolence is a virtue.

“If you don’t have two pence Sir, then God bless you!” as the Christmas carol goes, but would you give a brief synopsis of your philosophy?