The New Economy

Theodore

From Wikipedia:

Subsonic rounds have a muzzle velocity of approximately 1,080 ft/s (330 m/s), less than the speed of sound . These rounds are sometimes equipped with extra heavy bullets of 46–61-grain (3.0–4.0 g) to improve the terminal ballistics of the slower projectile. Conversely, these rounds may contain little more than a primer and an extra-light bullet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle#Subsonic

*Pellet rifles can produce up to 1200-1300fps using alloy pellets (7.9 grain)-somewhat less with steel or lead pellets.

*Pellet pistols up to 625fps with alloy.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Towards that end, as precisely as you are capable of, define the key terms in the following sentence from the article:

low velocity subsonic 22 longs which makes it the equivalent of a pellet rifle

Thanks.

.22 caliber ammunition comes in a few lengths. Short, Long, Long Rifle, (and magnum, which fits different rifles) Longs are shorter than Long Rifles, and so generally are not as powerful, and subsonics are more common in that size.

A .22 rifle even with low velocity ammunition is as good or better than the best pellet gun. Subsonic is when the bullet doesn't travel fast enough to break the sound barrier, so it hardly makes any noise. It sounds similar to dropping a 2x6 flat onto a concrete slab... a slapping sound. We don't keep screens on the windows so I can shoot from inside the the second story bedroom.

Greg

Towards that end, as precisely as you are capable of, define the key terms in the following sentence from the article:

Thanks.

.22 caliber ammunition comes in a few lengths. Short, Long, Long Rifle, (and magnum, which fits different rifles) Longs are shorter than Long Rifles, and so generally are not as powerful, and subsonics are more common in that size.

A .22 rifle even with low velocity ammunition is as good or better than the best pellet gun. Subsonic is when the bullet doesn't travel fast enough to break the sound barrier, so it hardly makes any noise. It sounds similar to dropping a 2x6 flat onto a concrete slab... a slapping sound. We don't keep screens on the windows so I can shoot from inside the the second story bedroom.

Greg

Supersonic bullets whistle and crack depending on how close your head is to them. I assume your gun goes Bang! Bang!

--Brant

Thanks.

Greg

Supersonic bullets whistle and crack depending on how close your head is to them. I assume your gun goes Bang! Bang!

--Brant

...if I want it to. :wink:

Greg

My favorite squirrel medicine is an old J.C. Higgens Model 80 autoloader with iron sights, a really comfortable thumb grip, with 22LR. I allow myself at most one shot a day, out the back slider, which I open a crack. Usually in the morning. One shot, so that my neighbors on each side barely realize anything other than, 'Huh? Did you hear that?" Nothing but grass bank in back of me. Ground only, I never shoot up into the trees.

This 50 year old pistol is a tack driver.

i started doing this a few years ago. My wife called me at work from home, and all she could say was 'Oh my God...Oh my God...' I rushed home, found her in the basement where sewage had overflowed from basement toilet. Roto Router found 4 dead baby squirrels in the 4 inch line going out to the main. They had crawled down a vent, got into our plumbing, died, and blew up like four balloons, blocking the 4 inch line. Eventually spent alot of quality time in the basement with Clorox.

Roto Router guy told me 'not the only one of these he's seen this year; they are probably in your attic.' Sure enough, I go up and they've been partying. I installed high power strobe lights, and also started my new hobby, to whittle down the local odds.

Cute little gray destructive rats. Love when they bounce. Sleep like a baby.

I was going to buy an air rifle for my new hobby, but my Dad's old JC Higgens is more fun to shoot.

Is it this model?

84b53e2a4922cf82211fdc70e48dc7a1.jpg

That "marksman" style was quite popular in the 50's and 60's. It's a well balanced design, and keeps the edges of the slide up and away from the skin between your index finger and thumb. I have an old High Standard with the same profile, except it's loud even with subsonic ammo. Longer rifle barrels damp the sound better.

Greg

Is it this model?

84b53e2a4922cf82211fdc70e48dc7a1.jpg

That "marksman" style was quite popular in the 50's and 60's. It's a well balanced design, and keeps the edges of the slide up and away from the skin between your index finger and thumb. I have an old High Standard with the same profile, except it's loud even with subsonic ammo. Longer rifle barrels damp the sound better.

Greg

That would be it. Great trigger release. Breaks down easily. And very comfortable to shoot.

Sears gun. I recently read that it was only labeled 'JC Higgens' between about '58 and '61.

It's a little loud, but the squirrels don't seem to mind much.

regards,

Fred

Wow, nice, looks like my (see below) Browning Buckmark Camper (.22lr) which is a well made tack driver. I shoot it in the desert.

BrowningBuckMark.jpg

Wow, nice, looks like my (see below) Browning Buckmark Camper (.22lr) which is a well made tack driver. I shoot it in the desert.

BrowningBuckMark.jpg

That's neato. :smile: Browning has a good reputation for making reliable firearms. The price of .22 ammo sure has gone through the roof.

Greg

BrowningBuckMark.jpg

That's neato. :smile: Browning has a good reputation for making reliable firearms. The price of .22 ammo sure has gone through the roof.

Hello Greg

In the last 18 mos. the price of 22lr ammo here in Las Vegas (Sportsmans Wherehouse & Bass Pro Shops) has only risen about 10%. It's the supply that continues to be sparse. The 2 stores I mentioned recommend one calls to find out the next delivery, however. Once you know the day it's best to get there at store opening. You will then have a 1 brick limit to purchase.

-Joe