Hank Rearden Blackmail

Quick question, In Atlas Shrugged as you all know Hank is blackmailed into signing away Rearden Metal and later in part three realizes it was not correct for him to give in that it was immoral but, isn't he under the threat of a force, which would make him given in justified, is him signing away the metal justified but he still believes he shouldn't have or is it not justified? Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks,

David C.

David:

He signed the metal away because of his "guilt" about exposing Dagny to public ridicule over the affair.

That is not force and only worked because of his conflicts about sexuality, etc.

I do not want to say anymore because I do not know where you are in the 3rd part of the book, precisely.

A...

Thank you Selene that actually really cleared up things, don't read that as sarcastic because it could should that way, I do mean it. It was his guilt that made him sign it away, not their threat to expose him. Man this book makes me think of a ton of questions.

Thanks Again,

David C.

Thank you Selene that actually really cleared up things, don't read that as sarcastic because it could should that way, I do mean it. It was his guilt that made him sign it away, not their threat to expose him. Man this book makes me think of a ton of questions.

Thanks Again,

David C.

Glad to provide you with my understanding of Hank.

His character development, as Michael would note, his "character arc" is one of the phenomenal aspects of Atlas.

He is a very "believable" character because of his struggle with unnecessary guilt that has to be volutarily accepted.

The sanction of the victim is one of Ayn's most powerful revealations to free thought.

A...

I'd be happy to have a beer with Hank, especially if the beer can was made from his metal..

I'd be happy to have a beer with Hank, especially if the beer can was made from his metal..

We can use a can for Reardon beer over and over again for ten thousand years.

Is there that much beer on the planet?

BTW, the crystalline structure of copper precludes its use as a light and strong metal. Reardon very long carbon fibers would have hit the spot.

Ba'al Chatzaf