Eighteen People killed in Paris Shootings

BaalChatzaf

Take a few moments and reread some of the social confrontation scenes in AS, and notice that the villains use the same tactic of the polite facade accompanying the twisting of the blade. And, oh, how uncouth of Hank or Frisco or Dagny to call their bluff!

J

As an aside, no reader with any brains thought for any instant Francisco was any villain except to the villains and villainity.

Nor were they supposed to.

--Brant

hardly an original observation

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, jeez. Bombs away. No chance of hitting anyone involved in Paris attacks, unless they bomb Brussels.

France launched "massive" air strikes on the Islamic State group's defacto capital in Syria Sunday night, destroying a jihadi training camp and a munitions dump in the city of Raqqa, where Iraqi intelligence officials say the attacks on Paris were planned. [AP/NYT]

Now, there's a good laugh: Iraqi intelligence

US has flown 500 sorties against ISIS, managed to miss them every time. Frogs drop 20 bombs based on American intelligence-sharing and successfully wipe out main ISIS training camp and munitions dump in Raqqa. :blink:

"The U.S. began Sunday to share so-called targeting packages with France, identifying Islamic State targets for strikes by French warplanes. The U.S. also plans to roll back restrictions that impede intelligence sharing to make it easier for France to intensify its air campaign." [WSJ]

Note: excellent backgrounder on ISIS at The Atlantic

I wish Rachel Maddow had a different political bent, but (sigh...) she is who she is.

Once in awhile she does a piece of stellar reporting. The following is one of those times.

The way she pieced together the progress of Abdelhamid Abaaoud from failed terror attacks in Europe earlier this year to the successful one in Paris is the best in-depth report I have seen on the Paris massacre so far. By far the best.

It's chilling that, in her words, this guy is getting better as he goes along. And it's even more chilling that he keeps a public profile while doing it and escaping, even being interviewed in a magazine.

Michael

Also, it seems like Anonymous is on its gig.

Anonymous formally declared war on ISIS:

First virtual blood:

One Day Later, Anonymous Already Takes Down 3,824 Pro-ISIS Twitter Accounts

There are links in that article where Anonymous is posting a database of the information it is collecting on ISIS members and reporting procedures for anyone who suspects an account they know of is ISIS-related (they vet the accounts reported before including them).

Cool... Crowdsourced espionage.

The best part is that it seems to be working.

Michael

Excellent, chalk up two more Jihadi's dead in Belgium, One female piece of Jihadi trash was a woman who went boom and a sniper nailed the other other piece of scum.

One or more holed up and surrounded...

Ah, that felt so good to type.

Vive La France!!

Update: Looks like they got the third dog...

You just have to be willing and able to help them out.

--Brant

all the way out

How they get killed is critical to them. I see a level of frustration growing by recent terror attacks, like a bully kid in your neighborhood who goes from house to house taunting kids to come out and fight, and nobody wants to take him on. So he begins throwing rocks through windows. I think Isis sees itself as the mother of all Allah's medieval Armies who must fight to the finish on a battlefield of their choosing against all the Force of Western Evil. Aerial bombing and drone tactics from a safe distance by the coalition is maddening and cowardly to them. The west must show them the honor of hand to hand combat to die true martyrs. Twisted, but that has always been clear. It has never only been about territorial gains, this is ideological. Obama and others have failed to understand their mysticism and psychology, and underestimated the threat. Essentially, Isis are declaring, if you don't come to us we will come to you.

Jihadi trash... piece of scum... dog...

There are some hundreds of thousands of young people in the cohort, millions if you include Hamas, Hezbollah, Houthi, Al Battar, Al Nusra, Boko Haram, Muslim Brotherhood, Taliban, Mujahideen in Chechnya (I can't keep track of them all). European and American young people are joining http://nypost.com/2014/06/20/us-muslims-flocking-to-jihadist-group-isis/ drawn by YouTube and Twitter content http://www.terrorismanalysts.com/pt/index.php/pot/article/view/klausen-et-al-youtube-jihadists/html

If we follow the money, the Big Scum are U.S. allies Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, former allies Iran and Pakistan.

Killing three kids in St Denis was easy.

Jihadi trash... piece of scum... dog...

There are some hundreds of thousands of young people in the cohort, millions if you include Hamas, Hezbollah, Houthi, Al Battar, Al Nusra, Boko Haram, Muslim Brotherhood, Taliban, Mujahideen in Chechnya (I can't keep track of them all). European and American young people are joining http://nypost.com/2014/06/20/us-muslims-flocking-to-jihadist-group-isis/ drawn by YouTube and Twitter content http://www.terrorismanalysts.com/pt/index.php/pot/article/view/klausen-et-al-youtube-jihadists/html

If we follow the money, the Big Scum are U.S. allies Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, former allies Iran and Pakistan.

Killing three kids in St Denis was easy.

And again, I do not get your point?

Nor do we know if they were "kids."

Do me a favor, don't understand me "so fast," as Yul Brenner says to Harry in the Magnificent Seven.

Did I say killing these "kids" was difficult?

A...

The raid lasted seven hours and in the end, two people were killed and seven people were arrested, three in the apartment itself, two nearby, the landlord, and the landlord’s female “friend.” [Zero Hedge]

Nope, no kids under 5, I guess.

That was non responsive.

The raid lasted seven hours and in the end, two people were killed and seven people were arrested, three in the apartment itself, two nearby, the landlord, and the landlord’s female “friend.” [Zero Hedge]

Nope, no kids under 5, I guess.

That was non responsive.

Sorry. Still trying to understand what happened. Police fired 5,000 rounds and lobbed grenades. [AP]

Blonde woman with long hair in the flat shouted "Help me, help me!" from a window then blew herself up. [Daily Mail]

One of the suspects—a woman—shot back at police using a Kalashnikov before detonating a suicide vest. [WSJ]

Sniper shot one man dead, who may or may not have been Abdelhamid Abaaoud. [WaPo]

...or Abdelhamid Abaaoud committed suicide inside the flat. [indian Express]

It remains unknown as to whether he had been in the property. [Euronews, Sky News]

Firefight eliminated a terrorist cell and likely prevented another attack. [uSA Today]

New Paris terror unit was 'ready to strike.' [The Australian, Reuters, WaPo]

I don't think any of those reports are true, except 100+ cops firing 5,000 rounds, and maybe this:

Work is now underway to prevent the main building targeted from collapsing. [Euronews]

Oh, jeez... At the Vatican, children, pensioners and even nuns were being searched ahead of

the Pope's weekly general audience. [Daily Mail] Okay, sister, bend over and spread 'em.

2E8E660600000578-0-image-a-31_1447846505

The world has gone nuts.

Here's a glimpse of what Glenn Beck used to be before he decided to become a prophet.

He's discussing how a string of Obama's errors helped get us from the Arab Spring to the Paris massacre.

I hope this Glenn Beck sticks around, at least for awhile.

But I'm not counting on it. Leading a flock to and for God is heady stuff once you get hooked.

Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy what little emerged. When Glenn connects big-picture dots like he did above with Megyn Kelly, he gives some great food for thought.

Michael

Welcome back Glenn...stick around for a bit.

What a difference, thanks Michael.

Sniper shot one guy dead, who may or may not have been Abdelhamid Abaaoud. [WaPo]

...or Abdelhamid Abaaoud committed suicide inside the flat. [indian Express]

Oops.

Sorry, Wolf. I should have looked better before posting.

Michael

Police will have to officially confirm or deny, but went there to get Abaaoud, based on "informants."

France Unsure if Raid Killed Top Suspect in Paris Attacks [NY Times]

French Police Unsure Of Attack Mastermind's Status After Deadly Raid [HuffPo]

Belgian jihadist mastermind of Paris attacks killed in raid [Daily Mail]

Paris attacks mastermind Abaaoud fate unknown [bBC]

Francois Molins says eight people arrested after Saint-Denis raids, and at least two suspects killed. He did not confirm Washington Post's two intelligence sources who claim that Abdelhamid Abaaoud and Salah Abdeslam were killed in this morning's raid in the north of Paris. Their deaths have reportedly been confirmed by forensics analysis. [Telegraph]

A body riddled with bullets was found in the debris, but the state of the corpse did not allow for it to be identified.

Molins said: "I am not able to give you a precise number and identity of those killed. There are at least two dead and verifications will likely take longer than expected" due to the state of the apartment building. [bangkok Post]

Sad state of affairs, having to quote a newspaper in Bangkok.

Was Abdelhamid Abaaoud present in the apartment raided Wednesday morning by the men of raid in Saint-Denis? Francois Molins, the prosecutor of Paris has not yet answered the question. [L'Express via Google Translate]

I think two Syrian refugees have been discovered with false documents and I listened to that Isis leader the other day, as he sat in a military vehicle. He said, “American blood is the best, and we will taste it soon.”

What would your reaction be if France decides to use nuclear weapons against Isis? And would you support the U.S. using nuclear weapons against intransigent enemies who care relatively nothing for their own lives or for the lives of innocents? I think the discussion has gone that far because THEY have descended that low. I would not target civilians of course and I would insist that we follow the guidelines prescribed for a World War as it regards noncombatants and civilians in a war zone. And we must cut off all sources of funding including destroying enemy held oil fields, now. An atomic bomb would stop the drilling with no loss of NATO lives. The precedent has already been set by the United States.

As the lesser of two evils we might also use massive conventional bombs, fire bombs, poison gas and even short lived biological weapons, and or boots on the ground. And we will show no mercy nor add to the jails at Gitmo.

Peter

Notes:
Tim Starr was asked on Atlantis: Does anyone seriously question that the Japanese government, after witnessing the apocalyptic effects of a nuclear explosion on, say, a deserted island or at sea, would've have been strongly swayed toward surrender?

And Tim answered: Yes, they did, as I have already said, right here on this e-mail list, in this discussion we've been having, and I've already cited my source on this, Richard Frank's "Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire." There was no reason at the time to believe that Japan would've surrendered after a demo a-bombing of an unpopulated target, and there's even less reason to believe that now, as we now know that Japan didn't surrender until after two a-bombings of populated targets. Even then, the Japanese ruling council was willing to continue the war, and it was only the Emperor's personal intervention on behalf of peace that got the council to decide to surrender.

Furthermore, we now know that even the two atomic bombings plus the Emperor's personal intervention were not enough to guarantee Japan's surrender, as we now know that there was a plot within the Japanese military to assassinate the Emperor, as had been done to his predecessor, if he moved for peace. It was only after this plot failed that Japan's surrender was guaranteed, and I just saw a new book about the reason why the plot failed.

It turns out that there was another aerial bombing raid by the US against Japan after Nagasaki. The bomber was carrying a payload of conventional explosives, but the Japanese didn't know that and feared it would be another atomic bomb. So, they blacked out Tokyo, which the bomber overflew on the way to its target, thereby disrupting the plot to overthrow the Emperor. By the time of his unprecedented public radio broadcast to the Japanese people, who had never heard his voice before, calling for peace, it was too late for the plotters to prevent peace.

So, not only was the a-bombing of Hiroshima insufficient to get Japan to surrender, not even was the a-bombings of Hiroshima AND Nagasaki insufficient to get Japan to surrender, it turns out that not even the combined a-bombings of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, AND the Emperor's personal intervention for peace, were enough to ensure Japan's surrender. All of those things contributed to Japan's surrender, but if the plot to overthrow the Emperor had succeeded, the war would've continued.

Furthermore, as I've also already said before, here, the death tolls from the a-bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki weren't unprecedented, only the weapon. The firebombing of Tokyo alone had a higher death toll than the combined death tolls from the a-bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki, and yet Japan didn't surrender within a few days of the firebombing of Tokyo.

Jeff Olson criticizes the US for not waiting more than 3 days after Hiroshima before hitting Nagasaki, but what reason did the US have to believe that Japan would've surrendered if only the US had waited longer? Did Japan surrender 4 days after the firebombing of Tokyo? No. How long does Jeff think the US ought to have waited before hitting Nagasaki? A week? A month?

New York Magazine sets new Affirmative Action record, reverses who did what.

A police raid on an apartment in the northern Paris suburb of Saint-Denis led to an hours-long standoff early

Wednesday morning in which "terrorists fired 5,000 rounds," according to Paris prosecutor François Molins.

McClatchy has a slightly different account that seems plausible. Take no prisoners.

one of those killed in Wednesday’s raid died in a hand grenade blast as police charged into the building.

5 hours later...

French authorities have continued efforts overnight to determine whether Abdelhamid Abaaoud was among those killed in an anti-terrorist raid... Following much media speculation that Abaaoud had either been shot or had committed suicide, Molins urged the press to give the authorities time to properly carry out their investigation. [Deutsche Welle]

and more truthiness from BBC just now...

A leader of one of the special forces units that took part in the raid said drones and robots equipped with cameras had been used to try to see inside the flat during the operation but there was too much debris. Jean-Michel Fauverge told Le Figaro newspaper that when they entered the building they found a body that had fallen from the third floor to the second. "The corpse was mutilated, probably from grenades and he wasn't recognisable," he said.

Uh-oh.

A European manhunt continued on Thursday for the suspected planner of the Paris attacks, a day after a raid on a French apartment block... [News24]

Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at once. Lately it doesn't seem to be working. – Anonymous.

Wolf wrote: McClatchy has a slightly different account that seems plausible. Take no prisoners.
end quote

The news reported we are finally targeting enemy trucks hauling oil that may be driven by civilians who may or may not be coerced. We are giving the drivers 45 minutes to abandon their trucks before we destroy them. And seagoing tankers are going to be targeted for conventional destruction if they are linked to Isis oil. There may be oil released into the environment but that is better than good people dying.

Authorities are warning that the next terrorist attack will involve chemical weapons. New York is the most likely target, if the chatter is believable, with DC the next most likely target. If any type of weapon is available Islamic terrorist will use it to achieve the maximum number of dead noncombatants. As one recent leader of Iran said, when we acquire nuclear weapons we will immediately use it to destroy Israel. They do not care if civilians are killed even if they are fellow Muslims, like the Palestinians. Are all forms of self defense moral?

Back in time, Philip Coates wrote: How can the killings of non-combatants by the US government, intentional or not -- possibly be legally or morally allowed? I first ran across this argument stated by Murray Rothbard when I sat in on a class he gave in NYC. He stated that if the Soviet Union were to launch a nuclear attack on the United States and kill millions of people, the U.S. would be morally wrong to retaliate with a second strike because it would kill more millions of people in the Soviet Union, the overwhelming majority of whom were innocent.

I was aghast and horrified that this influential libertarian was spouting such a grotesquely false and twisted (and suicidal) version of the non-initiation of force principle.
end quote

A nuclear weapon used by NATO, France, or Russia in a sparsely populated area against military targets has several moral advantages. Many civilians from those Isis controlled areas are already refugees and gone from the blast zone. The enemy, civilian cohabiters and abettors, within the nuclear weapon’s range, will be killed. No Americans or allies will be killed.

...Authorities are warning that the next terrorist attack will involve chemical weapons. New York is the most likely target, if the chatter is believable, with DC the next most likely target....

What specific "authority?"

The Tinfoil Hat Tribune?

tinfoilhat.gifth_tinfoil.gif84f55bdc6866.gif <<<< Peter's authorities....

Peter's Pate Cover...

tin-foil-hat.jpg