This is What Journalism Used to Look Like in America - Lara Logan

Michael Stuart Kelly

This is What Journalism Used to Look Like in America - Lara Logan

Remember the lady journalist who got raped in Egypt during the Arab Spring? Her name is Lara Logan and she works for "60 Minutes," in case anyone forgot.

She just gave one hell of a presentation in Chicago at the Better Government Association annual luncheon yesterday (Oct. 9) about what she does and why she does it. And there is an excerpt from her "60 Minutes" report.

She also debunked the outright lies the administration is feeding us about Al Queda and the Taliban. She is probably the reason the State Department is flip-flopping all over the place about the Libyan Embassy attack.

I listened to this talk and I thought I was time traveling--that I was in the USA before I left for Brazil back in the 1970's. It felt good. Real good.

You can catch the story on Real Clear Politics here and Fox News here.

Her main message is that the USA did not accomplished its mission of neutralizing Al Qaeda or the Taliban, is nowhere near accomplishing it, and the USA government is spinning what is really going on to make it look like the USA is almost finished doing precisely that.

She also defended her way of approaching journalism by saying the relationship of the news to war was forever changed when Daniel Pearl got his throat cut by the Taliban on video.

And she knows what needs to happen to get things under control. Here's a quote from the Fox News report:
Logan also encouraged the administration to "exact revenge" on the terrorists who killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans serving in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11. She said she hopes America will "let the world know that the United States will not be attacked on its own soil -- that its ambassadors will not be murdered, and that the United States will not stand by and do nothing about it."

She compared the attack on the consulate to the attack on the USS Cole, which went unanswered and was a precursor to the 9/11 attacks in 2001.

Like I said, it's one hell of a talk. I have had a concept restored to me, one that I hadn't perceived was underground. I can once again say the word "journalist" and in my mind not think "propagandist" at the same time. The word "journalist" can mean something good, courageous, objective and someone who acts with high standards. I now have a conceptual referent for this. The name of that referent is Lara Logan.

Michael

When I posted this, I had not seen Adam's thread: Lara Logan - A Courageous Woman From Main Stream Media Gives Powerful Speech Warning About Radical Muslim Threat.

Here is what I posted there:

Adam,

I didn't notice this before I posted my own thread on Lara Logan: This is What Journalism Used to Look Like in America - Lara Logan.

I should merge the two threads, but this lady--this hero--deserves to have two threads open and people talking about her. It's the least we can do to promote the best among us.

I'm also linking from the other one to here.

Michael

Lara Logan's message has been further underlined.

By the Taliban shooting of a 14-year-old girl in Swat.

And by the complete unraveling of the Obama administration's cover story concerning the September 11 attack in Benghazi.

Robert Campbell