Is anyone here involved on model railroading?

GALTGULCH8

Baal,

I don't know the scale-speed. In normal playtime, I doubt that anyone pays it much attention. However, I will make an inquiry. During Operations sessions when the desire is to run as prototypically as possible, maybe then it is a factor looked at.

For our layout, the intent is to make it conform largely to ~1940-1960-ish scenery and much of the rolling stock, so I'm sure there is no interest in modelling mag-lev. But your idea might become popular once we get room temperature superconductivity.

18 hours ago, Dennis Edwall said:

Baal,

I don't know the scale-speed. In normal playtime, I doubt that anyone pays it much attention. However, I will make an inquiry. During Operations sessions when the desire is to run as prototypically as possible, maybe then it is a factor looked at.

For our layout, the intent is to make it conform largely to ~1940-1960-ish scenery and much of the rolling stock, so I'm sure there is no interest in modelling mag-lev. But your idea might become popular once we get room temperature superconductivity.

I was a rail buff during the 1950's.   I loved steam locomotives in a way that I will never love diesels.   My favorite  railroads  are subways and inter-urban electrics  (now called light rail).  The greatest moment of my life  was when I was 15.  I struck up a conversation with a motorman on the Staten Island Rapid Transit System.   It was around 2:00 pm and I was the only passenger aboard a 3 car multiple unit train.  I showed the motorman that I understood the electrical controls  and the Westinghouse  electro-mechanical braking system (how many 15 year old guys do you know who know the internals of  UE-6 electropnsuematic brake control valve).   Now get this:  The motor man let me drive the train between two stations.  There were no passengers  to pick up and we were the only scheduled train on the Tottenville Branch.  I  swear that was the greatest moment of my life  until (1)  my first fuck   and (2)  I flew  solo in a soaring plane (aka glider).  He told me I handled the brakes and controller like a pro.  Running a train and flying solo are the two most exciting things a man can do with his clothes on. Possibly landing the LEM on the Moon is more exciting, but I missed that by 30 years. I could only watch. 

Baal,

That's quite a story. Thanks for sharing. 

<<I used to do that when I was young. 

You ought to be doing that NOW!

In our club, most of the members are old timers, so the challenge is to get more young people interested to keep the hobby alive for future generations. 

12 hours ago, Dennis Edwall said:

Baal,

That's quite a story. Thanks for sharing. 

<<I used to do that when I was young. 

You ought to be doing that NOW!

In our club, most of the members are old timers, so the challenge is to get more young people interested to keep the hobby alive for future generations. 

I have several other commitments.   But if my grandchildren want to get into be rail buffs or modelers  I surely will give them whatever aid and encouragement I can.  

Right now I am into thermodynamics  and climate studies.  That takes a lot of time.

What I would like to see (and probably will not)  is the beginning of mag-lev  high speed transit.  Why settle for a mere 300 km/hr?  The future of ground transport should belong to electromotive propulsion. It will be the culmination of Frank Sprague's work when he put electric motors  on  rail trucks (wheel sets).  The Sprague propulsion system made underground railroads feasible (First London, the New York).  The successor  linear electric motor.  should be the future.  Fast and Clean.