One Of The Most Beautiful, Touching and Meaningful Commercials I Have Seen In Years - Great Beer Too!

Selene

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These haters are the type who used to take pride, on the old SOLOYahoo group, for example, in expressing rage at Marc Quinn's sculpture of Alison Lapper, and in calling her all sorts of vulgar names, but then being unable to explain why they don't take the same condemnatory attitude toward The Miracle Worker and Helen Keller. The interesting thing to me here is that they apparently idolize Rand enough that she was able override their grunting, evolutionary instinct to attack those with birth defects in specific, individual cases. So, is that also an evolutionary instinct? When the queen elephant says "I like that blind/deaf/mute baby elephant," they obey the implied order that she is to be left alone?

Jonathan,

Nah.

I suspect this facet is piss-poor storytelling chops.

:smile:

That's a quip, but I'm serious.

From what I've read over the years, some of them can't get their mythology straight. And, like people caught up in other mythologies (in both religion and science--and even politics), once they've learned The Story a certain way, that's the way it stays. It doesn't have to make sense to them anymore. It becomes the standard for what makes sense. A is A means The Story is The Story. Not to be questioned and everything is pegged to it.

I just had a thought for a term. How does "axiomatic story" sound to you?

Michael

These haters are the type who used to take pride, on the old SOLOYahoo group, for example, in expressing rage at Marc Quinn's sculpture of Alison Lapper, and in calling her all sorts of vulgar names, but then being unable to explain why they don't take the same condemnatory attitude toward The Miracle Worker and Helen Keller. The interesting thing to me here is that they apparently idolize Rand enough that she was able override their grunting, evolutionary instinct to attack those with birth defects in specific, individual cases. So, is that also an evolutionary instinct? When the queen elephant says "I like that blind/deaf/mute baby elephant," they obey the implied order that she is to be left alone?

Jonathan,

Nah.

I suspect this facet is piss-poor storytelling chops.

That's a quip, but I'm serious.

From what I've read over the years, some of them can't get their mythology straight. And, like people caught up in other mythologies (in both religion and science--and even politics), once they've learned The Story a certain way, that's the way it stays. It doesn't have to make sense to them anymore. It becomes the standard for what makes sense. A is A means The Story is The Story. Not to be questioned and everything is pegged to it.

I just had a thought for a term. How does "axiomatic story" sound to you?

Michael

Axiomatic story.

I think you are on to something, MSK.

Michael, you mentioned not getting the mythology straight. One good example of this is:

"Money is the root of all evil."

When it's actually:

"The love of money is the root of all evil."

What began as a moral priority of loving what's right more than money got perverted into Marxism.

Greg

Greg,

Those are not axiomatic stories (in the sense I mean). Those are value judgments within axiomatic stories.

That's why they mean different things to different people (who live according to different axiomatic stories).

Hmmmm...

Who knows? If I say "axiomatic stories" long enough, I can start creating my own jargon....

Axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories, axiomatic stories.

There.

I'm getting my own jargon and the slippery slope has begun

I'm gonna be a guru, folks!

Michael

(And drinking Budweiser - no, Millers, no- what was that Irish drink again?)

The History of Beer in 3 Minutes

Unfreaking unbelievable. He did that with an Etcha-Sketch™???!!!!!!!

Ba'al Chatzaf

(And drinking Budweiser - no, Millers, no- what was that Irish drink again?)

The History of Beer in 3 Minutes

Unfreaking unbelievable. He did that with an Etcha-Sketch™???!!!!!!!

Ba'al Chatzaf

I assume so, however, first time I have seen his stuff. Therefore, I can not verify that.

I thought at first, the drawings must have been authored with an animation program, but apparently Todd Boudreaux created this video and others on YouTube using only the Etch-A-Sketch toy and a video camera. It takes him about two hours per minute of video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/toddssketches/videos

Thanks.

It passed the smell test for me.

I was hoping some folks here would be able to affirm the legitamacy of Bob's acceptance...

Good job.

A...

I thought at first, the drawings must have been authored with an animation program, but apparently Todd Boudreaux created this video and others on YouTube using only the Etch-A-Sketch toy and a video camera. It takes him about two hours per minute of video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/toddssketches/videos

That is almost like clay-mation. Better than "Chicken Run"

• 7 years later...

I like that Geico commercial where the driver of the car starts singing and then the hood ornament of a woman’s face joins in. Its creepy but cool.     

Pet Shop Boys.

I've got the brains
You've got the looks
Let's make lots of money
You've got the brawn
I've got the brains
Let's make lots of...