Inserting quotes from other posts

Quote Feature

Here is how you can use the quote feature on OL.

I. How to insert a quote using the automatic QUOTE Button

1. Start by deciding on the post on OL you want to quote. Click the automatic QUOTE button at the bottom of the post.

Quotefeature01.jpg

2. The QUOTE button turns reddish. Now click on ADD REPLY to open your own new post, the one you want to write.

Quotefeature02.jpg

3. The text box for a new post will open, but it will not be empty. It will contain the text and code of the post you want to quote.

Quotefeature03.jpg

4. Type your message. Insert your own text where you wish. You can put it above the quoted post or below it. In the example below, it is inserted below it.

Quotefeature04.jpg

Be careful that you do not delete any part of the code when inserting text. Code will always be in between brackets (“[ ]”) as follows:

Start code for quote: quoteinbrackets-startplusinfo.jpg

Notice that “quote” and some information is given between the brackets.

Stop code for quote: quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg

Notice that “/quote” by itself (with no extra information) is given between the brackets.

Be careful. Even if you only delete one bracket, the code will not work. Also, every start code must end with a stop code, i.e., if one is left dangling, the quote feature will not work. Also, please note that there are no quotation marks in the code.

You need to be careful not to make a mistake when you add your new text. Type in your text before or after the code for a quoted post—never in between the start code and stop code. If you type in your own text between quoteinbrackets-startplusinfo.jpg (the start code) and quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg (the stop code), your text will appear in the quoted post part and it will give the impression that it was written by the person you are quoting.

5. Click the “Add Reply” button at bottom (not shown). If you like, you can preview the post first with the “Preview Post” button at bottom (not shown). After adding the reply, the message will appear as given below. If anyone who reads your post wants to go to the quoted post, he can click on the reddish box with arrow at the head of the quote. It will automatically take him there.

Quotefeature05.jpg

Note: Although it is not shown, you can delete any part of the text of the quoted post, but you cannot delete the code. Be very careful with not deleting code. Otherwise the quote feature will not work.

Deleting text is useful if you want to comment on something someone said, but not his entire post. This way you do not make your own post too long or clutter it up with material that is beside the point you are discussing.

II. How to insert 2 or more quotes using the automatic Quote Button

6. Find two or more posts you want to include in a new post you want to make. Click on the QUOTE button at the bottom of them. This buttons will change color.

Quotefeature06.jpg

In the example above, the two posts are one after the other, but they can be from widely separated parts of the same thread, or they can even be from different threads.

7. When you open your new post (with the ADD REPLY button), the text and code from the posts you selected will appear as given below.

Quotefeature07.jpg

8. Insert your own text where you wish. You can put it above the quoted posts, in between them or below them. In the example below, it is inserted below them.

Quotefeature08.jpg

Once again, you can delete part of the quoted posts, but be very careful not to delete any code.

Reminder: Every quoteinbrackets-startplusinfo.jpg (start code) must end with a quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg (stop code). If one is left dangling, the quote feature will not work.

If you type in your own text between the quoted posts, it must be inserted after the quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg (stop code) of the first post (upper) and before the quoteinbrackets-startplusinfo.jpg (start code) of the second post (lower).

9. Click the “Add Reply” button at bottom (not shown). If you like, you can preview the post first with the “Preview Post” button at bottom (not shown). After adding the reply, the message will appear as given below. If anyone who reads your post wants to go to either of the quoted posts, he can click on the reddish box with arrow at the head of each quote. It will automatically take him there.

Quotefeature09.jpg

Note: Although it is not shown, sometimes a quoted post will already contain a quote within it. If you wish this to appear as it does in the original post, you cannot delete any code. This means that in a post that already contains a quote, there will be two instances of quoteinbrackets-startplusinfo.jpg (start code). So there must be two instances of quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg (stop code). There can be more than one quote, too, but each one must have both ends of the code. For example, for a post that already contains 3 quotes, will be 4 instances of quoteinbrackets-startplusinfo.jpg (start code) and 4 instances of quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg (stop code).

If you wish to delete any quote in the original post (but keep the message), you must delete the code that belongs to it.

Don’t forget, if you leave any code dangling, the quote feature will not work in your new post.

III. How to use the Quote Button on the Message Box Toolbar

10. You can use the quote feature for normal copy/paste of text without the automatic QUOTE button at the bottom. Find the text you want to quote. Select it and copy it.

Quotefeature10.jpg

Note: The text given above is from a post on OL, but it can be from anywhere at all, including other sites and your hard disk.

11. Click the ADD REPLY button to open a new post. The message box will open and be empty. Paste the text you copied into the empty message box. Then select the text once again. It will appear as given below.

Quotefeature11.jpg

Note that a Message Box Toolbar is above the text box.

12. Now click on the “Quote Button” on the Message Box Toolbar. It looks like a dialogue blurb in comics. Make sure that the text is selected. Once you click on the “Quote Button,” code will be inserted into the text and it will no longer be selected.

Quotefeature12.jpg

Note that there is no information at all after the word “quote” between brackets. In this case, quoteinbrackets-start.jpg is what the start code now looks like. But it still needs to end with quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg (stop code).

If you do not want to use the “Quote Button” on the Message Box Toolbar, you can manually type in the code, typing quoteinbrackets-start.jpg at the start and quoteinbrackets-stop.jpg at the end of the quoted words.

13. Click the “Add Reply” button at bottom (not shown). If you like, you can preview the post first with the “Preview Post” button at bottom (not shown). After adding the reply, the message will appear as given below.

Quotefeature13.jpg

Note that the word QUOTE appears at the top of the quoted part. You cannot remove this word. Sorry, but that’s just the way the program is.

IV. How to add a name using the Quote Button on the Message Box Toolbar

14. You can also identify who the quote is from by typing the name of the person inside the code, but you have to use an equal sign: =. After you have copied your text into the empty message box, selected the text and clicked on the “Quote Button” on the Message Box Toolbar, all as given above, you need to type in extra information within the brackets in the start code.

After the word “quote” but before the end-bracket, insert “=” (without the quotation marks). Then type the name of the person. Do not let any empty space occur before or after the “=” sign. Suppose the name of the person was “Whatever Name You Wish.” Here is how you would do this. Your original start code will look like this:

quoteinbrackets-start.jpg

After you type “=” and “Whatever Name You Wish” after the word “quote” but before the end-bracket (do not include the quotation marks or let any empty spaces occur before or after the “=” sign), it will look like this:

quoteinbrackets-startplusname.jpg

In the example below, the name is “ang4vols”, so with the equal sign and name typed in, there is “quote=ang4vols” between brackets.

Quotefeature14.jpg

Note that in the example above, there is new text inserted below the quoted passage.

15. Click the “Add Reply” button at bottom (not shown). If you like, you can preview the post first with the “Preview Post” button (not shown). After adding the reply, the message will appear as given below.

Quotefeature15.jpg

Now you are ready to use the quote feature in several different manners.

• 2 months later...

Here is another example I just did with another post.

Greg,

Here is how to do it if you want to respond to different points in a post. I have to put this in a CODE box, otherwise it will execute the code. Take your post to me from before as an example (I am eliminating my embedded quote for simplicity.) It should read like this:

[quote name='Greg Browne' date='May 27 2007, 06:25 PM' post='28862']I am trying to reply to Cal point by point, inserting my replies to statements as I go along, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that shown in the tutorial.  Apparently I'll have to give up using the quote system in the website and just indicate quotations in the traditional way.[/quote]

Say you want to use this 3 times. You will have to copy/paste the code header so that it appears at the beginning of each section (meaning another 2 times). This is the code header:

[quote name='Greg Browne' date='May 27 2007, 06:25 PM' post='28862']

Don't forget the end code must be at the end of each section, otherwise it will not work properly. Your post should read like the following:

[quote name='Greg Browne' date='May 27 2007, 06:25 PM' post='28862']I am trying to reply to Cal point by point, inserting my replies to statements as I go along... [/quote]
This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment.

[quote name='Greg Browne' date='May 27 2007, 06:25 PM' post='28862']... but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that shown in the tutorial.[/quote]
This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment.

[quote name='Greg Browne' date='May 27 2007, 06:25 PM' post='28862']Apparently I'll have to give up using the quote system in the website and just indicate quotations in the traditional way.[/quote]
This is your third comment. This is your third comment. This is your third comment. This is your third comment. This is your third comment.

After you preview the page or post it, it should look like the following:

I am trying to reply to Cal point by point, inserting my replies to statements as I go along...

This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment. This is your first comment.

... but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that shown in the tutorial.

This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment. This is your second comment.

Apparently I'll have to give up using the quote system in the website and just indicate quotations in the traditional way.

This is your third comment. This is your third comment. This is your third comment. This is your third comment. This is your third comment.

Did that help?

Michael

Here is another explanation.

Greg,

I have to go to the CODE field again so the code will not execute.

If you have [quote] and [/quote]+[/quote], it will not execute. You have one start code and two stop codes.

If you have [quote]+[quote] and [/quote], it will not execute. You have two start codes and one stop code.

Every [quote] must have a corresponding [/quote]. There must be an equal number of start codes and stop codes.

If you should have 14 start codes and 13 stop codes, it will not work. There would need to be 14 start codes and 14 stop codes, or 13 start codes and 13 stop codes.

Even when you have other information like
[quote name='Dragonfly' date='May 28 2007, 03:16 PM' post='28927']
in your start code, this counts as if it were [quote].

Does that help?

I take long posts by block and make sure each block has the same number of start and stop codes.

Michael