Alex Hammy

Gary Fisher

The 19th century was an era of rapid industrialization and economic growth. Economic policy was dominated by Alexander Hamilton's and Henry Clay's "American School" of economics. It advocated for protectionist tariffs, subsidies to industry, and a central bank.

Unfortunately, in the eyes of most libertarians, these sins are unforgivable, and, to hear it from them, one would think that Alexander Hamilton was the worst power-hungry, republic-subverting, dictator-wannabe statist since Julius Caesar. So they throw in their lot with a slaveholder who had a penchant for flowery rhetoric about liberty, *cough* Jefferson *cough*, instead of an abolitionist who preserved his country's economic and political independence from Europe and who laid the foundations of its mighty economy.

Why does a founding father's position on slavery count for so little, when slavery is obviously the first thing that has to go in a free society?

I admired Hamilton because he fought next to Washington during the Revolution as commander of a cannon battery thus risking his life. But it was disheartening to discover that Hamilton favored having a King who would appoint governors of the States and especially that he recommended a central bank. I have not yet read Hamilton's Curse which recounts all the misguided ideas Hamilton had which have been implemented and haunt us to this day.

What bothers me even more was that so much was given in to the representatives of the slave states during the convention at which a Declaration of Independence was voted on. In the first draft there were clauses which would have abolished slavery. They had to be deleted in order to get the vote for independence as representatives of the slave states had made sure that a vote for independence had to be unanimous earlier in the convention.

I wish we knew whether there was any attempt to persuade those slave state representatives but even if they had voted for independence the Constitution would not have been ratified by their state legislatures. Has everyone here seen Twelve Years a Slave which depicts some of the horror these people had to endure.

No excuse.

To think that Wilberforce succeeded in having slavery abolished without a civil war in England.

Henry Mark Holzer posted another video on his blog about the present day evil young men in our society who engage in the Knock Out game which I cannot bear to watch. It is rather disheartening that such thugs exist in America. I think one got to be in the most powerful position in the land. He may not hit you when you are not looking but is more than willing to steal your hard earned money as his purposes are superior to your own. Just like he did with the health insurance if yours was not good enough.

Alex, I think you should see the musical 1776 to begin with. Slavery still exists in the form of the Income Tax and other taxes. Then read Griffin's The Creature From Jekyll Island which exposes the Federal Reserve System which Hamilton naively favored as a central bank.

gg