Atlas Shrugged Part III Trailer

Hi all,

Here is the trailer for the final installment in the film series. I personally thought it looked rather bad, let me know what you guys think?

Thanks,

David C.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsvboXXjQs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realized I should have post this in the movies and entertainment section but I don't know how to move it. I apologize in advance.

Hi all,

Here is the trailer for the final installment in the film series. I personally thought it looked rather bad, let me know what you guys think?

Thanks,

David C.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsvboXXjQs

Thks,

1. They should lose the re-verb voice of John in the opening;

2. The dark lighting is awful;

3. Dagny's hairdo??

A...

Thanks! I did not know there was a third trailer. Looks fine. Myself, I generally do not criticize a work that I could not have surpassed. Laurel and I save seen some uninspiring movies together, but a work of art reflects you or not. If you don't like Gauguin's theme, that's fine, but unless you can paint like that, don't bitch about how he mixed his pigments.

Since April 13, 2011, we have suffered a slew of nasal nattering from self-annointed geniuses who apparently never have managed $10 million worth of anything... and then grew it...

Could someone else do better? Perhaps. Will someone else do better. Perhaps. Which remake of Pride and Prejudice is your favorite? When your children on Titan or your grandchildren in the Oort belt are taxed for their ions and ices, this will be remade once more.

In the mean time, we have this. (Unless, you have one of your own for us...)

First Trailer

Second Trailer

Michael,

The purpose of a trailer is to showcase a movie at its best.

This trailer is abysmal.

The others you posted are actually better because they referenced larger themes and used less actual movie footage... which can also be a tip off. It's like listing a home for sale where the only picture is a view of the yard.

I have no problem critiquing movies because I'm a paying customer which is the foundation upon which every Capitalist venture is built.

Greg

The first trailer is excellent. Thank you.

Nolo contendre on the second/

A...

Thanks! I did not know there was a third trailer. Looks fine. Myself, I generally do not criticize a work that I could not have surpassed. Laurel and I save seen some uninspiring movies together, but a work of art reflects you or not. If you don't like Gauguin's theme, that's fine, but unless you can paint like that, don't bitch about how he mixed his pigments.

Since April 13, 2011, we have suffered a slew of nasal nattering from self-annointed geniuses who apparently never have managed $10 million worth of anything... and then grew it...

Could someone else do better? Perhaps. Will someone else do better. Perhaps. Which remake of Pride and Prejudice is your favorite? When your children on Titan or your grandchildren in the Oort belt are taxed for their ions and ices, this will be remade once more.

In the mean time, we have this. (Unless, you have one of your own for us...)

Based on my experience in independent films, I am certain I could make a far better movie than Atlas I for less than the $20 million that was spent on it. Why don't I?

1. I don't have $10 million.

2. I don't have the permission of the copyright holder.

That said, I'd like to challenge that idea that only skilled artists are qualified to render judgments about works in their field.

628x471.jpg

With no knowledge of welding, casting or stone-cutting, I personally would not be able to render an outdoor sculpture on the scale of the object above.

But I do know there are there contemporary sculptors who can do better:

640px-Belfast_%28144%29%2C_October_2009.

And that is the only fact that matters.

The trailer is heinous. Let's hope for the best.

Seriously, 3 different Dagny's? It's almost becoming farcical.

I know you are correct, however, I want to not accept your correctness...

Seriously, 3 different Dagny's? It's almost becoming farcical.

I know you are correct, however, I want to not accept your correctness...

No desire to see Part III. Didn't see I or II, either. The trailers, sneak previews, and TAS clips were awful.

There were at least four shots historically to do something nice. The Paramount package for a blockbuster feature in 1972 with Albert S. Ruddy (The Godfather) and Roger Moore ('The Saint') attached. A 10-part miniseries in 1978 with Sterling Silliphant (Charly, Murphy's War) attached. A four-hour cable adaptation in 1999 with Al Ruddy again. The 2006 Lionsgate/Baldwin package with Angelina Jolie attached.

What we got instead was low-budget junk and stinko press.

I appreciate and understand that Objectivists celebrate something finally hit the screen.

Doesn't change what it is, or when -- 40 years too late to matter.

Well, all I can say is that (given the very low budget, and the time factor and the quick recruiting of actors, writers, directors, etc.) I thought Atlas I was not all that bad. I saw Atlas II on its simultaneous national debut on multiple screens across the country.. The attendance was very low - say, 40 -50 out of a 500 seat theater. I cannot comment much on the second movie because I do not remember much about it. Why they used an entirely different cast is beyond me.

Atlas III, I have not seen, pasing up the opportunity to see it at the TAS "Summit" or the Skousen event in Las Vegas. When it is released, I will dutifully attend a showing. The brief excerpts that have been shown on the net did not seem to me to be very exciting, but I want to see the whole thing.before......

Why did they again fire the whole production cast and choose others? When all three of the movies are watched in sequence, which no doubt will be happening after the DVD versions are all released, three different casts will seem rather bizarre, if not downright stupid, to viewers of the trilogy.

Atlas III was scripted with the assistence of David Kelley (in particular to adapt Galt's hour and a half speech down to minutes. I have not heard it yet but I do not hold high hopes for anything that complex and lengthy to be cut down to minutes (I do not know the exact length of the Galt's Speech adoption - it was mentioned in one of the Facebook Objectivist groups).

Apparently, Duncan Scott (who has a long history of Objectivist-related documentaries, including working with Rand on the English adaptation of the WW II era Italian production of We The Living) was also working on the script and perhaps other aspects of the production, but recently announced that he had left the project over "artistic" differences, but cannot discuss what caused his departure because of a "non-disclosure" agreement. This does not bode well for what the final product will be.

Finally, John Aglialordo has bet a good amount of his fortune on the production of this movie, and was directly involved in all aspects of its production. As a member of the Board of Directors of The Atlas Society, he also recruited the talents of David Kelley and Duncan Scott (perhaps others) to help make the productions consistent with the novel (or as much as is possible considering the finances and time involved).

If in sum, the trilogy proves a "wash,".then it will not have much effect, positive or negative, on future sales of Rand's novels, on Objectivism, and on The Atlas Society. But if, on the other hand, it is looked upon as an artistic and financial disaster, by the majority of Objectivists and libertarians who actually go see it, (and has no effect whatsoever on the great majority of the movie-going public - who will likely not go to see it), or, even worse, has no positive effect on those who did go to see it!) then I fear that it may damage, or ultimately bring down, The Atlas Society (due to the degree of their involvement with the project).

...an artistic and financial disaster...

No hope of recouping production cost. Exhibitors take 25% off the top (or a "four-wall" fee), DVD distributors take 40-50%.

Atlas 1 Domestic Total Gross: $4,627,375 Production cost: $8 million* + $1 million upfront to Peikoff

Atlas 2 Domestic Total Gross: $3,336,053 Production cost: $10 million

Atlas 3 ? Production cost: $10 million

* reported as $4-8 million, higher figure probably

includes cast, crew, and facilities deferments

Does not include time value of money or opportunity cost. Box office "gross" has to be 3x production cost to break even.

I grew up in Cleveland where Michelson and Morley failed to find the ether, where Rockefeller ran Standard Oil, where George Szell conducted Mozart, and where theater was as much a part of the city as the Indians, the Browns, and the Barons -- 20 years before Lebron James was born... So, I saw The Music Man and the Vagabond King at the Carousel, and My Fair Lady and Camelot at the Playhouse, and Mother Courage and Her Children at the Karamu. We had season seats for the Lakewood Shakespeare Festival for the four summers that I was in high school.

I used the Shakespeare Festival for dates. Any parent would approve. So, I saw the same play several times, and actors change roles. Understudies take the lead. People play different parts. The play's the thing.

At Karamu, for Mother Courage, some of the actors were white and others were black. It was a performance for high schoolers so there was a lecture from the stage manager, like in Wilder's Our Town, but actually didactic. It does not matter that there were no black people in Germany in the 30 Years War or that these actors are playing brothers. Is this play really about Vietnam or is it about all wars? That's for you to decide. Over on Galt's Gulch Online, most of the active posters seem to believe that the bad guys in Atlas Shrugged are all liberals and progressives. One of the top-rated contributors and a Featured Producer of the Week was shocked to hear Laura Regan (Dagny Taggart) describe it as a love story. One of the other producers quoted Ayn Rand for her.

You bring yourself to every work of art.

It is common trompe in theater to present Shakespeare in modern dress. Hamlet 2009 here. At the Lakewood Shakespeare Festival, I saw Julius Caesar. Baz Luhrman's 1996 Romeo and Juliet (Leonardo Dicaprio, and friends) did not come off so well. But it was the shouting of all the lines, not the Swordz-brand automatic weapons that ruined the attempt.

Atlas Shrugged is a book we all have read often enough to know it by heart. (Quick: find the place where Tony dies. What's his last line? ... OK: Who said, "They do, eventually.") Laurel and I have every remake of Pride and Prejudice. We both read the book, but I only read it once. We judge the productions differently. With modern technology, everyone here has the tools to make their own Atlas Shrugged with their own cast from 100 years of cinema.

Crispin Glover played George McFly. Zemeckis said Glover improvised much of George's nerdy mannerisms, such as his shaky hands. The director joked he was "endlessly throwing a net over Crispin because he was completely off about fifty percent of the time in his interpretation of the character".[6] Due to a contract disagreement, Glover was replaced by Jeffrey Weissman in Part IIand Part III.[23

According to Wells, in an interview with Yahoo.com online entertainment series "The Yo Show", she had been cast, but a pilot she had done for ABC had been picked up, and she was contractually forced to drop out of BTTF. During that time, Eric Stoltz had been shooting for five weeks with Melora Hardin in the role of Jennifer, but the producers halted filming and replaced Stoltz withMichael J. Fox. By then, Wells' pilot had been finished and she was recast as Jennifer, now shooting alongside Fox, never having filmed a frame with Stoltz. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_future

After her mother was diagnosed with cancer, Wells said family took precedence and told the studio she would not be available to reprise the role for the two sequels; actress Elisabeth Shue replaced her http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Wells

When Richard Harris died, they did not stop making Harry Potter movies.

Roseanne had two Beckies:

"Lecy Goranson only appeared in four episodes of the fifth season, and Sarah Chalke took over the role a third of the way through the sixth season until the end of the show, with both actresses sharing the role in Season 8. In total, Goranson played Becky for 111 episodes, and Chalke for 40, totalling 151 (both actresses appeared together in one episode, explaining why the total is 1 lower than the total of the two appearances listed above.)" -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseanne

But when they remade Columbo, they found his 1955 Peugeot and rebought it. Some things must not be changed.

...an artistic and financial disaster...

No hope of recouping production cost. Exhibitors take 25% off the top (or a "four-wall" fee), DVD distributors take 40-50%.

Atlas 1 Domestic Total Gross: $4,627,375 Production cost: $8 million* + $1 million upfront to Peikoff

Atlas 2 Domestic Total Gross: $3,336,053 Production cost: $10 million

Atlas 3 ? Production cost: $10 million

* reported as $4-8 million, higher figure probably

includes cast, crew, and facilities deferments

Does not include time value of money or opportunity cost. Box office "gross" has to be 3x production cost to break even.

Also, does not include future residuals...

I made a pact with myself way back in the '60's that, if, and when, a movie of Atlas was made that I would be in the first audience of the first viewing of Atlas on Ayn's island of Manhattan...

I met four wonderful folks, out of the 15 in the theatre that morning, including the pervert who tried to sit next to me, being a NYC boy, the conversation was rather short and physically silent and the pervert decided to re-seat itself.

No biggee, this was 11:30 in the AM at a Chelsea movie theatre in the Village, so I was not surprised.

Did not see #2 because I did not accept the wholesale replacement of the cast.

I am seriously considering seeing #3, however, the trailers want to make me puke.

We shall see...

A...

Ayn is rolling in her grave.

Well a key factor in seeing #3 is whom I am going to see it with lol

Show me what a "person" finds ...

Would really like to solidify that quote, with the Nathaniel proviso...

A...

I think a large part of the "heinousness" is due to the fact that "Romantic Realism" doesn't translate well to media other than literature (and a lot of people don't like it as literature), especially when it's twisted to fit the present rather than leaving it as an alternate reality from a different time.

If you're going to speak Rand's words as an actor, you're going to have to be willing to do some old school heroic posing and gesticulating without embarrassment. In today's context I think that that would come across more as Romantic Melodrama than Romantic Realism, but speaking the words without posing and gesticulating comes across either wooden, a clash of styles, or "heinous."

Then again, perhaps some of the shock of the clip's oddly wooden melodrama will be absorbed by the establishing of context and pace within the actual film. There were cringe-worthy moments in the previews of the first two films that were less heinous when seen within the entirety of the films.

J

Happy-Hyena-hyenas-31563531-385-358.jpg