RUSH - 2112

goblueram

Just felt like posting this jam from one of the best bands of all time. 2112 is the album, and the whole first side (in the clip) is one song made up of 7 parts. It's got a pretty neat story line, with obvious parallels to Rand's Anthem, as I'm sure most of you are aware. I am reading Anthem now and have found myself stopping to listen to the song as I read along (I knew the song before I knew the book).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEgZNqa8jE

goblueram:

You are going to find this place an arid desert when it comes to Rush appreciation.

I have tried to rally the troops before on this issue, all to no avail.

Anybody who doesn't appreciate Rush-2112 should be made to read Das Kapital from first to last, thus becoming the only person(s) on Earth who have read Das Kapital from first to last.

I would make this rant longer but must first take an unauthorized spin in my new Red Barchetta.

Their road shows were better than their music. A lot of what they did was pretty good and interesting, but they ran out of gas a long time ago or were pushed aside like so many others by the likes of Hip-Hop. If I hear one of their hits every few years, that's enough. I can stand more but have no craving for it.

--Brant

I love Rush and everything from their Progressive era is top notch. The 80's is pretty good too outside of Signals (which is great), Grace Under Pressure (excellent), and certainly Moving Pictures which I'd easily put on a list of Top 25 albums of all time.

The fact this band is not in the so called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (along with Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, and Kiss) is why that institution fails at life.

• 4 months later...

My understanding is that by this point, they are indeed included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. About time if you ask me. Goddamn whim-worshipping music critics cast them to the wastelands for far too long. Godspeed, Rush. Godspeed.

Ninth Doctor has expressed a reserved appreciation for 2112, most probably due to that album's lack of modern mastering and overuse of compression. Very natural sound. At the time, I never understood his preference for 70's Rush as against modern Rush, but now I do. Later 90's Rush was a victim of the Loudness Wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

As my audiophile antennae have grown, I better understand Ninth Doctor's surprise upon hearing the second best Rush album of all time: "Power Windows" on his unsurpassed stereo rig.

How can anyone here not bow down and weep with joy to the overwhelmming dynamics of 1986's "Mystic Rhythms"? (Shout out to J. Neil Schulman):

• 1 month later...

GODAMMIT. I understand most people here not liking Geddy's voice, but I will not abide Ninth Doctor's elitist dismissal of the Rush ouvre. Rush has done more to spread Objectivism than Harry Binswanger ever did.

Ninth Doctor (and others), please take a moment to meditate on these young men in 1977 who were innocently trying to make sense of Objectivism (you bastards):

I will not abide Ninth Doctor's elitist dismissal

Hey, leave me out of this! You're not going to find past instances of me knocking Rush in a public forum. Privately you've heard me express my 'take it or leave it' attitude towards all rock music, but I'm certainly no Lindsay Perigo grade snob.

Now how about some headbanging music!

Rush has done more to spread Objectivism than Harry Binswanger ever did.

Anyone has done more to spread Objectivism than Binswanger. He's a drain on Objectivism. A negative. He's done more than anyone to drive people away from Objectivism.

Anyway, back to this thread's main topic. I think that we should posse up, hunt down Ninth, and give him a beat down for dissing Rush.

J

Anyone has done more to spread Objectivism than Binswanger. He's a drain on Objectivism. A negative. He's done more than anyone to drive people away from Objectivism.

Anyway, back to this thread's main topic. I think that we should posse up, hunt down Ninth, and give him a beat down for dissing Rush.

J

Not without a warrant and indictment...or, I will have Rand Paul join OL and filibuster your ass...lol!

J

Not without a warrant and indictment...or, I will have Rand Paul join OL and filibuster your ass...lol!

I was assuming that Rand Paul would join our Rush posse.

J

Now J., you know how scary assumptions can be about another thinkers actions...

J

Now J., you know how scary assumptions can be about another thinkers actions...

Technically that's a good minor point, but it really doesn't matter one way or the other. The important thing is that we're the Rush Posse, and we don't need no stinking badges. We issue our own warrants and indictments.

The same is true of the KISS Army. So don't be trashing on KISS either. Well, other than Gene Simmons' rendition of When You Wish Upon a Star. That's just fucking stupid.

J

Lol...this is why I love your comments J...

I will still hold out for Constitutional process...

A...

J

Fear not my friend. I have it on good authority that I shall be visiting ND in the near future, and I know his weaknesses. His "thermal exhaust port", if you will. Perhaps I shall start by sureptitiously scratching his coveted classical recordings while he is taking a whiz. Or hell, just smashing them outright. Those classical "composers" are just dead white males, right?

Stop living in the past, ND. Did Bach ever appreciate the sounds of an analog synthesizer like the mini-moog? Could Mozart ever dream of the creamy distortion produced by dual rectifier amplifiers? I THINK NOT.

More seriously however -- am I the only one who has noticed how Neil Peart closely resembles the physiognomy of Rand's "Ideal Man"? You know what I mean - the sort typified by Gary Cooper and Frank O'Connor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu9Ycq64Gy4

More seriously however -- am I the only one who has noticed how Neil Peart closely resembles the physiognomy of Rand's "Ideal Man"? You know what I mean - the sort typified by Gary Cooper and Frank O'Connor?

Well, I for one have never noticed it before, but, yeah, you're right, Peart definitely has the Randian hero look.

J

I was just doing some Google image searches for pictures of some of my favorite rockers, and I just realized for the first time that when David Gilmour was young, he was Leonardo Di Caprio, and Roger Waters is becoming Richard Gere.

J

I was just doing some Google image searches for pictures of some of my favorite rockers, and I just realized for the first time that when David Gilmour was young, he was Leonardo Di Caprio, and Roger Waters is becoming Richard Gere.

J

lol. you're absolutely right!

BTW...GO LEAFS!!!

I don't know the first thing about hockey.

(hi duance)

Ninth Doctor:

Wow. I just finished reading that Perigo essay you linked to. Holy shit. And I thought YOU were a snob. I beg your forgiveness.

I am at a loss for words. I mean...there is a lot of really good stuff in that essay but also a lot of naivete and puff and blow. Good lord...I'm tempted to go over there and troll his ass. Wow...it was you who taught me to appreciate "difficult" music...to learn how to be "uncomfortable" and rise above the all too human desire to sink into comfortable harmony. To really SIT and PAY ATTENTION. It is not masochism to listen to another's plaintive wail. It is simple open mindedness...which doesn't necessarily imply acceptance or sanction. It means being open to the other's unique experience...

Godamn. I'm not sure what to say. For the moment, I'm reminded of that Dire Straits song:"That little faggot with the earring and the mink coat....yeah, buddy, that's his own hair..."

3694324991_3702798130.jpg

Who is that?

An artist's rendition of Serapis Bey...

Ninth Doctor:

Wow. I just finished reading that Perigo essay you linked to. Holy shit. And I thought YOU were a snob. I beg your forgiveness.

I am at a loss for words. I mean...there is a lot of really good stuff in that essay but also a lot of naivete and puff and blow. Good lord...I'm tempted to go over there and troll his ass. Wow...it was you who taught me to appreciate "difficult" music...to learn how to be "uncomfortable" and rise above the all too human desire to sink into comfortable harmony. To really SIT and PAY ATTENTION. It is not masochism to listen to another's plaintive wail. It is simple open mindedness...which doesn't necessarily imply acceptance or sanction. It means being open to the other's unique experience...

Godamn. I'm not sure what to say. For the moment, I'm reminded of that Dire Straits song:"That little faggot with the earring and the mink coat....yeah, buddy, that's his own hair..."

I remember so vividly the first time I really listened to music (Moazart as it happened) instead of just hearing it. The power and the glory of it, the wonderful new pleasure. Like all first loves, it continues to inform and enrich my life.

Don't worry about the hockey. For most of the past four decades the Leafs have not known the first thing about it either.

I know his weaknesses. His "thermal exhaust port", if you will.

Yeah yeah, it's right below the main port, every Death Star has one. Now many Bothans will have to die. How about a Dr. Who reference next time?

Good lord...I'm tempted to go over there and troll his ass.

Many of us upright citizens of Rand-land have felt the same, just go through the archives over there, whenever you're feeling masochistic. There's a lot of humor to be found, once you develop a taste for it.

Wow...it was you who taught me to appreciate "difficult" music...to learn how to be "uncomfortable" and rise above the all too human desire to sink into comfortable harmony.

Not to knock them, but I don't regard Rachmaninov and Puccini as 'difficult', though this is speaking relatively. Compared to Three Blind Mice they're off the charts. Oh wait.

Can't stand that piece.

But anyway, on SLOP anyone who comes out for a composer from the next level of difficulty, say Sibelius or Mahler, gets a line of Perigonian bullshit (e.g. "Sibelius is for dyslexic empiricists") . This is not a serious thinker were talking about.

Getting back to Rush, you acknowledged that Geddy's whiny wailing vocal timbre is an impediment to their goal of world domination, and all I can say is it's too bad Cathy Berberian isn't still around to provide some alternate interpretations of their hits: