Favorite Love story/movie?

RagJohn

Brief Encounter (1945), a film about an unconsummated love affair, is a true classic.

David Lean directs Trevor Howard in Noel Coward's story set to Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto

It consistently ranks at or near the top all time film among British fans. (http://www.bfi.org.u...fi100/1-10.html)

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....Brief_Encounter (ignore the "class consciousness" analysis tripe)

Netflix: http://movies.netfli...5?trkid=2361637 (by mail and streaming video)

A doctor and a housewife meet in a train station and proceed not to have a love affair. You'd think, "how boring." But it is a taut, suspenseful, and joyous drama.

60000295.jpg

IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037558/

Edited by Ted Keer

Casablanca.

That scene where Viktor Lazlo tells the band to play the French National Anthem still gives me goosebumps.

Also the end, when Rick and Capt. Renault walk off into the fog

Louie, I think this the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Queen Christina in the movies, Private Lives on the stage.

I never thought that the affair in Brief Encounter was unconsummated. You might get this impression from the movie, but not from the play (Still Life in Tonight at Eight-Thirty).

Queen Christina in the movies, Private Lives on the stage.

I never thought that the affair in Brief Encounter was unconsummated. You might get this impression from the movie, but not from the play (Still Life in Tonight at Eight-Thirty).

I have seen Brief Encounter three times in the last two years. They make it quite clear they do not consummate the affair.

Another just occurred to me. THIS TIME NEXT YEAR. Alan Alda has a once a year, weekend affair with a married woman, for many years. I forget if he's married too, or not. Very poignant, tho.

Saw that as a teen when it aired on network TV, remember liking it.

Same Time, Next Year (film)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia<table class="infobox vevent" cellspacing="5" style="font-size: 11px; color: black; background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249); border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); border-right-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); border-bottom-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); border-left-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); margin-top: 0.5em; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; margin-left: 1em; padding-top: 0.2em; padding-right: 0.2em; padding-bottom: 0.2em; padding-left: 0.2em; float: right; clear: right; width: 22em; text-align: left; line-height: 1.5em; "><tbody><tr><th colspan="2" class="summary" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-weight: bold; font-size: 13px; font-style: italic; ">Same Time, Next Year</th></tr><tr class=""><td colspan="2" class="" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; ">220px-SameTimeNextYearPoster.jpg

Original poster</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Directed by</th><td class="description" style="vertical-align: top; ">Robert Mulligan</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Produced by</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">Walter Mirisch</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Written by</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">Bernard Slade</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Starring</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">Ellen Burstyn

Alan Alda</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Music by</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">Marvin Hamlisch</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Cinematography</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">Robert Surtees</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Editing by</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">Sheldon Kahn</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Distributed by</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">Universal Pictures</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Release date(s)</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">November 22, 1978</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Running time</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">119 minutes</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Country</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">United States</td></tr><tr class=""><th scope="row" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left; white-space: nowrap; ">Language</th><td class="" style="vertical-align: top; ">English</td></tr></tbody></table>Same Time, Next Year is a 1978 American comedy film directed by Robert Mulligan. The screenplay by Bernard Slade is based on his 1975 play of the same title.

<table id="toc" class="toc" style="font-size: 12px; color: black; background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249); border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); border-right-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); border-bottom-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); border-left-color: rgb(170, 170, 170); padding-top: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; margin-top: 0.5em; "><tbody><tr><td>

Contents

[hide]

</td></tr></tbody></table>

[edit]Plot synopsis

The film opens in 1951 at an inn located on the Northern California coast. Doris (Ellen Burstyn) is a 24-year-old housewife from Oakland, George (Alan Alda) a 27-year-old accountant fromNew Jersey. They meet at dinner, have an affair, and then agree to meet once a year to rekindle the sparks they experience at their first meeting, despite the fact both are happily married with six children between them.

Over the course of the next two dozen years, they develop an emotional intimacy deeper than what one would expect to find between two people meeting for a clandestine relationship just once a year. During the time they spend with each other, they discuss the births, deaths, including George's son Michael dying in Vietnam, which changes George politically, and marital problems each experiences at home, while they adapt themselves to the social changes affecting their lives.

Head and shoulders my favorite: The Year of Living Dangerously. Mel Gibson, Sogourney Weaver, and Linda Hunt playing a male dwarf. Great soundtrack. Nice development and scenery.

Had always meant to see this since I saw Siskel and Ebert rave about it. Netflix has it for streaming and I have added it to my queue.

Head and shoulders my favorite: The Year of Living Dangerously. Mel Gibson, Sogourney Weaver, and Linda Hunt playing a male dwarf. Great soundtrack. Nice development and scenery.

Had always meant to see this since I saw Siskel and Ebert rave about it. Netflix has it for streaming and I have added it to my queue.

Definitely worth seeing. Linda Hunt was superb as Billy Kwon.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Definitely worth seeing. Linda Hunt was superb as Billy Kwon.

Ba'al Chatzaf

When I die and see God, my first choice will be Tom Baker:

baker_01_420x284.jpg

But Linda Hunt:

linda-hunt-3-sized.jpg

is my second choice.

When I die and see God, my first choice will be Tom Baker:

baker_01_420x284.jpg

But Linda Hunt:

linda-hunt-3-sized.jpg

is my second choice.

After Tom Baker's reign as Time Lord was up, I lost interest in Dr. Who.

Ba'al Chatzaf

After Tom Baker's reign as Time Lord was up, I lost interest in Dr. Who.

Tut-tut, Eccleston was great. And if you've never seen Rowan Atkinson's one time performance...you just don't know about fear and feces!

Awesome! I'll have to look up Rowan Atkinson's episode. I never caught Dr. Who fever (probably should). But I dare say that Rowan as Mr. Bean always has me in stitches... especially the holiday episode where he won the turkey for guessing the exact weight.

~ Shane

Awesome! I'll have to look up Rowan Atkinson's episode.

YouTube is, I think, the only way you can see it.

It's good, but you won't be blown away. Note that it is a love story of sorts, so it's in keeping with the theme of the thread, more or less.

Richard E Grant (shown below flirting with the 10th Doctor) is infinitely better suited to portray the Doctor than Rowan Atkinson. Next you'll be touting Stephen Frye.

Oh puhleeze, compare this, particularly to the 8th Doctor:

Naturally he's long in the tooth for it now, but this scene from V for Vendetta had me going for half a minute:

Anyway, the Rowan Atkinson episode was a spoof, though if he wanted (when he was younger) he'd easily have been the best ever. But it would have been a waste of his talent.

I liked the cooking spoof.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:360879" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s14e14-creme-fraiche">Creme Fraiche</a></b><br/>Tags: <a style="display: block; position: relative; top: -1.33em; float: right; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc00; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/">SOUTH<br/>PARK</a><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/characters/randy-marsh">Randy Marsh</a>,<a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/characters/sharon-marsh">Sharon Marsh</a>,<a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s14e14-creme-fraiche">more...</a></p></div></div>