Neutrinos

dennislmay

Dennis:

Good grief!

I remember a cartoon, possibly in the New Yorker, from the late 1950's or early 1960's with five (5) scientists in lab coats and clipboards, huddled in a tight circle in front of one of the original wall to wall IBM mainframe computers, gesticulating and question marks over their heads...to the right of the frame near the door is a janitor with push broom and dust pan pointing to the plug which is laying on the floor under the outlet.

My how we have progressed!

Adam

Dennis:

Good grief!

I remember a cartoon, possibly in the New Yorker, from the late 1950's or early 1960's with five (5) scientists in lab coats and clipboards, huddled in a tight circle in front of one of the original wall to wall IBM mainframe computers, gesticulating and question marks over their heads...to the right of the frame near the door is a janitor with push broom and dust pan pointing to the plug which is laying on the floor under the outlet.

My how we have progressed!

Adam

On South Park it took a kid to unplug and plug back in the Internet to reset it.

Dennis

I recall a similar story from the 80s. Two physicists at BYU announced that they had found a process for cold fusion, which applied physics had sought for decades, using high-school quality lab equipment. Their readings turned out the be the result of their having put their equipment too close to a heating outlet.

Peter Reidy wrote:

Their readings turned out to be the result of their having put their equipment too close to a heating outlet.

end quote

Yesterday’s Dilbert comic strip shows Dilbert in front of a piece of scientific equipment. He says, “Gasp! I’ve found the Higgs Boson!”

In the second panel, the scientific equipment bellows out, like the voice of God, “Build An Ark!”

In the third and final panel, Dilbert is seen turning the equipment off and thinking to himself, “Nothing but trouble.”

Peter Taylor

Peter Reidy wrote:

Their readings turned out to be the result of their having put their equipment too close to a heating outlet.

end quote

Yesterday’s Dilbert comic strip shows Dilbert in front of a piece of scientific equipment. He says, “Gasp! I’ve found the Higgs Boson!”

In the second panel, the scientific equipment bellows out, like the voice of God, “Build An Ark!”

In the third and final panel, Dilbert is seen turning the equipment off and thinking to himself, “Nothing but trouble.”

Peter Taylor

Here is the joke: the Higgs Boson has been referred to as "The God Particle" in the idiot press

Ba'al Chatzaf

Some years ago some patients on a hospital ward in Africa on a respirator kept dying. No one knew why. A video revealed a cleaning woman coming in and unplugging the machine to plug in her vacuum. After she was done she conscientiously plugged the respirator back in.

--Brant

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=features

If this is really the answer - it is sickening.

Dennis

If the machinery of the experiment is really complicated and messy, such a defect is not all the surprising. Now you know why experiments have to be confirmed independently. If this is the cause of the their result, then the seeming contradiction with special relativity has been explained. Science works

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

If the machinery of the experiment is really complicated and messy, such a defect is not all the surprising. Now you know why experiments have to be confirmed independently. If this is the cause of the their result, then the seeming contradiction with special relativity has been explained. Science works

Ba'al Chatzaf

Science may work but tenure and the public funding of education and science are called into question. It is not really any different than lots of other science mistakes funded by government except the scale of press it has received.

Dennis

Science may work but tenure and the public funding of education and science are called into question. It is not really any different than lots of other science mistakes funded by government except the scale of press it has received.

Dennis

Tell me sir, do capitalists occasionally have technilogical fuck ups. Do free market produced machines occasionally have glitches and defects? You bet they do.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

Tell me sir, do capitalists occasionally have technilogical fuck ups. Do free market produced machines occasionally have glitches and defects? You bet they do.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I'm not forced at gunpoint to pay for free market fuck ups. Can't say the same about government fuckups.

Dennis

Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

that is a totally separate issue from the general quality of the work done at and by CERN.

WIthout gov't funding there would be no Large Hadron Collider and Berner's Lee would not have had the funding to create the machinery of the world wide web. In fact, without gov't funding there would be no internet on which we could exchange messages.

Not that I approve of gov't funding mind you. I don't. But the government spent money it stole from the tax payers and we may as well get some use out of it. It is the only compensation we are going to get

Ba'al Chatzaf

Here are the details of how the OPERA results were faulty.

http://www.livescience.com/18603-error-faster-light-neutrinos.html

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

that is a totally separate issue from the general quality of the work done at and by CERN.

WIthout gov't funding there would be no Large Hadron Collider and Berner's Lee would not have had the funding to create the machinery of the world wide web. In fact, without gov't funding there would be no internet on which we could exchange messages.

Not that I approve of gov't funding mind you. I don't. But the government spent money it stole from the tax payers and we may as well get some use out of it. It is the only compensation we are going to get

Ba'al Chatzaf

The Internet evolved out of the Arpanet which was developed in part to transfer files between government labs and universities doing government research. Back in the day we used the Kermit file transfer protocol by dial up modem and it took forever but it worked. The government funding was largely a military need. Expansion beyond the military need should have been done by private means. In Omaha there was a private Intranet on the cable provider long before I ever used the Arpanet. It was being done privately long before the Internet took off. Military funding is actually constitutional - most of the money I have taken from me at gunpoint is not constitutional but used to buy votes. If I thought there was a military need for the Large Hadron Collider I would be fine with government funding - I don't believe there is any such need so it should be privately funded or not done at all. Every dime of money robbed for the collider prevents private investment in other research. I believe that funding would be much better spent elsewhere in private hands.

Dennis

Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

The Internet evolved out of the Arpanet which was developed in part to transfer files between government labs and universities doing government research. Back in the day we used the Kermit file transfer protocol by dial up modem and it took forever but it worked. The government funding was largely a military need. Expansion beyond the military need should have been done by private means. In Omaha there was a private Intranet on the cable provider long before I ever used the Arpanet. It was being done privately long before the Internet took off. Military funding is actually constitutional - most of the money I have taken from me at gunpoint is not constitutional but used to buy votes. If I thought there was a military need for the Large Hadron Collider I would be fine with government funding - I don't believe there is any such need so it should be privately funded or not done at all. Every dime of money robbed for the collider prevents private investment in other research. I believe that funding would be much better spent elsewhere in private hands.

Dennis

Every penny for Arpanet was taken from taxpayers by force or threat of force.

If science purely privately funded I thing we should see very little basic research and a lot of research with commercial profit potential.

I think we should start a new thread dealing with this issue.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dennis

Every penny for Arpanet was taken from taxpayers by force or threat of force.

If science purely privately funded I thing we should see very little basic research and a lot of research with commercial profit potential.

I think we should start a new thread dealing with this issue.

Ba'al Chatzaf

As I said the Arpanet was a military item. Whether by government or privately funded security something like the Arpanet would have been needed. A new thread is a good idea.

Dennis