Glenn Beck in Part 3 of Atlas Shrugged?

Yup.

Ron Paul, Sean Hannity, Andrew Wilkow, Grover Norquist and Jonathan Hoenig, too.

Read it and weep.

:smile:

Ron Paul, Glenn Beck to appear in next ‘Atlas Shrugged’ movie
By Jessica Chasmar
The Washington Times
June 19, 2014

From the article:

Ron Paul, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are among the conservative personalities who will appear in the third installment of the “Atlas Shrugged” movie series. Radio talk-show host Andrew Wilkow, Americans for Tax Reform founder Grover Norquist, and Jonathan Hoenig, a hedge fund manager who regularly appear on Fox News, will also be featured in the film, The Hollywood Reporter said.

. . .

” ‘Atlas Shrugged’ is a fantastic book, but it’s much more than a story — it’s a philosophy,” Mr. Paul, a former Texas congressman and presidential candidate, told THR. “It’s influenced millions of people already and because of its greatness, it’s going to continue to influence a lot of people.”

“I love ‘Atlas Shrugged — Fountainhead.’ I love more — but who could say no?” Mr. Beck said.

Michael

Yup.

Ron Paul, Sean Hannity, Andrew Wilkow, Grover Norquist and Jonathan Hoenig, too.

Read it and weep.

:smile:

Ron Paul, Glenn Beck to appear in next ‘Atlas Shrugged’ movie

By Jessica Chasmar

The Washington Times

June 19, 2014

From the article:

Ron Paul, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are among the conservative personalities who will appear in the third installment of the “Atlas Shrugged” movie series. Radio talk-show host Andrew Wilkow, Americans for Tax Reform founder Grover Norquist, and Jonathan Hoenig, a hedge fund manager who regularly appear on Fox News, will also be featured in the film, The Hollywood Reporter said.

. . .

” ‘Atlas Shrugged’ is a fantastic book, but it’s much more than a story — it’s a philosophy,” Mr. Paul, a former Texas congressman and presidential candidate, told THR. “It’s influenced millions of people already and because of its greatness, it’s going to continue to influence a lot of people.”

“I love ‘Atlas Shrugged — Fountainhead.’ I love more — but who could say no?” Mr. Beck said.

Michael

I will make a small bet with you that part three is also a dud.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

Define dud.

The fact that it will inspire folks to read her works makes it a unqualified success.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Define dud.

The fact that it will inspire folks to read her works makes it a unqualified success.

+1

Wish The Fountainhead was redone for the big screen.

-Joe

Ba'al Chatzaf

Define dud.

+1

Wish The Fountainhead was redone for the big screen.

-Joe

I do not. While the 1949 Fountainhead movie may have its flaws, it is intelligently directed and features a bold, stylized approach in costumes, production design and cinematography. It is not the world as it is; it is the world as it might be.

Chances are that a 21st century movie version of the book would be as bad as the Atlas Shrugged movies.

Do we know for a fact that the movies are inspiring people to read the book? The Fountainhead put the book back on the best-seller list. Do we have any such data for Atlas Shrugged?

The inclusion of celebrity non-actors is a bad idea dramatically, distracting viewers from the story. It looks to me like the moviemakers' concession that it's going to flop and they might as well have fun making it.

Define dud.

Dud = the movie will omit many of the essential feature of the novel.

The novel is way too big to be done in a motion picture of reasonable running time.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Define dud.

Dud = the movie will omit many of the essential feature of the novel.

The novel is way too big to be done in a motion picture of reasonable running time.

Ba'al Chatzaf

However, it will include many of the essential elements of her philosophy.

A...

The plural of anecdote is not data. Until we get data, allow me to point to the "Galt's Gulch Online" discussion board of the movie producers.

http://www.galtsgulchonline.com/new

It has very many conservatives and very few Objectivists (of any stripe). They came to the movies. They read the book. However, as adults, they are not caught up in the philosophy. They have mature beliefs of their own - specifically religion and nationalism - that are not to be changed this late in life.

Moreover, generally, they have little interest in metaphysics and epistemology, seeing no point in abstract philosophy.

That being as it is, the site is not devoid of Objectivists.

As for whether and to what extent new (young) people come to Objectivism in particular and Rand's fiction in general, I believe that the novels will continue to be the medium of choice for intelligent (young) people. They will see the movies, of course, but not stop there.

I have a bad feeling about this. I smell a stinker on the way.

Of course, I was 100% wrong about my predicted great success for AS-1, so I would love to be wronng about this, too.

Sean Hannity no more belongs in an Atlas Shrugged movie than Lady, my miniature dachshund. I think Ayn Rand would be highly annoyed by that "naturalist" move.

Of course, I was 100% wrong about my predicted great success for AS-1, so I would love to be wronng about this, too.

Sean Hannity no more belongs in an Atlas Shrugged movie than Lady, my miniature dachshund. I think Ayn Rand would be highly annoyed by that "naturalist" move.

I'll take a wait and see approach.

Hannity has, however, publicized the previous 2 parts of the film on hi T.V. show...which is a good thing.

Hannity has, however, publicized the previous 2 parts of the film on hi T.V. show...which is a good thing.

This is true.

But the guy is still a dope.

This is true.

But the guy is still a dope.

His religious obsession is most annoying for me.

I never had the slightest interest in seeing these movies. As a movie the novel needs a radical approach structurally and stylistically. The deeper much more intractible problem than its length is its give-upism theme with only the villians having much fun. Project X was a blast!

Atlas Shrugged is full of Russian-like sensiibilities the author couldn't quite shake. As soon as the bad boys pass another law or directive, everybody all bows down. Galt encouraged that; his was the biggest bow-down of them all. This was Rand's utopianism which demanded perfection in a society and in a human being, not accepting the biological necessity of imperfections from volitional consciousnesses. The ironic world the heroes were going back to at the end was still the bad guy world and Mr. Thompson replaced by Attila the Hun. Good luck with that guy!

--Brant

Re Hannity, when I came back to the USA and first saw a show or two of his (I never watched him on cable in Brazil for some reason or other), I got irritated. He was doing a show with Alan Colmes. Then he got his own show and my irritation got worse. His leading questions and obvious bias in everything grated on my nerves.

Then I started studying persuasion and started seeing things in his approach that I did not see before. Here's what I see now. If we look at him from a strictly rational viewpoint, he is irritating. But if we look at him as a meme warrior who grabs hold of a progressive meme and chews it to death like a dog with a bone, he's a hoot.

Now I like him, but only in small doses. Meme battles are fun, but their charm is like taffy. After a while the sweetness and stickiness become too much. You need a break.

Re putting Hannity and the others in the movie, I'm not opposed, but this is like product placement for helping to sell the movie. That's how I see it and from that angle, their participation loses connection with the story to me. The producers of the movie want to make money and that's about all. Within the context of the way this first series has turned out, I'm OK with that.

And I do NOT think this third part will be a dud. I'm looking forward to it. Very much.

Later they will do a remake of everything (that's just Hollywood), but I have no regrets that they finally got the movie finished.

If we want a better version, let's go out and make a shit load of money, make a deal with Aglialoro or whoever and get 'er done.

Michael

I never had the slightest interest in seeing these movies. As a movie the novel needs a radical approach structurally and stylistically.

"There will not be any three-hour radio speech that blasts religion, and [the] final cut will not permit America to collapse in chaos, with Dagny happily swooning on Galt's superhuman arm in Rich White Man's Valley. It just won't do -- unless he casts Will Smith to play John Galt, and the Gulch is a mixed neighborhood in Baltimore. Now, there's a high concept for cable. Smartaleck but cute black guy leads a strike of the men of the mind... In my opinion it is not possible to communicate one percent of Atlas Shrugged to a television audience today, unless it's set in the present (airlines, semiconductors, global finance)... But not Tagny's choo-choo, with Eddie Willers left stranded in the desert, refusing on principle to join a group of cheery survivalists in covered wagons. We don't do things on principle any more. We shop. And if we feel like calling for help to diagnose what's wrong with a diesel-electric locomotive, it's a speed-dial away, on the other end of a digital cell phone or a laptop." [Atlas Shrinked, November 15, 1999]

I never had the slightest interest in seeing these movies. As a movie the novel needs a radical approach structurally and stylistically.

. Smartaleck but cute black guy leads a strike of the men of the mind...

I nominate Geordie from Star Trek: The New Generation

Ba'al Chatzaf