OK - Enough Of This Foreign Sports Stuff - The World Series Starts Tonight! Make Yer Picks Mates!!!!

Selene

Boston in seven (7) based on my theory that ya roots for the team that beat you in your division!

However, the Cardinals have, I believe, the second most World Series rings - eleven (11) to my NY Yankees who have twenty-seven (27).

This will be the fourth (4th) [?] meeting of these historically great franchises.

A...

Nothin like baseball...

End of the first at Fenway...

My team 3 and the enemy 0

Almost like telegraphy...

Into the sixth [6th] ....

My team 5.

The enemy 0

Go RED Sox!!!!

Into the sixth [6th] ....

My team 5.

The enemy 0

Go RED Sox!!!!

Game 1 - Boston Wins - up 1-0 in best of 4 out of 7...

Game 2 - tonight 8:07 PM

Sorry, but I prefer the litterature Carol puts in her litter box to the litter you put in yours.

--Brant

baseball died when the Mets traded Lenny and the players went on strike and steroids powered home run derbys--the designated hitter only ruined one league

I know the theory, but ..it's just soooo hard to say 'go Boston'(ew ), how about Go American League, ok ? Somebody tackle those guys and shave em , they look ridiculous

Especially the Flyin Hawwaiin,

Tad:

You are talking to a NY Yankee psychotic...lol.

I like their team's persona. The manager is a remarkable man.

So, I feel your pain...Go SOX

Thanks for the props Brant, but in fact I grew up a Red Sox fan , is was compulsory in my neighbourhood and in those days games were played in the afternoon and you could watch them if you skipped school.Or listen on the radio, I forget which.

My moment of bitterness came when Tony Conigliaro was hit in the head and his eye was so injured. I have forgotten everything about it except that the pitch seemed to be deliberate.

Thanks for the props Brant, but in fact I grew up a Red Sox fan , is was compulsory in my neighbourhood and in those days games were played in the afternoon and you could watch them if you skipped school.Or listen on the radio, I forget which.

My moment of bitterness came when Tony Conigliaro was hit in the head and his eye was so injured. I have forgotten everything about it except that the pitch seemed to be deliberate.

There is a famous story about Roberto Clemente, probably the greatest all round right fielder in the history of the game.

Apparently, a friend of Roberto joined him in St. Louis for the Pirate St. Louis series. He entered Roberto's hotel room and watched him work in front of a full length mirror.

He would start to swing and drop the bat and dive and roll to his left ...over and over again...

Finally, his friend said..,"What the hell are you doing? Or, words to that effect."

Roberto turned with a twinkle in his eyes and said, "Gibson's pitching today."

In essence, he was pointing out that Gibson, one of the greatest pitchers ever in the game, was an angry, aggressive alchoholic with pinpoint control and he "owned his plate."

Roberto understanding the dynamics of competition knew that Gibson would try to kill him inside and he was practicing not getting killed.

Competition ain't too pretty when everything is on the line.

A...

And smart of Clemente. The trouble with head shots in hockey is they come from the dumbest and least skilled players, and there is no way to practice avoiding them. There is a way to eliminate them but that is not up to the players.

Well Boston won - 4 to 2

I had that "bet" also.

Their fourth World Series and 3rd in the last ten (10) years - impressive!

A...

Boston strongest! Grreat win, and the first home final in ninety five years for the Sox fans... give hope to all the patient Jobs of Jockdom.

Now back to the foreign sports... then Rangers/Canucks coach swap is working out better for Vancouver than NY, so much so that some are calling for Tortorella's return. DGB reports that the players however, are whimpering "Please, no, no...don't let the bad man come back and hurt us again..."

I really enjoyed this series. Plenty of drama and the unexpected.

Big Papi was big.

Cardinals are one of the legendary franchises in baseeball. Stan Musial, Dizzy and Daffy Dean, etc.

They unloaded Puholtz's [sp?] contract and in one (1) year got younger and better.

I wanted to root for the Cardinals, however, my objective analytical baseball mind and that home game/DH advantage would not allow that.

A...

Big Papi was big.

Cardinals are one of the legendary franchises in baseeball. Stan Musial, Dizzy and Daffy Dean, etc.

They unloaded Puholtz's [sp?] contract and in one (1) year got younger and better.

I wanted to root for the Cardinals, however, my objective analytical baseball mind and that home game/DH advantage would not allow that.

A...

Pulholz was unloaded to the team I have followed since moving from NYC to CA. in the late 1970's & up to the present since living in Vegas; the Angels.

Without injuries, he could have been a mini-Ortiz or better. The owners placed a bet & lost profoundly. Now their other loss, Hamilton, has been another major disappointment. But that's another story.

P.S. I loved the Yankees during the 1960's. Mantle, Maris, Berra, Martin, Moose, Boyer, Ford et. al.

The Dodgers & Giants, during that time, also had some incredible talent. It was baseball heaven.

-Joe

Big Papi was big.

A...

Pulholz was unloaded to the team I have followed since moving from NYC to CA. in the late 1970's & up to the present since living in Vegas; the Angels.

Without injuries, he could have been a mini-Ortiz or better. The owners placed a bet & lost profoundly. Now their other loss, Hamilton, has been another major disappointment. But that's another story.

P.S. I loved the Yankees during the 1960's. Mantle, Maris, Berra, Martin, Moose, Boyer, Ford et. al.

The Dodgers & Giants, during that time, also had some incredible talent. It was baseball heaven.

-Joe

A few years earlier, as Brooklyn was the first to re-locate, we had three of the most phenomenal centerfielders in baseball:

Mickey Mantle - he was a white guy;

Willie Mays - he was a black guy; and

Duke Snyder - he was another white guy.

Hmm, now that I realise it Joe, we will have to rename your Angels because of the separation of sports and religion and the state and any other anti-Christian politically correct bullshit they come up with next.

A...

-Joe

I watched the Mantle-Maris home run derby on black and white TV in 1961.

--Brant

54-61

-Joe

I watched the Mantle-Maris home run derby on black and white TV in 1961.

--Brant

54-61

Brant:

Then I hope you saw "61" which is a perfect movie about just that year.

Realistic and one of the great jokes told Roger to relax him when they were talking in the on deck circle about a woman's hand.

A...

Maris was never given the credit for being a great fielder. It was all Mantle talk, all the time.

Maris was never given the credit for being a great fielder. It was all Mantle talk, all the time.

Yep. Great right fielder. great arm and really smart. Basic family man, husband and father.

The NY Press created a lot of this "feud" because it sold lots and lots of papers.

The real tension, allegedly was between Joe D and Mickey.

I was disappointed to lose my very high order of respect for Joe because, as a fellow Italian, he got to play ball with Marilyn Monroe.

Now there's some M&M's.

220px-Marilyn1962.PNG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday,_Mr._President