Gun-rights group persuading dozens of towns to repeal firearms regs in legal blitz

Backlighting

Looks like some progress is being made.

I especially like “It’s pretty clever,” Florida State University College of Law Professor Franita Tolson told FoxNews.com. “If you can’t change it on a federal level, you attack it on a local level.”

Makes sense.

And just like Patton, you don't hold ground...you move forward.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/22/group-targeting-local-gun-laws-threatening-lawsuits/

Precisely.

This is what infuriated me when we were forming the Libertarian Party in NY City.

History

The Libertarian Party was founded in 1971[1] on the libertarian principle: that people should be free to do whatever they wish, except to initiate force, the threat of force, or fraud against others or their property. The principle does not preclude retaliatory force, as in the redress of wrongs through courts, and as in the traditional common law of self-defense. National Libertarian Party members, including the New York members, have paid $25 per year, and have as a condition of membership signified: "I certify that I do not believe in or advocate the initiation of force as a means of achieving political or social goals."

The Libertarian Party of New York was founded as an unregistered political party in 1970 by Paul and Michael Gilson who became its first people in public office the next year on election to a zoning board in Upstate New York. It helped drive the creation of a national party, and was re-organized in 1972 by a group now centered around Ed Clark, later the Libertarian Party presidential candidate. Its name was changed to the "Free Libertarian Party" when the New York Board of Elections ruled that the name Libertarian Party would confuse voters with the Liberal Party of New York. However, the Board of Elections eventually allowed the name "Libertarian Party" to be used. The Statue of Liberty is their ballot symbol, and they now appear on the ballot as the Libertarian Party.

Since 1974, the Libertarian Party of New York has had a candidate for Governor of New York on the ballot every four years except for 1986, the only party in New York State without official ballot status to do so. Several other minor parties in New York have achieved ballot status through electoral fusion, endorsing the candidate of a major party. The Libertarian Party of New York has so far declined to achieve ballot status by this means, although Republican William Weld flirted with the LPNY gubernatorial nomination in 2006.[2]

Ballot access

After it first received write-in votes in 1972 for presidential candidate John Hospers and vice presidential candidate Tonie Nathan (The first female candidate for Vice President to receive an electoral vote), the LPNY has obtained at least 15,000 petition signatures and placed statewide candidates on the ballot in every statewide election between 1974 and 2002, except 1986. These signatures were, by law, collected in a six-week period in mid-July to August (except in 1994, see Schulz v. Williams, 44 F.3d 48 (2d Cir. 1994)).

In the gubernatorial elections, Libertarian candidates included a full slate of the possible statewide candidates: Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Comptroller, and, when one is up for election: Senator. In the Presidential races, candidates included the full number of Electors for President and Vice President, and when one is up for election, Senator. This regular achievement of statewide ballot status by a full slate of candidates for 29 years indicates substantial support in New York State. Nationally, the Libertarian Party has 208,456 voters registered by the respective state boards of election. [3]

My plan, which we pitched in NY City, my turf, was to run candidates in every Community School Board race immediately.

It was inexpensive and because of an asinine weighted proportional vote, we could elect at least one member on 80% of the school boards in Queens and Staten Island, maybe 1 school board in Manhattan, 30% of the Bronx and 50% of Brooklyn.

This would have given us a sounding board and a presence throughout the entire city to build our field organization around.

However, the Party wanted to go National which was, frankly, a really poor decision by folks who knew nothing about winning elections.

A...

Precisely.

This is what infuriated me when we were forming the Libertarian Party in NY City.

History

The Libertarian Party was founded in 1971[1] on the libertarian principle: that people should be free to do whatever they wish, except to initiate force, the threat of force, or fraud against others or their property. The principle does not preclude retaliatory force, as in the redress of wrongs through courts, and as in the traditional common law of self-defense. National Libertarian Party members, including the New York members, have paid $25 per year, and have as a condition of membership signified: "I certify that I do not believe in or advocate the initiation of force as a means of achieving political or social goals."

The Libertarian Party of New York was founded as an unregistered political party in 1970 by Paul and Michael Gilson who became its first people in public office the next year on election to a zoning board in Upstate New York. It helped drive the creation of a national party, and was re-organized in 1972 by a group now centered around Ed Clark, later the Libertarian Party presidential candidate. Its name was changed to the "Free Libertarian Party" when the New York Board of Elections ruled that the name Libertarian Party would confuse voters with the Liberal Party of New York. However, the Board of Elections eventually allowed the name "Libertarian Party" to be used. The Statue of Liberty is their ballot symbol, and they now appear on the ballot as the Libertarian Party.

Since 1974, the Libertarian Party of New York has had a candidate for Governor of New York on the ballot every four years except for 1986, the only party in New York State without official ballot status to do so. Several other minor parties in New York have achieved ballot status through electoral fusion, endorsing the candidate of a major party. The Libertarian Party of New York has so far declined to achieve ballot status by this means, although Republican William Weld flirted with the LPNY gubernatorial nomination in 2006.[2]

Ballot access

After it first received write-in votes in 1972 for presidential candidate John Hospers and vice presidential candidate Tonie Nathan (The first female candidate for Vice President to receive an electoral vote), the LPNY has obtained at least 15,000 petition signatures and placed statewide candidates on the ballot in every statewide election between 1974 and 2002, except 1986. These signatures were, by law, collected in a six-week period in mid-July to August (except in 1994, see Schulz v. Williams, 44 F.3d 48 (2d Cir. 1994)).

In the gubernatorial elections, Libertarian candidates included a full slate of the possible statewide candidates: Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Comptroller, and, when one is up for election: Senator. In the Presidential races, candidates included the full number of Electors for President and Vice President, and when one is up for election, Senator. This regular achievement of statewide ballot status by a full slate of candidates for 29 years indicates substantial support in New York State. Nationally, the Libertarian Party has 208,456 voters registered by the respective state boards of election. [3]

My plan, which we pitched in NY City, my turf, was to run candidates in every Community School Board race immediately.

It was inexpensive and because of an asinine weighted proportional vote, we could elect at least one member on 80% of the school boards in Queens and Staten Island, maybe 1 school board in Manhattan, 30% of the Bronx and 50% of Brooklyn.

This would have given us a sounding board and a presence throughout the entire city to build our field organization around.

However, the Party wanted to go National which was, frankly, a really poor decision by folks who knew nothing about winning elections.

A...

That was certainly a good plan and an exciting time...even if it was frustrating.

I was still in NYC in '71 but unaware of the Libertarian Party.

Had I known about them I would have contributed any way I could.

That was certainly a good plan and an exciting time...even if it was frustrating.

You lived in Brooklyn, correct?

Correct & worked in Manhattan.

Correct & worked in Manhattan.

Yeah, Brooklyn is a difficult place if you do not understand how oppressively liberal Democratic it was and it is even worse today.

Bensonhurst?

brooklyn_neighborhoods.jpg

Close. Dyker Heights. We had a Democratic Headquarters there. As a kid I remember seeing JFK speaking to a large crowd in front of it. He wasn't President yet.

Also spent considerable time at the shore in Coney Island (15 ct. hot dogs, slices of pizza & bus/train rides) and in Bay Ridge nearby. Left in '77. Settled in Orange County, CA. until 2002. Time has flown by.

And you?

-J

Close. Dyker Heights. We had a Democratic Headquarters there. As a kid I remember seeing JFK speaking to a large crowd in front of it. He wasn't President yet.

Also spent considerable time at the shore in Coney Island (15 ct. hot dogs, slices of pizza & bus/train rides) and in Bay Ridge nearby. Left in '77. Settled in Orange County, CA. until 2002. Time has flown by.

And you?

-J

Orange County home of the John Birch Society whom I am not afraid of.

Fresh Meadows, 4 houses off the LIE Service Road, only when my parents moved there in 1951, there was no LIE.

It was our playground.

It is the 3rd highest point on Long Island.

Left there for Setauket, North Shore Gold Coast Long Island near Port Jefferson.

Now in Hillside, NJ - Phil Rizzuto's home town. It fact, the man who cuts my hair was Rizzuto's when he played for the Yankees.

A...

And you?

-J

Orange County home of the John Birch Society whom I am not afraid of.

Fresh Meadows, 4 houses off the LIE Service Road, only when my parents moved there in 1951, there was no LIE.

It was our playground.

It is the 3rd highest point on Long Island.

Left there for Setauket, North Shore Gold Coast Long Island near Port Jefferson.

Now in Hillside, NJ - Phil Rizzuto's home town. It fact, the man who cuts my hair was Rizzuto's when he played for the Yankees.

A...

Saw the Scooter many times at the ballpark. What an era back then. Late 50's thru mid 60's. Mantle, Maris, Yogi, Ford, Martin etc. for the Yanks...The Bums had Koufax, Snider, Reece, Hodges, Campy...Giants had Mays, Cepeda, etc. My father, who bled pinstripes, took us only to Ruth's house. I even saw Dimaggio (I was really young) at an Ol Timers game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Rizzuto