Davy Jones, RIP

That is, Davy Jones of The Monkees, not the one with the locker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okQe_lmM8OI

My brother and his wife were about to see him as the opening act for David Cassidy (of The Partridge Family). In giving them the obligatory ribbing, I found I could not only convincingly imitate the late Mr. Jones vocally, but that I actually knew the lyrics to their most popular songs. I think it dates back to 1980's exposure via MTV, where/when they had a revival.

Light hearted pop gaiety characteristic of the early Beatles. I think the really interesting rock stuff happened mostly in the 1960s starting with the Beatles who were greatly needed after the Kennedy assassination. I remember hearing them for the first time. It was if I couldn't get enough, nobody seemingly got enough. They had a real substance. Buddy Holly was just fluff--fluff with a beat.

--Brant

The Monkees were a decent group, but they got a lot of flak because the band was pieced together by a studio, specifically for the television show. I never understood the point of this common criticism. The only thing that counts, in the final analysis, is the music.

The Monkees always reminded me more of pop groups like Gerry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits, and the Dave Clark Five than they did the Beatles.

Ghs