Effective Parenting For The 21st Century - Not PC

I like almost all of what Mr. Jordon says. I take him at his word that the video is his "worst parenting day" ever. I thought what he did, exposing his daughters private thoughts, which she chose to share with some friends with no intention of him ever reading them, was an invasion of her privacy. I felt he was trying to practice mind control out of anger which no one has the right to do. Of course the daughters rant was a mistake which she no doubt would realize probably within days if not hours. He didn't give her a chance to see that and remove it on her own. I think that was wrong. It was only words, he should allow his daughter to speak her mind in private to her own friends. Also, "It's your kid.. so no matter what it's ALWAYS your fault.. get it?" Yes. That's called reality, and also why so many kids are homeschooled. Why does it take 10 years out of 12 years of schooling for him to realize his daughter is getting a crap education? That said, after reading what he wrote I really like the guy too. I think he thinks he could have handled the situation better. But then he wouldn't be famous would he?

Angela:

As usual, your systematic approach is solid and well articulated.

I will be making a more detailed response once I check on some aspects about this video.

However, let's assume that rather than destroy the laptop, he had:

1) calmly taken out her hard drive and put it in his pocket;

2) placed a new hard drive in the laptop; and

3) had someone from a local children's hospital, or school take the laptop as a charitable donation.

How would you have approached his messaging with that approach?

Adam,

I would have felt a bit better if he had donated the laptop (for aside from the act of shooting, it also pained me to see a perfectly working technical apparatus destroyed), but would still think that going public with it was a mistake. But then mistakes also offer us the opportunity to learn from them;

The father seems to show some insight when he said: "that was me at my worst, not my best"

He was also receptive to parenting tips the lady from social serivces gave him; This is a good sign. I have the feelng that the family might profit from counseling. Many counselors are quite good actually.

Angela:

As usual, your systematic approach is solid and well articulated.

I will be making a more detailed response once I check on some aspects about this video.

However, let's assume that rather than destroy the laptop, he had:

1) calmly taken out her hard drive and put it in his pocket;

2) placed a new hard drive in the laptop; and

3) had someone from a local children's hospital, or school take the laptop as a charitable donation.

How would you have approached his messaging with that approach?

Adam,

I would have felt a bit better if he had donated the laptop (for aside from the act of shooting, it also pained me to see a perfectly working technical apparatus destroyed), but would still think that going public with it was a mistake. But then mistakes also offer us the opportunity to learn from them;

The father seems to show some insight when he said: "that was me at my worst, not my best"

He was also receptive to parenting tips the lady from social serivces gave him; This is a good sign. I have the feelng that the family might profit from counseling. Many counselors arte are quite good actually.

Angela:

Agreed. I had a good feeling about the man. I did not find him particularly rigid despite his controlled anger in the video.

As to social services personnel here in the states, not so much.

I can only judge from the 2,000 to 3,000 social services workers that I have dealt with since the late 80's in the US and "many" would be a gross overstatement.

Here, it would be more accurate to say a few real gems in a pile of civil service rubble. Unfortunately, under ten (10%) in the US.

Glad we could come to an agreement.

Adam