What A Trade?

DallasCowboys

I was just curious on everyone's opinion with regard to the trade we made to get back the American Solider. I think it sounds like a trade the mets would do but that's just me.

Thanks,

David C.

As far as I know the all points bulletin put out on the missing soldier did not mentioned that he may have deserted his post. It is estimated that six soldiers died trying to get him back over the years. If he stands trial for dereliction or awol I will follow the text. Idealistic, caring people can make dumb mistakes even if they are Special Forces trained. Trading his life for several of the enemy is not a good precedent, but we can hopefully dispense with the enemy combatants when they leave Qatar. His friends and family are going to give him a parade in his hometown. He has served five years as a prisoner, so I foresee a court martial and a less than honorable discharge with no more jail time to be served. Then stories written about him and maybe a book or movie, staring Keano Reeves.

I was just curious on everyone's opinion with regard to the trade we made to get back the American Solider. I think it sounds like a trade the mets would do but that's just me.

Thanks,

David C.

This marxist President has created a new negotiating position for the US.

My perception is that it is too early to evaluate this "strategy."

However, at first blush, it is a disaster, outside the law and basically stupid, uninformed and weak.

A...

He certainly was no Jessica Lynch.

How could this administration think this would be a "good" thing? Are people who hold these positions really this stupid? Did they not vet his story before making such a show of this? Aren't they privy to the NSA's stuff? No one thought to poke around in his family's emails , or those of the other soldiers he was deployed with? Is it really just bad PR, it is almost incomprehensible that they took this action with a full understanding of the situation.

He certainly was no Jessica Lynch.

How could this administration think this would be a "good" thing? Are people who hold these positions really this stupid? Did they not vet his story before making such a show of this? Aren't they privy to the NSA's stuff? No one thought to poke around in his family's emails , or those of the other soldiers he was deployed with? Is it really just bad PR, it is almost incomprehensible that they took this action with a full understanding of the situation.

Agreed, having been the director of a politically critical office in NY City govt, when the West Side Highway collapsed, I can attest to immense pressures that exist to get the "story" out, I insisted that it be as accurate and limited as possible since the truck that collapsed the road was a a) overloaded; and b) owned by one of the top three (3) contracting firms in NY City,

However, that was not the case here. This was not an emergency. They had five fucking years of data on this dude. It made no sense to me politically,

Therefore, my fear is that noone is running the show up there.

A,,,

Not so fast...

Taranto made so solid points today:

Best of the Web Today: The Insanity Defense The idea isn't as crazy as it sounds. By JAMES TARANTO

National Security Adviser Susan Rice has taken considerable flak for saying on Sunday that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl served with "honor and distinction." In France today for the 70th anniversary of D-Day, Rice "defended her remarks," according to Mediaite.com's Noah Rothman.

One could as easily characterize her defense as a walking-back. "What I was referring to," Rice told CNN's Jim Acosta, "is the fact that this was a young man who volunteered to serve his country in uniform at a time of war. That in itself is a very honorable thing." If that's all "honor and distinction" means, it's the equivalent of a medal for participation.

Acosta pressed the point: "But 'honor and distinction'?" To which Rice replied: "Jim, really. This is a young man whose circumstances we are still going to learn about. He is, as all Americans, innocent until proven guilty/ He is now being tried in the court of public opinion after having gone through an enormously traumatic five years of captivity."

Here Rice has a point. Bergdahl hasn't been charged with a crime, and if he is, he has the right to mount a defense. While it's also true that everyone has a right to an opinion, circumspection is in order. Top government officials in particular should refrain from making prejudicial statements. That's why Rice's Sunday comment was problematic and why her qualification of it today, implausible as it may be, is welcome.

Inasmuch as Bergdahl is being tried in the court of public opinion, he has defenders as well as accusers. One of them is Vikram Singh, vice president for national security and international affairs at the Center for American Progress, a left-liberal think tank founded by John Podesta, now a White House aide.

WHat will an embattled animal, trapped and fighting for its political life, not do in order to prevail in an existential struggle?

Muddy the water with nonsense is the least of what such a trapped animal will do, fighting for its life.

In this case, political life. Legacy. Place in history books. Or in the best tradaition of ratcake Chicago politico realpolitik, checking off promises made to a radical base. Maybe if he lets the top five go, there will be less sturm and drang over soon emptying out the whole rat's nest.

Or, God help us, the realization that the end of the free pass inside the cookie jar will soon be over.

We do notice, don't we, that this absurdity totally knocked the VA scandal off the front pages?

Is there someone among us who thinks the explanation for the latest assault on rationality has to have any meaning beyond the political optics of the moment-- the need to take the Oxygen out of the fire of the outrage over the VA...on ad infinitum to all the other acts of daily incompetence carried out by this total poser?

Go back not far at all to the polite just sunk a four foot putt for par applause given to the POTUS -- the POTUS -- during his appearance at West Point recently.

Does anyone think there is any love lost between this POTUS and the US military establishement? We are once again being run by a regime that 'loathes' the military. The VA scandal and the in your face irrational trade doesn't need to be anything more than Mr. Chicago Politics saying 'f*** you' to the institution he loathes, the one that during every election the 'loathers' attempt to suppress the vote by mail vote from.

To make more out of this than that petty politics is a fool's errand.