Hugo Chavez is dead

BaalChatzaf

After receiving top notch cancer care in the People's Republic of Cuba, Hugo Chavez has died.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ba' al Chatzaf

After receiving top notch cancer care in the People's Republic of Cuba, Hugo Chavez has died.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ba' al Chatzaf

Oh no!

Shall we wring our collective hands?

Shall we weep out collective eyes?

Nah...IT'S PARTY TIME ...

party-smiley-040.gif

party-smiley-043.gif

party-smiley-044.gif

party-smiley-045.gif

party-smiley-047.gif

party-smiley-048.gif

And there's more celebrations...

To:
"Adam Selene" <jgalt44@yahoo.com>

orsonclapping.gif

laurelhardy.gif

Bu-bu-but, Venezuelans trying to get their money out of the country have been a major source of capital for companies I work for! Y'all are clapping and dancing and I've got some mixed feelings over here! This is how it would be if they actually did 'simplify' the tax code. Like when Bush repealed the Estate Tax, albeit only briefly. You know how long I had to spend learning that shit?

Nevertheless, when the news came across I sang out the beginning of this tune, and by the end a chorus (everyone in earshot) had joined in.

Will Venezuela recover... or spin out of control? Look at what happened in Yugoslavia when Tito died. Ayn Rand preferred a communist government to no government. She wasn't kidding. A power struggle must now play out. How that is realized may be hard on the people.

The dictator Hugo Chavez may be dead. But the idea of dictatorship, unfortunately, is still quite alive. The world needs to mercilessly kill off the idea that the Individual should somehow live, and be forced to live, for the sake of god, mankind, or the gov't. The sacred One is an untouchable and deity-like creature which should only live for his own pleasure, enjoyment, excitement, contentment, satisfaction, meaning, purpose, and happiness. So to hell with serving these extraneous and accursed god, mankind, and gov't things!

"All men are ruled by a flag or a game." How about you Kyril? Are you dedicated to freedom? Extreme egoism is undifferentiable from nihilism. Does an amoral middle exist? I mean, specifically, even if we here grant ourselves a special status of awareness beyond that of the benighted masses whom we see to save from themselves, is that not being ruled by some deity-like entity, a disembodied, non-corporeal idea apart from your own rational self-interest.

Harry Browne warned against that in How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World. He called it The Burning Issue Trap. (The Headline Trap was a corollary.) According to Browne (and others such as Skye & Natalee), a rational person is only interested in the freedom that they can get for themselves in their lifetime.

Moreover, Chavez was democratically elected, which speaks to the deeper problem of a the philosophical roots of a nation's culture. Politics is a consequence, nothing more (or less).

Extreme egoism is undifferentiable from nihilism. Does an amoral middle exist? I mean, specifically, even if we here grant ourselves a special status of awareness beyond that of the benighted masses whom we see to save from themselves, is that not being ruled by some deity-like entity, a disembodied, non-corporeal idea apart from your own rational self-interest.

Not sure what you mean, Michael. Isn't extreme egoism a strong dedication to individual happiness, while nihilism is a strong dedication to the destruction of others and the self? And I'm not sure how the pursuit of ideals or the good life for the individual means being ruled by a disembodied, non-corporeal idea.

Ayn Rand preferred a communist government to no government. She wasn't kidding.

MEM:

You have a source for that statement by Ayn?

A...

According to Browne (and others such as Skye & Natalee), a rational person is only interested in the freedom that they can get for themselves in their lifetime.

With an attitude like that I wonder if John Locke would have ever bothered putting pen to paper. Or Rand, come to think of it.

• 1 year later...

Will Venezuela recover... or spin out of control? Look at what happened in Yugoslavia when Tito died. Ayn Rand preferred a communist government to no government. She wasn't kidding. A power struggle must now play out. How that is realized may be hard on the people.

Yep...

Shoppers thronged grocery stores across Caracas today as deepening shortages led the government to put Venezuela’s food distribution under military protection.

And by the way, how do you "throng" a grocery store?

Interesting that this is being reported about the Capital of the Communist utopia Venezuela.

Long lines, some stretching for blocks, formed outside grocery stores in the South American country’s capital as residents search for scarce basic items such as detergent and chicken.

“I’ve visited six stores already today looking for detergent -- I can’t find it anywhere,” said Lisbeth Elsa, a 27-year-old janitor, waiting in line outside a supermarket in eastern Caracas. “We’re wearing our dirty clothes again because we can’t find it. At this point I’ll buy whatever I can find.”

Ah, its beginning to reek and smell like Communism.

A dearth of foreign currency exacerbated by collapsing oil prices has led to shortages of imports from toilet paper to car batteries, and helped push annual inflation to 64 percent in November. The lines will persist as long as price controls remain in place, Luis Vicente Leon, director of Caracas-based polling firm Datanalisis, said today in a telephone interview.

Unfortunately, the marxist in the White House will not support fracking, or, the Keystone pipeline. So we can't use that vehicle as an asset to our foreign policy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-09/venezuelans-throng-grocery-stores-on-military-protection-order.html

A...

2015-01-11T150807Z_321115138_GM1EB1B1S3R

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/venezuelan-shortages-long-queues-spark-violence-arrests-165203509--sector.html

At least a dozen protesters arrested in Venezuela remained in jail on Monday and masked assailants burned a bus amid scattered unrest over swelling lines for basic goods, activists said.

Police rounded up 16 people for protesting outside stores over the weekend, according to the opposition MUD coalition, which said four of them were released shortly after.

Rights group Penal Forum said 18 protesters were still behind bars on Monday. The government did not confirm that.

Venezuela is suffering from chronic shortages of goods ranging from diapers to flour that have worsened since an ebb in deliveries over Christmas. The scarcity has forced shoppers across Venezuela to line up in front of stores before dawn.

The MUD also accused soldiers posted outside shops of banning photos of the lines, which can snake around blocks.