Hazard is back after 2 long years (or so)

Hazard

Carol:

Not only prospective employees, but schools search the internet for any data that they can acquire before investing in an individual.

in terms of divorce, electronic discovery is an extremely fertile area and reasonably less costly than other forms of discovery.

In terms of disability, workers compensation cases, the internet is searched.

A recent 2006 case illustrated this problem:

Previous Case Involving the Threat of Social Networking Information

A survey by CareerBuilder.com found that one in four hiring managers used search engines to screen candidates. One in ten also

checked candidates' profiles on social networking sites such as MySpace or Facebook‛ (Lupsa). This is precisely what happened to an unsuspecting Louisiana State University student while interviewing for a job in 2006. He was a member of Facebook for over two years and maintained an ‚all-inclusive‛ online profile with pictures, quotes, and more. While interviewing for internship positions, he followed the advice of his mother as well as school advisors choosing to make his profile ‚private,‛ so only his friends could see his information; or so he thought. Surprisingly, this security measure was not enough to protect his information from discovery.

During the interview, something he was not prepared for happened. The interviewer began asking specific questions about the content on his Facebook.com listing and the situation became very awkward and uncomfortable. The student had thought that only those he allowed to access his profile would be able to do so. The interviewer explained that as a state agency, recruiters accessed his Facebook account under the auspices of the Patriot Act (LSUS Career Services).

Adam,

There was an interesting twist on this here recently.

Our firebreathing Conservative govt wants to breach internet privacy on the grounds that "only pedophiles have something to hide" (Vic Toews, Justice Minister). Whereupon someone published the public records of Vic Toews's divorce including details of his infidelities and love child.

Patriot Act indeed.

Everyone,

Thank you for the responses, I am absolutely slammed at the moment with work and school and I will make a well-thought out response just as soon as I can.

Also, My real name isn't tied to this account so I don't think there is any possibility that what I say here could get me disqualified for a job.

Anyway, in a few days when things slow down I will take some time to respond to you all,

Thanks,

Jordan

Guess what!

"If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.

Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.

In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall.

Previously, applicants were asked to surrender their user name and password, but a complaint from the ACLU stopped that practice last year. While submitting to a Facebook review is voluntary, virtually all applicants agree to it out of a desire to score well in the interview, according Maryland ACLU legislative director Melissa Coretz Goemann."

I haven't had time to write up my thoughts on mission, yet, but here's a TED talk I found eerily effective by a dude named Larry Smith. The talk is called "Why you will fail to have a great career."

The guy is funny, sort of. He is up-tight, sort-of. He is liberating, sort-of.

His oddness makes some of his points really sticky in your mind.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iKHTawgyKWQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great challenge at the end.

This is a "right question" talk, not a "right answer" one.

And we need that at times.

It's well worth watching.

Michael

Guess what!

"If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.

Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.

In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall.

Previously, applicants were asked to surrender their user name and password, but a complaint from the ACLU stopped that practice last year. While submitting to a Facebook review is voluntary, virtually all applicants agree to it out of a desire to score well in the interview, according Maryland ACLU legislative director Melissa Coretz Goemann."

This is a "hot" issue:

Why are some employers asking workers and would-be workers for their Facebook passwords?
Because, with U.S. unemployment hovering at 8.3%
, they
can
"Unfortunately, in these economic times employers may exercise latitude in asking for the unreasonable,"
career coach Sandra Lamb
said in an email. "But employees (and applicants) should be steadfast in asserting their rights to their personal life. If your FaceBook or other social media website password is requested (or required) that goes beyond a red flag--it's a deal breaker."

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/should_you_give_your_employer_your_facebook_passwo.php

****This is a government statistic and should be treated as a manipulated lie.

More on this rapidly spreading privacy problem:

In their efforts to vet applicants, some companies and government agencies are going beyond merely glancing at a person's social networking profiles and instead asking to log in as the user to have a look around.
"It's akin to requiring someone's house keys," said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former federal prosecutor who calls it "an egregious privacy violation."
Questions have been raised about the legality of the practice, which is also the focus of proposed legislation in Illinois and Maryland that would forbid public agencies from asking for access to social networks.
Since the rise of social networking, it has become common for managers to review publicly[sic] available Facebook profiles, Twitter accounts and other sites to learn more about job candidates. But many users, especially on Facebook, have their profiles set to private, making them available only to selected people or certain networks.
Companies that don't ask for passwords have taken other steps — such as asking applicants to friend human resource managers or to log in to a company computer during an interview. Once employed, some workers have been required to sign non-disparagement agreements that ban them from talking negatively about an employer on social media.
Asking for a candidate's password is more prevalent among public agencies, especially those seeking to fill law enforcement positions such as police officers or 911 dispatchers.

http://www.startribune.com/business/143455776.html

I'm not sure if the expression "living a stylized life" came from her, but I have seen this used in several places in O-Land. That's her art premise applied to life.

Michael,

The phrase "stylized life" shows up in Ayn Rand's diaries from 1967-1968, in which she complains about Nathaniel Branden's failure to live in such a way.

Whether it was Rand's idea or somebody else's, the phrase had been current for some time in her Inner Circle.

Fits right in with Anne Heller's title: Ayn Rand and the World She Made....

Robert Campbell

Proposed laws would ban public agencies from asking for Facebook profile passwords from would-be employees applying for jobs.

Lawmakers in Illinois and Maryland are considering whether the intrusive practice should be allowed during the job selection process.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1plPtSSwv

Ayn Rand said:

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?"

Worst. Advice. Ever.

First of all - hello Jordan. Glad to see you back. I look forward to your contributions to OL!

Back to "Worst advice. Ever" (re: Roark's comment to Peter Keating, in Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead). In the context of the novel, where Rand was presenting aspects of Roark's and Keating's character (also note Keating's advice to Roark in this exchange), it fits right in.

I would like to think that Rand is attempting to build Roark as an "ideal type," and is not suggesting his comments as a code of behavior for others to emulate. I would like to think that, but - viewing the totality of her writings, she probably is suggesting precisely what she has Roark stating in this passage. It is surely consonant, for example, with her estimate of her own character as being the living personification of the heroes of Atlas Shrugged (see the "About the Author" note at the end of Atlas Shrugged.).

However, in my opinion, most people would not be able to agree with the unquestioning self-confidence in their own judgment about career choices or about consulting other people as expressed by Roark in the sentences quoted.

But, anyway, I can think of a lot of "career" advice that is worse than Roark's... How about this?:

Mark 10:21-25

New International Version (NIV)

21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is[a] to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Edited by Jerry Biggers

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I've been away for a while, very busy, but things have improved significantly for me.

First off, I think the winter did quite a number on my spirits. So now that that is over I'm doing quite better. I got accepted to a technical college with a good scholarship and will be going there for Math.

So things are looking up,

-Jordan

Ayn Rand said:

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?"

Worst. Advice. Ever.

All she meant was you don't need other people's opinion on how you should live your own life... How is that bad advice? She viewed one's work, and said so through Roark to Wynand, as the purpose of their life. It's their effect on the world, and it should be a personal decision, as it's their life.

It's like asking, "What do you think would make me happy?" It's obvious how stupid a question that would be to ask.