Anthem by Ayn Rand - Discussion

Kat

"The graphic novel adaptation of Ayn Rand's Anthem is a passable work that faithfully provides visual content to the story. Artists Charles Santino and Joe Staton both have created better works, but this still stands on its own merits as a worthy project. I wish that this were a full color publication, rather than line art."

Necessary Facts here.

My local university library has the Mayhew book of essays. I will pick it up later today.

• 2 years later...

Testing - I spent a good while constructing a post to add to this thread this morning, but the system would not post it. It responds "Saved" but fails to post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry. I had tried to save that post, but what was saved was everything on page one of the thread and not the content of the post. I don't have time to reproduce it, and I can't know if it would succeed in being posted in a second try anyway. Much is weighing against posting here. If you copy from a Word document, the formatting and word order will be messed up. If you type directly into the editor here and try to save on the clipboard what you've produced before clicking "Submit" that too may fail. To type it twice, once in Word, then again in the editor is prohibitive.

You can't trust this buggy software. I used to sometimes save as I wrote. I put "editing" at the end so others would let it go until I was done. That was before this current difficult software iteration. New bugs.

--Brant

every time I rewrote an article it was much better than the original--but that's me

3 hours ago, Guyau said:

If you type directly into the editor here and try to save on the clipboard what you've produced before clicking "Submit" that too may fail. To type it twice, once in Word, then again in the editor is prohibitive.

I recommend an intermediate step, Stephen. Once an edited-in-Word document is ready to paste into the OL box, first paste that full Word text into a plain-text editor like Notepad or Notetab**  -- and then copy that resulting plain-text into the OL editing box.

-- using the "Source" button of the editing suite can help if you need to clear out anything persisting in the software "memory."  Select all the code and delete it (not cut) from the OL editing box.  This gives you a fresh start.

** Notepad is part of the Windows accessories. NoteTab is a free and brilliant plain-text editor with multiple uses. The Apple/Mac equivalent is the built-in TextEdit software, which can be made to spit out only plain text.

Edited by william.scherk
Added link to NoteTab light ...

11 minutes ago, Guyau said:
26 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

-- using the "Source" button of the editing suite can help if you need to clear out anything persisting in the software "memory."  Select all the code and delete it (not cut) from the OL editing box.

.Thanks. I used the source button just now, and at least that takes care of that problem of getting old junk cleared out. Good help.

You are most welcome. Ellen Stuttle has puzzled out a couple of similar short-cuts and fixes for the challenge of nested comments. I use a similar two-step trick here:  first I used the little black "quote" button on your answer, Stephen. Then, without moving my cursor from that resulting quote in the editing box, I go up the page to the first comment to be quoted, and again use the "quote" button pop-up.  This usually results in the same thing as above, a 'nest.'   The resulting 'nest' can be moved around as a bloc.

-- I also use my OL blog as a place to 'test-bed' various techinical challenges in posts and to try to  figure out the best way of harnessing the power of the new software.  If you did this with some of the important items you post, the blog is 'invisible' to all but OL members, and the test-entries can be completely deleted. 

Edited by william.scherk
Added note about test-bed of OL Blogs ...

• 3 years later...

Several years ago I did some textual research into Anthem. The different editions you can buy (Caxton, Signet, etc.) contain many discrepancies - not to mention the Project Gutenberg version. I even went to the Library of Congress to inspect the galley proofs. My conclusion was that the 1946 edition is definitive, so that's the version I republished at my website for texts in the public domain. You can read more at http://monadnock.net/rand/anthem.html and http://monadnock.net/rand/anthem-notes.html if you're so inclined.

• Like 2