14 disgusting things you don't want to know about the food you eat (but probably should)

jts

Carol:

Nice...

surgical...

devastating...

repost...

A...

The "do you know what's in a hot dog" thing never bothered me. As long as I'm not eating a plate of entrails, I know that my diet consists of a bunch of dead plants and animals and that's fine with me.

In fact, watching the hot dog video made me kind of hungry.

When I was 6 living in a French village, I helped the butcher make hot dogs. We used intestines as casing and put real ground meat in it. Maybe not so much today.

I'm glad that I did not click on the link as I usually don't. The only disgusting thing I know about you is that you live in Canda and do not seem to appreciate it.

I appreciate the fact that I can select what I eat. And I appreciate that I have enough options to select from. And I appreciate that I have the knowledge of what to select. Canada has probably just as much crap as USA.

I was trying to be at least slightly funny and at the same time at least slightly informative.

Oh for godsake. You are talking to and are yourself, a digestive system which is millions of years and is fairly self protective. We lived for countless millennia on grubs and worms and dirt and any live fleshy creatures we could get hold of. I myself have eaten a live caterpillar, not that it was especially tasty, but it never did me any harm.

I learned that haggis hasn't been available in the US for about 40 years because we're not allowed to eat sheep's lung. That was a surprise to me because I thought that I had eaten it. Anyway, I did recently eat real, bona fide haggis and it was good. Whatever I'd eaten before I thought was good, but this was good. I had little rounds of it. That and black pudding. Congealed blood is as appetizing as it seems.

You know about congealed blood? OMG, that I love the blutwurst (blood sausage) I grew up with is my most shamefull embarrassing secret. I always figured if anyone knew they'd think I was weird. Guess I just came out of the meat closet. A weight has been lifted.

Big deal. Eat fresh veggies, eat fresh fruit and get your protein from cheese. Problem solved.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Big deal. Eat fresh veggies, eat fresh fruit and get your protein from cheese. Problem solved.

Ba'al Chatzaf

With all the contaminants in the soil you best be growing you're own, rather than getting the store bought. As for cheese, unless you eat the tasteless fat-free type, you're just clogging the arteries.

Ba'al Chatzaf

There never was a problem.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to get all essential amino acids in sufficient quantity with fruits and veggies alone, no animal source food required. This is not opinion or theory. It is fact based on USDA data and calculation from this data. The United States Department of Agriculture maintains a database of 7500+ foods and 140+ nutrients.

The idea that we need animal source food for protein is a myth that refuses to die. It is one of those things that everybody believes because everybody else believes and nobody checks it out from USDA data and calculations from this data. You don't even need to do the calculations yourself; there are plenty of nutrition programs to do the calculations for you. Even if you set the protein requirements twice as high as they should be, protein is not a problematic nutrient on vegan.

The amount we need of an essential amino acid depends on how much of it is used to make nonessential amino acids. For the purpose of calculation, I put all essential amino acids at max, assuming (falsely) that we don't get any nonessential amino acids in diet. Still nowhere near a problem.

Even without computer programs to figure things out, reflect on how herbivorous animals get enough protein. Where does the protein in cheese come from? They eat grass and other vegetation; we can eat veggies.

Myths die hard.

I'm not saying vegan is the way to go. There are problems with vegan but protein is not one of them. The main problem with vegan is vitamin B12. That can be solved by either going nonvegan or by methylcobalamin (not cyanocobalamin).

One of the negatives of cheese and all dairy products is they tend to promote tumors. Anyone who has a tumor and wants to reverse it (without cut poison burn) should avoid dairy.

Cheese is one of the glorious taste experiences that a human can have. A day without cheese is a day without sunshine.

Cheese is one of the glorious taste experiences that a human can have. A day without cheese is a day without sunshine.

Cheese is one of several food items that specially strongly produces dopamine in the brain, the pleasure response. Alan Goldhamer calls it the pleasure trap. For this reason, some people have difficulty giving up cheese and other dairy products even when they know they should. I was into that myself, goat cheese, which is superior to cow cheese. I told myself that it may be some kind of nutritional need. Now that's gone and it's been gone for some time.

About sunshine. Altho I like sunshine, lack of it does not depress me. Neither does lack of cheese.

Cheese is one of several food items that specially strongly produces dopamine in the brain, the pleasure response. Alan Goldhamer calls it the pleasure trap. For this reason, some people have difficulty giving up cheese and other dairy products even when they know they should. I was into that myself, goat cheese, which is superior to cow cheese. I told myself that it may be some kind of nutritional need. Now that's gone and it's been gone for some time.

About sunshine. Altho I like sunshine, lack of it does not depress me. Neither does lack of cheese.

Why would anyone who likes cheese want to give it up? Cheese eaten in reasonable amounts does no harm.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Why would anyone who likes cheese want to give it up? Cheese eaten in reasonable amounts does no harm.

Ba'al Chatzaf

If you had an inoperable tumor and you wanted to reverse it, where would you draw the line with a substance that promotes tumors?

Ba'al Chatzaf

If you had an inoperable tumor and you wanted to reverse it, where would you draw the line with a substance that promotes tumors?

No, I would be an ignorant retarded individual ..can you question beg a tad better?

Let's see, if you had a shit load of C4 in your baggage, and you wanted to explode it, and the timer was reaching zero, would I want to shut it down...hmm geez, what should I do...

Ba'al Chatzaf

No, I would be an ignorant retarded individual ..can you question beg a tad better?

Let's see, if you had a shit load of C4 in your baggage, and you wanted to explode it, and the timer was reaching zero, would I want to shut it down...hmm geez, what should I do...

You are not making sense. Question beg? Wanted to explode it?

I explained about dopamine. Everyone knows the notmilk website and similar websites. Everyone knows that polyps and tumors are difficult or impossible to get rid of while eating dairy, even in moderation. But to each his own.

Contrary to the medical profession, tumors usually can be autolyzed, but it might take some doing to do it.

. Everyone knows the notmilk website and similar websites. Everyone knows that polyps and tumors are difficult or impossible to get rid of while eating dairy, even in moderation. But to each his own.

Contrary to the medical profession, tumors usually can be autolyzed, but it might take some doing to do it.

One should never start an argument with "everyone knows." First of all, everyone does not know.

As to autolysis, it means:

In biology, autolysis, more commonly known as self-digestion, refers to the destruction of a cell through the action of its own enzymes. It may also refer to the digestion of an enzyme by another molecule of the same enzyme. The term derives from the Greek words αυτό ("self") and λύσις ("splitting").

Contents
Cell destruction

Autolytic cell destruction is uncommon in living adult organisms and usually occurs in injured cells or dying tissue. Autolysis is initiated by the cells' lysosomes releasing digestive enzymes into the cytoplasm. These enzymes are however released due to the cessation of active processes in the cell, not as an active process. In other words, though autolysis resembles the active process of digestion of nutrients by live cells, the dead cells are not actively digesting themselves as is often claimed and as the synonym self-digestion of autolysis seems to imply. Autolysis of individual cell organelles can be lessened if the organelle is stored in ice-cold isotonic buffer after cell fractionation.

I was not aware of the word...

A...

Ba'al Chatzaf

I have been eating cheese for 76 of my 77 years. No tumors yet. A day without cheese is a day without wonderfulness.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

I have been eating cheese for 76 of my 77 years. No tumors yet. A day without cheese is a day without wonderfulness.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Amen. A slice of cheese, a sip of wine and thou, beside me in the wilderness....worth the odd benign polyp I would say.

Amen. A slice of cheese, a sip of wine and thou, beside me in the wilderness....worth the odd benign polyp I would say.

Very much so. A Thou wouldn't be bad company at all.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Very much so. A Thou wouldn't be bad company at all.

Ba'al Chatzaf

This is where I talk about Martin Buber, a Jewish philosopher who wrote, I and Thou...the dude talked to trees...

220px-Martin_Buber_portrait.jpg

Martin Buber (Hebrew: מרטין בובר‎; February 8, 1878 – June 13, 1965) was an Austrian-born Israeli Jewish philosopher best known for his philosophy of dialogue, a form of existentialism centered on the distinction between the I–Thou relationship and the I–It relationship.[1] Born in Vienna, Buber came from a family of observant Jews, but broke with Jewish custom to pursue secular studies in philosophy. In 1902, he became the editor of the weekly Die Welt, the central organ of the Zionist movement, although he later withdrew from organizational work in Zionism. In 1923, Buber wrote his famous essay on existence, Ich und Du (later translated into English as I and Thou), and in 1925, he began translating the Hebrew Bible into the German language.

Ich-Du

Ich‑Du ("I‑Thou" or "I‑You") is a relationship that stresses the mutual, holistic existence of two beings. It is a concrete encounter, because these beings meet one another in their authentic existence, without any qualification or objectification of one another. Even imagination and ideas do not play a role in this relation. In an I–Thou encounter, infinity and universality are made actual (rather than being merely concepts).[25] Buber stressed that an Ich‑Du relationship lacks any composition (e.g., structure) and communicates no content (e.g., information). Despite the fact that Ich‑Du cannot be proven to happen as an event (e.g., it cannot be measured), Buber stressed that it is real and perceivable. A variety of examples are used to illustrate Ich‑Du relationships in daily life—two lovers, an observer and a cat, the author and a tree, and two strangers on a train. Common English words used to describe the Ich‑Du relationship include encounter, meeting, dialogue, mutuality, and exchange.

One key Ich‑Du relationship Buber identified was that which can exist between a human being and God. Buber argued that this is the only way in which it is possible to interact with God, and that an Ich‑Du relationship with anything or anyone connects in some way with the eternal relation to God.

To create this I–Thou relationship with God, a person has to be open to the idea of such a relationship, but not actively pursue it. The pursuit of such a relation creates qualities associated with It‑ness, and so would prevent an I‑You relation, limiting it to I‑It. Buber claims that by being open to the I–Thou, God eventually comes to us in response to our welcome. Also, because the God Buber describes is completely devoid of qualities, this I–Thou relation lasts as long as the individual wills it. When individual finally returns to the I‑It, it acts as a pillar of or barrier to deeper relation and community.

Very kinky dude...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Buber

A...