Coulter Surprised Me

Coulter Surprised Me

I watched the following video of Ann Coulter with Jorge Ramos fully expecting to be turned off by Ann's bluster bordering on bigotry. After all, Ann is Ann is Ann.

Instead, I found myself agreeing with her. 

This stuff has to be said in the manner she is saying it because the story wars are so good on defending illegal immigrants, even I was succumbing to the complacency of not believing there was a second side other than xenophobia, excessive patriotism, fear of change and so on.

I know the Latin culture of which she speaks because I lived in it for 32 years. Mexico and Brazil are not so far apart in that respect. And she is right, that culture is not the USA way. We can lose the good we have if we don't watch out.

(I don't know the solution, but just getting clarity on the problem feels real good for now.)

Ann's new book: Adios, America.

I'm going to get this one.

Michael

She's freaking awseome. :smile:

Ann has the same rare quality Ayn had. She is a woman who thinks like a man.

As long as America is governed by males who think like females... it's adios America.

Greg

She's freaking awseome. :smile:

Ann has the same rare quality Ayn had. She is a woman who thinks like a man.

As long as America is governed by males who think like females... it's adios America.

Greg

thinks like a man???? Look at the adam's apple

She is a woman who thinks like a man.

As long as America is governed by males who think like females...

An implicit setup is too rich, here. I have to go for it.

The Setup: Ann has been known to sleep with liberal males, too. She seems to prefer them to conservative males.

All right, Greg. Knock it out of the park.

:)

Michael

She is a woman who thinks like a man.

As long as America is governed by males who think like females...

An implicit setup is too rich, here. I have to go for it.

The Setup: Ann has been known to sleep with liberal males, too. She seems to prefer them to conservative males.

All right, Greg. Knock it out of the park.

:smile:

Michael

She likes to be on top?

They're quickies?

She's a liberal molester?

--Brant

sorry, Greg

Beat me to it! :laugh:

I know nothing about Ann's personal life... only her public appearances on video and by some of her writings. One of her best qualities on camera is that she doesn't give the slithering liberal media snakes any opportunity to control her. Very much like Andrew Breitbart was, she's a loose cannon... and I really like that. :smile:

Greg

...she's a loose cannon...

I disagree with that usage for her Greg:

Origin

loose cannon From the 17th century to the 19th century, wooden warships carried cannon as their primary offensive weapons. In order to avoid damage from their enormous recoil when fired they were mounted on rollers and secured with rope. A loose cannon was just what it sounds like, that is, a cannon that had become free of its restraints and was rolling dangerously about the deck.

As with many nautical phrases, the use of 'loose cannon' owes something to the imagination as no evidence has come to light to indicate that the phrase was used by sailors in the days that ships actually carried cannon. The imagination in question belonged to Victor Hugo who set the scene in the novel Ninety Three, 1874. A translation of the French original describes cannon being tossed about following a violent incident onboard ship:

"The carronade, hurled forward by the pitching, dashed into this knot of men, and crushed four at the first blow; then, flung back and shot out anew by the rolling, it cut in two a fifth poor fellow... The enormous cannon was left alone. She was given up to herself. She was her own mistress, and mistress of the vessel. She could do what she willed with both."

Henry Kingsley picked up this reference in his novel Number Seventeen, 1875, in which he made the first use of the term 'loose cannon' in English:

"At once, of course, the ship was in the trough of the sea, a more fearfully dangerous engine of destruction than Mr. Victor Hugo’s celebrated loose cannon."

The earliest figurative use of 'loose cannon' in print that I can find is from The Galveston Daily News, December 1889:

The negro vote in the south is a unit now mainly because it is opposed by the combined white vote. It would in no event become, as Mr. Grady once said, "a loose cannon in a storm-tossed ship."

The phrase might have dwindled into obscurity in the 20th century but for the intervention of the US president Theodore Roosevelt. William White was a noted US journalist and politician around the turn of the 20th century and was a close friend of Roosevelt. White's Autobiography, published soon after his death in 1944 contained the following reminiscence:

He [Roosevelt] said: "I don't want to be the old cannon loose on the deck in the storm".

loose-cannon.jpg

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/loose-cannon.html

She is a remarkably intelligent woman and knows how to market herself.

Her books are amongst the best researched books that I have ever read.

This one Adios America had 200 pages of text cut and upon information and belief,.100 pages of footnotes.

A...

Not knowing the history, I've always used the term loose cannon as meaning someone who can't be controlled or manipulated by others.

Greg

I would go with independent thinker.

Not knowing the history, I've always used the term loose cannon as meaning someone who can't be controlled or manipulated by others.

Greg

She's definitely that... in spades! :laugh:

Greg

The carnage of a loose cannon was described by Victor Hugo in his novel Ninety Three.

Yes, the quote is in that link.

Ann Coulter, actually was an editor of a Law Review:

While attending Cornell University, Coulter helped found The Cornell Review,[11][12] and was a member of the Delta Gamma national sorority.[13] She graduated cum laude from Cornell in 1984 with a B.A. in history, and received her J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 1988, where she was an editor of the Michigan Law Review.[14] At Michigan, Coulter was president of the local chapter of the Federalist Society and was trained at the National Journalism Center.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter

Greg

Greg

The term "loose cannon" does not mean "independent thinker." Quite the opposite, it means someone who doesn't think before acting. It refers to people who lack prudence and insight, and whose reckless stupidity jeopardizes their own safety and that of the people associated with them or near them.

J

Greg

Greg

The term "loose cannon" does not mean "independent thinker." Quite the opposite, it means someone who doesn't think before acting. It refers to people who lack prudence and insight, and whose reckless stupidity jeopardizes their own safety and that of the people associated with them or near them.

J

J, I used independent thinker to describe Ann Coulter.

I've never been a huge Coulter fan, but I think she is correct here.

Contrary to "open immigration" Objectivists such as Harry Binswanger, there is nothing mystical about crossing the US border that causes a change in people's culture. If Mexico has a disfunctional culture, Mexicans will tend to keep that culture here. Coulter points out in her column that there areas in the USA where the police have given up prosecuting statutory rape because the Mexican parents don't think it's a big deal for a 13 year old girl to get impregnated by a 30 year old.

I don't agree with Coulter that people don't vary in their innate agression. Certainly males are more predisposed to violence than females.

-NP

Usually the legal cutoff for the severity of statutory rape is 14. If the victim is 13 the victimizer is doubly legally damned than if 14 even though it's sill statutory. The only reason it wouldn't be prosecuted is lack of evidence, some of which would come from cooperating witnesses. It's likely Mexican-American on Mexican-American, or poor on poor (relatively speaking), for if it were Anglo on Mexican-American the Anglo would be more likely to have something worth suing for after he was criminally convicted. He also wouldn't be seen as part of the cultural tribe. It wouldn't take long for the Mexican-Americans to become educated about that. The lawyers would educate them as fast as they could.

--Brant

I defer to your legal knowledge, however, but you must know that the police don't prosecute anybody--I once went to a traffic court where the officer tried to prosecute me--that was the way it was done there--and he failed to establish what the speed limit was only that I was going X mph, which I admitted (I asked the judge if the officer was done presenting his case and he said he was and I then pointed this out to the court [boy!--that was one pissed off cop!])

I found this very interesting from Mark from ARIwatch.com (his updated entry on Harry Binswanger)

Now lives in Naples, Florida. The city is 94.1% white. His house cost $840,000 (February 29, 2014) so his neighborhood is probably 100% white. Neighborhood doesn’t quite describe it, it’s a “premier gated residential community” known as Banyan Woods. More from its website (accessed March 2015):

“... fenced on all sides, Banyan Woods offers a gated entry with guardhouse, harkening back to the safe havens we all knew in childhood.”

As for the population density of Banyan Woods, according to the Naples Area Board of Realtors: “With only three single family homes per 100 acres, each home offers plenty of space between neighbors.”

In his piece advocating open borders, Binswanger claims that immigrants "refresh" our society and that the USA is "underpopulated."

-Neil Parille

In his piece advocating open borders, he claims that immigrants "refresh" our society and that the USA is "underpopulated."

-Neil Parille

Ah, you just have to love a return to the medieval landscaping...

Did they put in the moat yet?

I appreciate your work Neil...

A...

Out of curiosity have you ever read one of Ann's books?

A...

No. Adios America is the first book of hers that I will be reading. I'm starting tomorrow.

-Neil

Fair enough.

I think you, in particular, will be impressed with the purity and penetration of her research.

Apparently, she has 200 or so pages of text and approximately the same amount of pages in footnotes.

I will be acquiring a copy this week. I have read two (2) others and was very impressed with her research.

A...

I found this very interesting from Mark from ARIwatch.com (his updated entry on Harry Binswanger)

Now lives in Naples, Florida. The city is 94.1% white. His house cost $840,000 (February 29, 2014) so his neighborhood is probably 100% white. Neighborhood doesn’t quite describe it, it’s a “premier gated residential community” known as Banyan Woods. More from its website (accessed March 2015):

“... fenced on all sides, Banyan Woods offers a gated entry with guardhouse, harkening back to the safe havens we all knew in childhood.”

As for the population density of Banyan Woods, according to the Naples Area Board of Realtors: “With only three single family homes per 100 acres, each home offers plenty of space between neighbors.”

In his piece advocating open borders, Binswanger claims that immigrants "refresh" our society and that the USA is "underpopulated."

-Neil Parille

The housing density is more like 8-10 per acre. The houses are cheek by jowl. You'd have to be an unimaginative, conforming idiot to pay that much to live in such a place.

--Brant

-Neil Parille

The housing density is more like 8-10 per acre. The houses are cheek by jowl. You'd have to be an unimaginative, conforming idiot to pay that much to live in such a place.

--Brant

That's the price people are willing to pay for security... particularly if they're celebrities. Also some people travel and don't want the burden of a large yard. In gated communities they can leave their home for extended periods of time with no worries. I work in some of the most exclusive gated communities in California, and no one gets in without spoken permission of the homeowner, their picture ID photographed, their vehicle license plate photographed, and their own picture taken.

Greg

In a visit to LA--either one in 1976 or '79--I first noticed a gated community. It was in Orange county. I had a hard time believing it. Today I'd have a harder time believing they were being eliminated. There are two kinds, manned and automatic with code. If the community is large it's easy to follow someone in if unmanned for there's lots of traffic. Only a few homes is next to impossible. Some gate is better than no gate, regardless. I think there is one thing especially characteristic of gated and suburbia: lack of children. (And what children there are tend to stay indoors and play electronic games and do social media, most of which is worthless except better than TV.) I know of several property crimes in my neighborhood which wouldn't have happened except for lack of a gate, including one home invasion. In Dayton, OH there are few of any gated communities. My unoccupied uncle's home--he was in a nursing facility--was broken into even though it was in a very upscale neighborhood--and the perpetrator, not an acquaintance, friend or relative--committed suicide by hanging himself in the basement stigmatizing the property. That's another way of being robbed.

--Brant

I think there is one thing especially characteristic of gated and suburbia: lack of children. (And what children there are tend to stay indoors and play electronic games and do social media, most of which is worthless except better than TV.)

Until they walk into gun free zone and exterminate people...