Hockey Playoffs Approach

caroljane

The Nashville Predators play tomorrow night against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. The Preds are still in contention for a playoff birth. We're practically tied with Chicago and are the hottest team in our division right now. We beat the Ducks 2 of 3. Both wins were decisive and the loss was 5-4. Go Preds!

Oh! We face-off against the Canucks Tuesday. Can't wait to see how that one turns out :)

P.S. - The predators are in a tougher division. They have the Redwings and the defending champs(blackhawks) to deal with. Looks like there's no doubt at all the Canucks are in the playoffs. Preds have won their last two matches with Vancouver. I belive it'll be an exciting matchup with the nucks looking for revenge and the preds fighting for a playoff birth.

Edited by Aristocrates

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FRATERNAL ORDER OF THE SACRED IGLOO Local 13

Office of the Grand Shaman

Dear Brothers,

As the Season of Penitence nears and we await it in our individual spiritual states of wild irrational optimism, resigned defeatism or just-stay-drunk-all-the time till the suspense is over, it is good to remind ourselves that in times of turmoil as in calm we are all one nation, that is to say Leafs Nation, except the few dissenters among us, overt and covert. I name no names.

Until the playoffs are decided, there will be prayer services at the Igloo every Wednesday and Saturday, led by Brothers Mahovlich and Henderson Riel, ably assisted by their sister, Johnny Eddie Shack-Bower. Many of the Elders recall the glorious Centennial Year when twins Mack and Henny were born,and Leafs last won the Cup, and the bright future they have always symbolized to us.

No refreshments will be served and only blue and white can be worn. It has to work sometime.

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

And no Davey Keon ??????? Sacre Bleu !!!!!!

Now, its getting down to the wire, I am still pulling for the Leafs BUT ....... if the Leafs do not make it to the playoffs, would you promise me that you will pull for the Flyers in the playoffs along with me pretty please ? I know that this is a tough request but I have been by your side for a while now.

Oh, boy. That is tough. Look at the Canadian teams, just look at them. Edmonton and Ottawa holding down the very last spots in their conferences - Calgary not much better-- I'm writhing. I love Jarome so much!

Bright spot, Reimer rising - but but but. The Canucks---the Canadiens, where my heart is.

OK, if TO and the Canucks AND the Habs do not get through I will go for the Flyers gladly. I like them and will happily cheer them against anybody else, except maybe Tampa because I love Lecavalier.

In return Marc, promise me to hope against Nashville, and that they lose because of the incompetence of Fisher, and that he has to retire early in humiliation and live a life of purse-holding servitude ever after.

Deal?

Deal ! I am pulling for a Canadian team and if Phily does not make it ( and with these goalies m I doubt it ) , I would love to see something like Vancouver -Montreal - love to see those ratings down south !

I will also agree to hope against Nashville with all due respect for the next poster .

The Nashville Predators play tomorrow night against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. The Preds are still in contention for a playoff birth. We're practically tied with Chicago and are the hottest team in our division right now. We beat the Ducks 2 of 3. Both wins were decisive and the loss was 5-4. Go Preds!

Oh! We face-off against the Canucks Tuesday. Can't wait to see how that one turns out :)

P.S. - The predators are in a tougher division. They have the Redwings and the defending champs(blackhawks) to deal with. Looks like there's no doubt at all the Canucks are in the playoffs. Preds have won their last two matches with Vancouver. I belive it'll be an exciting matchup with the nucks looking for revenge and the preds fighting for a playoff birth.

Amazing race out west , 6 teams , 3 points for the last few spots!!!!!!

Fighting for a playoff birth is incredibly stressful. Your husband won't drive you to the hospital till the final buzzer, the doctor keeps yelling "Shoot!" instead of Push, and if you have twins the staff all pressure you to call them McLean and Cherry.

Aristo, thank you for giving me these great openings. Save the proofreading for your profs and keep them coming!

You're in Nashville! Care to start a campaign to make Fisher wear a scarlet T with scowling beaver on his jersey? There is also an ongoing movement to kidnap Vincent Lecavalier and return him to Montreal where he belongs, maybe your girlfriend in Florida could help with that.

On second thought, better not pursue the repatriation plot. If she were involved in abducting Vincent she might want to keep him for herself. You do not need more complications in your relationship.

Fighting for a playoff birth is incredibly stressful. Your husband won't drive you to the hospital till the final buzzer, the doctor keeps yelling "Shoot!" instead of Push, and if you have twins the staff all pressure you to call them McLean and Cherry.

Aristo, thank you for giving me these great openings. Save the proofreading for your profs and keep them coming!

You're in Nashville! Care to start a campaign to make Fisher wear a scarlet T with scowling beaver on his jersey? There is also an ongoing movement to kidnap Vincent Lecavalier and return him to Montreal where he belongs, maybe your girlfriend in Florida could help with that.

haha! you're such a word Nazi. You came out of nowhere on the 9/11 thread, lol. But, it's healthy for me.

I just remembered that there is a devoted Detroit fan, PDS, who is at present concentrating on some silly old trial instead of the Important Things in Life. He is a lawyer so in case he checks in on this thread, he should know that any talk of persecution or harassment or kidnapping or anything like that are only abstract hypothetical like, you know, jokes, like.

Carol

Not a Conspirator

Edited by daunce lynam

On second thought, better not pursue the repatriation plot. If she were involved in abducting Vincent she might want to keep him for herself. You do not need more complications in your relationship.

Just saw some pics of Vinny. It sure is a good thing he's taken already.

He is such a solid, classy player in the Beliveau tradition, but my fandom of him is mainly that he looks almost exactly like my late, great husband. Eddie was a soccer player not hockey, and though a fanatic Leafs fan was patronized by his sons for not really understanding hockey. I get the same treatment from the boys, but secretly I know that hockey is soccer on skates with sticks, and soccer is essentialized hockey, and if Ayn Rand were alive she would agree with me.

There's no justification for that assumption, and I'm sure Ayn Rand never thought about hockey in her life, but this is Objectivist Living and I think it's only polite to mention her once in a while.

Yes, there is just no getting those iceborne menschen away from their wives no matter how old and ugly they get. I speak as one who has pined unrequitedly for Jean Beliveau for 40 long, lonely years.

There is also a fangroup who show up at Sidney Crosby's games dressed hopefully in wedding gowns. He has not taken the hint yet. He is a great player but not much of a conceptual thinker.

Edited by daunce lynam

Have you seen Ryan Suters own goal? He kicked it in like a soccer pro. Preds still won even with Suters pair of OG's. At the moment we're 2nd in the division and 5th in the conference. Preds are 3rd in GA only behind Vancouver and Boston. Vancouver is arguably the best in the leaque and Boston is placed 3rd in the eastern conference.

Edited by Aristocrates

Have you seen Ryan Suters own goal? He kicked it in like a soccer pro. Preds still won even with Suters pair of OG's. At the moment we're 2nd in the division and 5th in the conference. Preds are 3rd in GA only behind Vancouver and Boston. Vancouver is arguably the best in the leaque and Boston is placed 3rd in the eastern conference.

way to go, Ryan. He must have become overexcited like our goalie Rahida. (She's on Canadian Boring if you ever have insomnia).

There was an old-time goalie who managed to get the puck all the way into the other team's empty net and score the winning goal. I think it was Jacques Plante but am not sure.

way to go, Ryan. He must have become overexcited like our goalie Rahida. (She's on Canadian Boring if you ever have insomnia).

There was an old-time goalie who managed to get the puck all the way into the other team's empty net and score the winning goal. I think it was Jacques Plante but am not sure.

Plante (Jake the Snake) was one of the alltime greatest, and the bravest for pioneering the face mask and not caring a damn for being called a coward and traitor to the tradition, etc.

Bernie Parent was another great. It's rumoured he was one of the models for the shall we say overexcitable goalie in Slapshot, but I remember him as rather phlegmatic. Didn't he spend seasons in boston or NY when they did nothing but lose, all the time?

ARE THEY DEAD OR WILL THEY JUST NOT LIE DOWN?

Leafs win 4-3, can't take much more.

Real conversation, one hour ago.

ME: Hi son, happy birthday!

HE: Thanks Mom, I'm at work..

ME: I know, won't keep you..

HE: MOM, THE LEAFS ARE PLAYING I GOTTA GO I'LL CALL YOU LATER!

This boy works in a freaking subway tunnel. I fear for us all.

I saw your mention of Bernie Parent and as a life time Flyers fan ( as you are aware ) I ask if you remember the ''sign guy '' in Phily circa 1970-1980 and my favorite sign of his read " Only the Lord saves more than Bernie".

Ok .... the race .....

NYR play at Phily today , then home to Bos, Atla and NJ.

Carolina plays @ Atla, then home to Buff, Det and TB

Leafs play @ NJ and home to Wash and Mont .

Tougher considering Cains are ahead of them as well, but alive nonetheless.

I saw your mention of Bernie Parent and as a life time Flyers fan ( as you are aware ) I ask if you remember the ''sign guy '' in Phily circa 1970-1980 and my favorite sign of his read " Only the Lord saves more than Bernie".

Ok .... the race .....

NYR play at Phily today , then home to Bos, Atla and NJ.

Carolina plays @ Atla, then home to Buff, Det and TB

Leafs play @ NJ and home to Wash and Mont .

Tougher considering Cains are ahead of them as well, but alive nonetheless.

And the classic, "Jesus saves!...and Richard scores on the rebound!"

btw the above son is playing in two tournaments this weekend - one in Niagara Falls and a final in Toronto tonight. Heavy commuting.

ODE TO A FALLEN MAPLE LEAF

Outscored by the foe

A-golfing you go

Sixth time in a row!

You overpaid schmo.

So brilliant your skate

Right up till too late;

Past months not so great

Determined your fate.

So how do we show

Our impotent woe?

Away should we go

And cheer you no mo'?

...Well, not really, no.

Also offtopic Brother, your lodge dues are late again. Gord the Griper is refusing to pay up and Grampa McAloon is still out in the woods so we are seriously short. I'll take a cheque.

Also, it's your turn to go tell old man McAloon he can come back now, the Leafs are out of the playoffs as we all know but he doesn't yet. I did it last year and I'm not going again. Take somebody with you, don't go right up to his cabin, just stand back a ways and yell for him to come out and then tell him.

Talk to you soon

Nanook

Did you see the latest marine tribute to Our Game in Vancouver? A salmon (most appropriate) was thrown on the ice during the Canuck-Wild matchup. Ref L'Ecuyer was reluctant to approach it, causing the Minnesota bench to jeer. "Oh, pick it up. It's only a salmon, for cripe's sakes. You act like it's poison."

Perhaps the squeamish l'Ecuyer should take a workshop in Pescatorial Management from the veteran octopi-wranglers in Detroit. It did wonders for the Nashville officials when confronted with their first catfish.

In other sealife news, sources report that Paul, late of Germany,has become a hockey fan through acquaintance with the large community of Michigander Octopi it Aquarium Heaven.He predicts an all-Canadian Stanley Cup final.