Modern Architecture at Its Worst

Adam And PDS, you flatter me to bits but I am happy in the nooks and crevices I already haunt. The Corners of Insight are scholarly abodes and as Brant notes, workstations. I am more of a toils-not-neither- does-she-spin type myself.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam And PDS, you flatter me to bits but I am happy in the nooks and crevices I already haunt. The Corners of Insight are scholarly abodes and as Brant notes, workstations. I am more of a toils-not-neither- does-she-spin type myself.

Some corners have nooks and crannies, too. I would be happy to haunt a Daunce Corner anyday.

Some corners have nooks and crannies, too. I would be happy to haunt a Daunce Corner anyday.

She could call it Carol's Canadian English Muffin Corner...lot's of nooks and crannies...

26_S.jpg

01_S.jpg

02_S.jpg

04_S.jpg

07_S.jpg

10_S.jpg

11_S.jpg

12_S.jpg

13_S.jpg

14_S.jpg

15_S.jpg

17_S.jpg

19_S.jpg

20_S.jpg

WOW... what a beautiful building...

I love the shiny one on the far left, too.

reflecting the beautiful strands of the Great Bridge...yes indeed...

26_S.jpg
01_S.jpg
02_S.jpg
04_S.jpg
07_S.jpg
10_S.jpg
11_S.jpg
12_S.jpg
13_S.jpg
14_S.jpg
15_S.jpg
17_S.jpg
19_S.jpg
20_S.jpg
WOW... what a beautiful building...

What are curvy things for?

At a distance it looks good. Up close not so good.

At a distance it looks good. Up close not so good.

Let's consider that thought...this is a tall building at the confluence of two rivers opening to one of the greatest ports in the history of the world...

perhaps they represent the waves and forces of the Atlantic...perhaps they represent the waves and forces of legal immigration that swept our essence in America...

Do those waves move you? They move me at primal level. Have you read Dune?

Dune is a 1965 epic science fiction novel by Frank Herbert. It won the Hugo Award in 1966,[1] and the inaugural Nebula Award for Best Novel.[2]Dune is the world's best-selling science fiction novel[3][4] and is the start of the Dune saga.

A...

Let's consider that thought...

Let's consider that it cost twice as much as conventional construction; that it's essentially feminine (homoerotic?) and if every New York skyscraper was designed by Gehry, the entire city would look like a surreal garbage dump, erected with lavish government hand-outs.

"Studios start at $2,630-per-month, one-bedrooms are $3,580 and two-bedrooms $5,945. None of the units are for sale. It looks as though their bread and butter residents will be 20-something investment bankers who want to live close to where they work and empty-nesters from Midtown or the Upper East/West Side who don’t happen to own their own place. The building was built with $203.9 million in tax-free financing from the New York Liberty Bond Program, a pool of funding that was made available after the events of September 11, 2001 to help finance the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan. The project also secured $476 million in taxable debt from a group of six banks...

"The New York building isn’t entirely residential: its lowest six floors will house public amenities, including a five floor K-8 public school financed with public dollars...

"The building is designed to exude an element of upper-class luxury, and this extends to the ground level where 'residents will enter through a covered drive that cuts through the block along the building’s western side. Framed by massive brick pillars and a glass-enclosed lobby, the space’s generous proportions will accommodate taxis and limousines ferrying people in and out of the building, making it feel more like a luxury hotel than a classic Manhattan apartment building' (The New York Times).

"With enough space to house a small city, it’s a shame that the residents will end up to be a population of rather monochromatic, upper income residents occupying a building that doesn’t push the ball of environmental and social sustainability forward."

http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/urban-sense/23627/new-york-gehry-deconstructing-tallest-residential-structure-west

Conventional window-washing rigs slide up, down, and side to side to get around a building, but at Eight Spruce, the apparatus has to contend with lots of curves and angles. Starting on the roof, two washers load their low-tech supplies—squeegees, dish soap, a bag lunch­—into a custom-designed rig comprising six “baskets,” which move individually. A telescoping crane lowers the rig to a fixed position. Then a basket—or baskets, depending on the location—is pushed snugly against the glass-and-steel exterior. To get to the next floor, the crane moves the rig out from the curtain wall, realigns the basket, and drops... $1.5 million to $3 million estimated combined cost of system installation (sans rig purchase) plus one round of cleaning 2,000+ windows. Six months to complete annual cleaning.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/06/window-washing-8-spruce-street.html

Let's consider that thought...

Let's consider that it cost twice as much as conventional construction; that it's essentially feminine (homoerotic?) and if every New York skyscraper was designed by Gehry, the entire city would look like a surreal garbage dump, erected with lavish government hand-outs.

Wolf...let's assume?

Why?

A...

As far as I'm concerned, it's chi-chi grandstanding, spare no expense. Skipped FEED, ignored opex and ROI.

Ok - your opinion, your call.

Visually I love the Gehry building in NY City

Let's consider that it cost twice as much as conventional construction;' that it's essentially feminine (homoerotic?)...

Actually let's consider that the feminine homoeroticism is strictly your subjective interpretation. It's something that is not in the building, but rather was contributed by your consciousness.

...and if every New York skyscraper was designed by Gehry, the entire city would look like a surreal garbage dump, erected with lavish government hand-outs.

If every building were designed by the same architect, regardless of which individual architect, the results would probably be very unappealing. Variety is nice.

"Studios start at $2,630-per-month, one-bedrooms are $3,580 and two-bedrooms $5,945. None of the units are for sale. It looks as though their bread and butter residents will be 20-something investment bankers who want to live close to where they work and empty-nesters from Midtown or the Upper East/West Side who dont happen to own their own place. The building was built with $203.9 million in tax-free financing from the New York Liberty Bond Program, a pool of funding that was made available after the events of September 11, 2001 to help finance the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan. The project also secured $476 million in taxable debt from a group of six banks...

"The New York building isnt entirely residential: its lowest six floors will house public amenities, including a five floor K-8 public school financed with public dollars...

"The building is designed to exude an element of upper-class luxury, and this extends to the ground level where 'residents will enter through a covered drive that cuts through the block along the buildings western side. Framed by massive brick pillars and a glass-enclosed lobby, the spaces generous proportions will accommodate taxis and limousines ferrying people in and out of the building, making it feel more like a luxury hotel than a classic Manhattan apartment building' (The New York Times).

"With enough space to house a small city, its a shame that the residents will end up to be a population of rather monochromatic, upper income residents occupying a building that doesnt push the ball of environmental and social sustainability forward."

http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/urban-sense/23627/new-york-gehry-deconstructing-tallest-residential-structure-west

Conventional window-washing rigs slide up, down, and side to side to get around a building, but at Eight Spruce, the apparatus has to contend with lots of curves and angles. Starting on the roof, two washers load their low-tech suppliessqueegees, dish soap, a bag lunch­into a custom-designed rig comprising six baskets, which move individually. A telescoping crane lowers the rig to a fixed position. Then a basketor baskets, depending on the locationis pushed snugly against the glass-and-steel exterior. To get to the next floor, the crane moves the rig out from the curtain wall, realigns the basket, and drops... $1.5 million to $3 million estimated combined cost of system installation (sans rig purchase) plus one round of cleaning 2,000+ windows. Six months to complete annual cleaning.http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/06/window-washing-8-spruce-street.html

You should see the maintenance costs on other works of art!

As far as I'm concerned, it's chi-chi grandstanding, spare no expense.

Other people will have the same opinion about artworks that you adore. Are you just now discovering what art is, what it costs, and that different people value individual artworks differently than you do?

J

J

Thank you so much for this information.

It just opened. I was wondering how I could have missed this beauty.

A...

As far as I'm concerned, it's chi-chi grandstanding, spare no expense. Skipped FEED, ignored opex and ROI.

I like it at a distance. Up close it is very confusing.

I like it at a distance. Up close it is very confusing.

Just the opposite is true for me. It feels chaotic to me from a distance, but it makes more sense up close.

• 1 month later...