BASIC PRINCIPLES BOOK ANNOUNCED

It's good to see a realistic assessment of this issue for a change. The overwhelming majority of Rand's readers never move on from her novels to her nonfiction, irrespective of the form that nonfiction takes. Millions have read her novels. Tens of thousands (at most) have read her essays and those of her associates and colleagues.

JR

Really? Only "tens of thousands (at most) have read her essays and those of her associates and colleagues."

As of 2008, her nonfiction books have sold 5 million copies. Sales figures for The Virtue of Selfishness alone, were 1,250,000 copies. Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal had sold 800,000 copies.

As of 2009, Atlas Shrugged had sold 6,250,000 copies. Before the economic crisis, A.S. normally sold about 200,000 copies per year. Last year, however, the figures jumped to 800,000. Even subtracting the free copies of her fiction books given out by ARI for its high school essay contests, we are left with a figure of at least 500,000.

Now perhaps these figures are not as impressive as they appear. So let's just deal with the nonfiction book sales. Would anyone care to post the sales figures of any other libertarian nonfiction book that equals or surpasses these numbers?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry, that's very encouraging! I hadn't realized the non-fiction had sold that well.

Where did you get the numbers for VOS, CUI, and the total non-fiction? (I'm wondering if that source might have such figures for other books - I'd like to see teh figures of Romantic Manifesto, for OPAR, etc.)

Edited by Philip Coates

Jerry, that's very encouraging! I hadn't realized the non-fiction had sold that well.

Where did you get the numbers for VOS, CUI, and the total non-fiction? (I'm wondering if that source might have such figures for other books - I'd like to see the figures of Romantic Manifesto, for OPAR, etc.)

Jennifer Burns,in her new book, Goddess of the Market, references the April 2009 issue of Impact newsletter from ARI. That issue is available online in pdf format on the ARI site. Additionally, more details pop-up using their own search engine, from press releases, etc. Of course, they could be exaggerating.....but judging from the rather relentless fact-checking that Burns displays throughout her book (and no party is spared), I doubt that she would be accepting the sales figures given by ARI if she thought that the figures were inflated.

Anyway, sales figures are also given for For The New Intellectual (1 million) and The Romantic Manifesto (I think they gave a figure of around 300,000. I don't have the article in front of me). Other nonfiction books by Rand are not mentioned by title, and OPAR was also not listed (probably because Rand was not the author).

Thanks, Jerry. That's the first good news I've heard in a while. I'm very glad to hear the dropoff from fiction to non-fiction is not as great as I had thought.

Very important for obvious reasons for the future of Objectivism. This has made my day.

It has a steep price tag. I'd appreciate any recommendations pro or con on buying the book.

I bought Leather #1 at FreeMinds and simply can NOT wait to get it!

Mark

Wow! Leather-bound #1 was listed on the Laissez Faire Books website for $1,000. That definitely qualifies "EconMan" - Mark - as the Number 1 Nathaniel Branden fan!

EconMan, you aren't by any chance, actually.... Nathaniel Branden? :unsure:

Funny, I kinda thought that the Number 1 copy would have been snapped-up by Leonard :rolleyes::lol:

...or Perigo :wacko:

Hmmm, guess he's probably saving his money for the follow-up: the first leather-bound copy of Barbara Branden's Principles of Efficient Thinking. :P

Edited by Jerry Biggers

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this elsewhere, but I am adding it here due to its relevance:

In their just-released email newsletter, Laissez Faire Books is still reporting a publication date for The Vision of Ayn Rand: The Basic Principles of Objectivism, as late October. They also announced that the book would also be available in a clothbound edition for $39.95, along with the previously announced paperback edition, $22.95, and the leatherbound numbered, signed edition at $249.95. Their website: www.lfb.org

I noticed the big sales figures on For the New Intellectual in the Burns book.

It did not come as a surprise to learn that Bennett Cerf was sorry to lose Ayn Rand as an author.

Still, it seems, from more than one report, that he was not quite that fond of publishing her proposed book about (or at least entitled) The Fascist New Frontier. Can't imagine why.

Especially after the referenced politician was deified, martyred, what you (well, some "you"s) will. Not that Americans in the media establishment are prone to that obeisance very often, o'course.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm hearing the chants and the incense being lit before Obama's portrait on MSNBC, with Olbermann's "Oddball" humor clips being over, so I have to tune in the cable commercial-free Jazz channel. Thelonious Monk isn't wound up in politics. Thank the gods.

I noticed the big sales figures on For the New Intellectual in the Burns book.

It did not come as a surprise to learn that Bennett Cerf was sorry to lose Ayn Rand as an author.

Still, it seems, from more than one report, that he was not quite that fond of publishing her proposed book about (or at least entitled) The Fascist New Frontier. Can't imagine why.

Especially after the referenced politician was deified, martyred, what you (well, some "you"s) will. Not that Americans in the media establishment are prone to that obeisance very often, o'course.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm hearing the chants and the incense being lit before Obama's portrait on MSNBC, with Olbermann's "Oddball" humor clips being over, so I have to tune in the cable commercial-free Jazz channel. Thelonious Monk isn't wound up in politics. Thank the gods.

I have long thought that Miss Rand may have read more into her friendship with Cerf than was actually there.

I also find it interesting when her next book was published it was "The Virtue of Selfishness". VOS has very little about politics. The book that dealt more with political issues was CUI.

Could Miss Rand had decided that there may not have been enough material for Facist New Frontier and decided to deal more with ethics in her next book.

UPDATED EMAIL ANNOUNCEMENT (October 21) FROM LAISSEZ FAIRE BOOKS ON THE CURRENT STATUS OF THE VISION OF AYN RAND - THE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF OBJECTIVISM BOOK PROJECT:

We have asked the printer for an estimated print date and delivery date. We will have all the shipments prepared in advance so all we have to do is add the book and rush down to the post office with them. We expect to have all copies in the post within 24 hours of receiving the book, provided the post is open that day. Watch the website pages, where the book is promoted, as we will post the estimated delivery date once we know it. But we are now in the final stages of a massive project --- 603 pages massive, to be exact.

Thank you

James Peron

Laissez Faire Books

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATED EMAIL ANNOUNCEMENT (October 21) FROM LAISSEZ FAIRE BOOKS ON THE CURRENT STATUS OF THE VISION OF AYN RAND - THE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF OBJECTIVISM BOOK PROJECT:

We have asked the printer for an estimated print date and delivery date. We will have all the shipments prepared in advance so all we have to do is add the book and rush down to the post office with them. We expect to have all copies in the post within 24 hours of receiving the book, provided the post is open that day. Watch the website pages, where the book is promoted, as we will post the estimated delivery date once we know it. But we are now in the final stages of a massive project --- 603 pages massive, to be exact.

Thank you

James Peron

Laissez Faire Books

The new Winter catalog/magazine of Laissez Faire Books was just released, a day or so ago. As I have mentioned in another thread, this issue has a special section on "The Ayn Rand Explosion," with reviews of the Heller and Burns biographies.

There is also another announcement that Nathaniel Branden's new book (described above) will soon be out (no, really). They also mentioned that, in addition to the Foreward by Barbara Branden, an "Afterward" by Nathaniel has been added, describing his agreements/differences with Objectivism.

Take a look at their website, www.lfb.org and click on their new catalog to see or download the new issue.

• 4 weeks later...

The last I heard from Jim Peron was that the book was to be delivered from the printer on December 10 - two days from now. Then, as soon as they come in they will push them out the door to those of us who are waiting for them.

Actually, I suspect that the audience out there is huge. Everyone to whom I teach Objectivism in an entry level presentation responds positively to it. That includes working men and women, college professors, and IT professionals. Tara Smith's Moral Rights and Political Freedom is the current selection in my book club and is getting rave reviews. Objectivism is the only philosophy that has a chance to turn this country around.

Here's the important thing about Objectivism: it really isn't that hard to grasp and use. The real beauty of rationality is the ease with which one can spot one's mistaken actions or ideas and correct them. Reality rocks.

I couldn't help noticing that Barbara Branden has not answered my question about getting someone to do the transcripts of her "Efficient Thinking" series. I have the CD book and it is easy to hear, no static or buzz, so I don't feel so desperate for the transcript. Still, it would be nice for looking up specific ideas.

Here's a question for the OL group: If you are interested in the subject, would you mind passing along a short statement of what you personally are doing to help return our country to a constitutional republic?

Mary Lee

The last I heard from Jim Peron was that the book was to be delivered from the printer on December 10 - two days from now. Then, as soon as they come in they will push them out the door to those of us who are waiting for them.

Actually, I suspect that the audience out there is huge. Everyone to whom I teach Objectivism in an entry level presentation responds positively to it. That includes working men and women, college professors, and IT professionals. Tara Smith's Moral Rights and Political Freedom is the current selection in my book club and is getting rave reviews. Objectivism is the only philosophy that has a chance to turn this country around.

Here's the important thing about Objectivism: it really isn't that hard to grasp and use. The real beauty of rationality is the ease with which one can spot one's mistaken actions or ideas and correct them. Reality rocks.

I couldn't help noticing that Barbara Branden has not answered my question about getting someone to do the transcripts of her "Efficient Thinking" series. I have the CD book and it is easy to hear, no static or buzz, so I don't feel so desperate for the transcript. Still, it would be nice for looking up specific ideas.

Here's a question for the OL group: If you are interested in the subject, would you mind passing along a short statement of what you personally are doing to help return our country to a constitutional republic?

Mary Lee

Thank you for your information. My understanding is that the transcription of the entire Principles of Efficient Thinking was completed within the last year by Roger Bissell, so I expect that it will be published in printed format in the near future.

However, I do not have the details as to how far along the publication is at this point.

As a bibliophile, I find the problems LFB seems to have with getting this book out strange.

I am a fan of several small presses, who have now gone to using POD publishers like CreateSpace (part of Amazon) and Lulu. The books I get from them are good, quality paperbacks. They can apparently also do hardbacks thru Lulu (no idea with CreateSpace). These are, in many cases, small operations (1 guy, or a couple of people), yet are able to put out quality stuff.

The Ludwig von Mises Institute has in recent years become (IMO) a sort of libertarian publishing powerhouse. They seem to be pumping out new (or in many cases, reprints) of works on an almost weekly pace. They just came out with a new, hardcover edition of Mises' "The Theory of Money and Credit".

When ITIL took over LFB, they said they would restart the old Cobden Press imprint to bring out new and classic libertarian works. Yet, the Branden book seems to be their first effort, and they seem to have problems. Reading some other things they've said, seems to indicate they haven't taken advantage of the advancements in printing (I read of them complaining of the costs of putting together books. Yet Mises is doing it easily, and note my comments about the small pressing doing it).

I look forward to seeing this new work, but really think ITIL/LFB needs to find out how Mises et al are doing things.

As a bibliophile, I find the problems LFB seems to have with getting this book out strange.

I am a fan of several small presses, who have now gone to using POD publishers like CreateSpace (part of Amazon) and Lulu. The books I get from them are good, quality paperbacks. They can apparently also do hardbacks thru Lulu (no idea with CreateSpace). These are, in many cases, small operations (1 guy, or a couple of people), yet are able to put out quality stuff.

The Ludwig von Mises Institute has in recent years become (IMO) a sort of libertarian publishing powerhouse. They seem to be pumping out new (or in many cases, reprints) of works on an almost weekly pace. They just came out with a new, hardcover edition of Mises' "The Theory of Money and Credit".

When ITIL took over LFB, they said they would restart the old Cobden Press imprint to bring out new and classic libertarian works. Yet, the Branden book seems to be their first effort, and they seem to have problems. Reading some other things they've said, seems to indicate they haven't taken advantage of the advancements in printing (I read of them complaining of the costs of putting together books. Yet Mises is doing it easily, and note my comments about the small pressing doing it).

I look forward to seeing this new work, but really think ITIL/LFB needs to find out how Mises et al are doing things.

Exactly! Another print-on-demand publishing house that has turned-out quality books is iUniverse (at www.iUniverse.com) or 1-800-authors (1-800-288-4677). See, for example, their publication of The Age of Rand: Imagining an Objectivist Future World," by Frederick Cookinham, and available through Amazon.com.

Cookinham's book, by the way, is a thoroughly enjoyable read, with lots of useful information (481 pages), a lot of humor, and none of the nastiness that has been printed in some books (and I'm not referring to the two recent biographical studies by Professor Jennifer Burns and Anne Heller!). PARC comes to mind as a malicious example.

Fred Cookinham runs walking tours in New York, one of which is Ayn Rand's New York. He has a website at www.centurywalkingtours.com.

The most recent announcement (Friday, December 11) from LFB that I also posted in the other thread on this book, BPO BOOK STATUS:

The Vision of Ayn Rand finally came off the press a couple of days ago. According to the freight company they are still on target to deliver the copies to us sometime on Friday afternoon, Dec. 11th.

These are the paperback copies. The hardback and leather bound editions have to go through additional processes of binding and will be delivered later.

We are preparing the shipping packaging for all these orders so that will go out by Saturday noon, based on the delivery schedule not changing at the last minute.

We had unexpected problems with the printer, who has always been reliable in the past, but for some reason was unusually slow this time. And we made the best judgment call we could by leaving it there to finish, as moving it to another printer would probably have delayed publication even further. We apologize for the problems.

James Peron

Laissez Faire Books

• 2 weeks later...

My paper back copy is in my hands. Received the book on Monday. Happy as a clam that we will be iced in here in Iowa - lots of time to read. The acknowledgements page lists Roger Bissell as a major player in getting the lectures transcribed. Thank you! Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Biggers - thank you! Robert Campbell - thank you! Barbara Branden - thank you! Jim Peron - long suffering publication manager - thank you!

Nathaniel Branden - thank you most of all!!! And yes, I remember the scene between Rearden and Galt in the Airplane.

Since my paperback copy arrived today, I'm drinking a glass of wine (red, fairly dry) in honor of those who have contributed to this work finally coming out. First, of course, Nathaniel Branden. Also, Barbara Branden, Roger Bissell and the entire crew of transcribers, and Jim Peron. As well as whoever I have left out.

It took a long time - - - over 40 years post-schism - - - but now it is here.

Bill P

My paper back copy is in my hands. Received the book on Monday. Happy as a clam that we will be iced in here in Iowa - lots of time to read. The acknowledgements page lists Roger Bissell as a major player in getting the lectures transcribed. Thank you! Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Biggers - thank you! Robert Campbell - thank you! Barbara Branden - thank you! Jim Peron - long suffering publication manager - thank you!

Nathaniel Branden - thank you most of all!!! And yes, I remember the scene between Rearden and Galt in the Airplane.

"And that is why I thank you!"

Well said Mary

Although I and my wife played a role in bringing BPO from recorded lectures to the printed page, we have not yet been able to see a final copy because we have been "on the road" since the book reportedly started arriving in purchasers' mail. We trust that the printing errors that some have found are minor and do not detract from the overall value of its contents.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to capture all of the oral delivery style, with its inflections and verbal nuances, that Branden used to such great effectiveness in his audio presentations of these lectures. I am thinking here, in particular, of Branden's droll recounting of the illogic of religionists' attempts to explain the existence of evil while at the same time maintaining that God is both all-good and all-powerful. (from Lecture 4, "The Concept of God."). Even so, a perceptive reader should be able to capture Branden's meaning. I personally regard that lecture as one of the most concise, tightly-reasoned, and devastating, refutations of belief in God that has ever been delivered in oral format. Of course, there are books that have gone much farther in analyzing the meanings and impact of religion (e.g., George H. Smith's Atheism: The Case Against God), but in stating the essentials of the argument, this lecture by Branden has no peer.

While doing the transcription, it was obvious to me that the value of the text could could be greatly enhanced with the use of footnotes and annotation. Some references to events and personalities of the mid-nineteen sixties may seem puzzling to younger readers. Although I have not yet seen the finished product to verify this, it was my understanding that bringing the text fully up to date would require so much additional annotation that the resulting expanded size of the book would have been prohibitive. Maybe a second edition, or a supplement, will be issued that can address these issues.

Anyway, thanks to all that have complemented those responsible for the book. We all felt that these lectures had so much historical value and were so effective in their presentation of the case for Objectivism, that it was imperative that they be available to the wider potential audience of the printed format. Most of all, thanks to Nathaniel Branden, Barbara Branden and of course, Ayn Rand, who made these lectures possible.

Although I and my wife played a role in bringing BPO from recorded lectures to the printed page, we have not yet been able to see a final copy because we have been "on the road" since the book reportedly started arriving in purchasers' mail. We trust that the printing errors that some have found are minor and do not detract from the overall value of its contents.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to capture all of the oral delivery style, with its inflections and verbal nuances, that Branden used to such great effectiveness in his audio presentations of these lectures. I am thinking here, in particular, of Branden's droll recounting of the illogic of religionists' attempts to explain the existence of evil while at the same time maintaining that God is both all-good and all-powerful. (from Lecture 4, "The Concept of God."). Even so, a perceptive reader should be able to capture Branden's meaning. I personally regard that lecture as one of the most concise, tightly-reasoned, and devastating, refutations of belief in God that has ever been delivered in oral format. Of course, there are books that have gone much farther in analyzing the meanings and impact of religion (e.g., George H. Smith's Atheism: The Case Against God), but in stating the essentials of the argument, this lecture by Branden has no peer.

While doing the transcription, it was obvious to me that the value of the text could could be greatly enhanced with the use of footnotes and annotation. Some references to events and personalities of the mid-nineteen sixties may seem puzzling to younger readers. Although I have not yet seen the finished product to verify this, it was my understanding that bringing the text fully up to date would require so much additional annotation that the resulting expanded size of the book would have been prohibitive. Maybe a second edition, or a supplement, will be issued that can address these issues.

Anyway, thanks to all that have complemented those responsible for the book. We all felt that these lectures had so much historical value and were so effective in their presentation of the case for Objectivism, that it was imperative that they be available to the wider potential audience of the printed format. Most of all, thanks to Nathaniel Branden, Barbara Branden and of course, Ayn Rand, who made these lectures possible.

Personally, I would like to see a volume doing a thorough critique of both NB's and LP's books on Objectivism. I envision eight sections--one for each of the 5 main branches of philosophy, one of NB's forte: psychology, one on LP's forte: history of philosophy, and one on the relevance of their works for the future.

Secondly, I apologize as sincerely and deeply as I can for the horrendously error-ridden index of The Vision of Ayn Rand, and I hereby announce that I am in the process of re-doing it -- i.e., DOING IT RIGHT this time. I will post it here, there, anywhere it makes sense to post it, and I will make it available to Jim Peron @ Cobden Press for (what I hope will be) future editions of the book.

Best to all for the holidays,

REB

Personally, I would like to see a volume doing a thorough critique of both NB's and LP's books on Objectivism. I envision eight sections--one for each of the 5 main branches of philosophy, one of NB's forte: psychology, one on LP's forte: history of philosophy, and one on the relevance of their works for the future.

Secondly, I apologize as sincerely and deeply as I can for the horrendously error-ridden index of The Vision of Ayn Rand, and I hereby announce that I am in the process of re-doing it -- i.e., DOING IT RIGHT this time. I will post it here, there, anywhere it makes sense to post it, and I will make it available to Jim Peron @ Cobden Press for (what I hope will be) future editions of the book.

REB

Roger -

Don't feel too bad about the index. You led in an accomplishment. Many waited 40 years or more for this publication.

Just think what it would have been like if you had been trying to get Rand's approval of the work (pre-schism, of course). From the tales of LP's experiences on Ominous Parallels, it might have taken 400 years!

Bill P

REB

Roger -

Don't feel too bad about the index. You led in an accomplishment. Many waited 40 years or more for this publication.

Just think what it would have been like if you had been trying to get Rand's approval of the work (pre-schism, of course). From the tales of LP's experiences on Ominous Parallels, it might have taken 400 years!

Bill P

Although (as explained above), I have not yet had the opportunity to examine the published book, I will not let that minor deficit stop me from adding a comment about this Index issue, anyway (after all, it is sort of an Objectivist tradition to comment on the contents of books not yet read....).

I know Roger was sort of given (drafted?) the assignment at the last minute to create an Index for The Vision of Ayn Rand. Creating an index is a very time-consuming and intensive amount of work, with or without some of the software programs designed to assist with such a project. Not only did Roger supervise the whole transcription project, he also transcribed the great majority of the lectures himself, plus editing or correcting what others contributed. So, to also have to create an Index in the eleventh hour is above and beyond the call of....well, duty.

To make a few comparisons within the Objectivist tradition, some of Rand's nonfiction books did not have indexes (e.g.,FNI, ITOE). Peikoff's OPAR came with an Index, but it was so inadequate that an expanded or supplementary index was created for the second edition of Gary Hull's pamphlet, an "Examination/Study Guide" to OPAR. Unfortunately, this additional index was never incorporated into later printings of OPAR, itself (I think Hull's pamphlet is still available through ARI's Ayn Rand Bookstore). Footnotes, Bibliography, and other annotation were included in OPAR, but it was at a bare minimum (compare, for example, with the exemplary annotation that Chris Sciabarra uses in his masterful, Ayn Rand: The Russian Radical).