Scabs vs strikers?

JamesShrugged

In atlas shrugged, some of the heros are presented as scabs to a strike (whose memebers are also presented as heros) which is presented as ultimately the right course of actions. What do you think are the differences between rearden and dagny vs Galt, frisco, and ragnar?

It took Dagny a while to realize that trying to keep here railroad alive was only a blood transfusion to the parasites.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 9 months later...

Rearden had taught himself to assume unearned guilt. So long as he gave the parasites his silent sanction and accepted their guilt, he couldn't realize the nature or cause of his burdens.

Dagny thought that she could single handedly save her railroad and took some time to realize why she shouldn't.

Both flaws stemmed from their egos distorting their cognition.

I never thought of Miss Taggart as a scab. At some point during my first reading of “Atlas Shrugged” which was soon after I first read, “The Fountainhead,” I stopped confusing the characters of Howard Roark and Dominique Francon with Hank Reardon and Dagny Taggert. Dommy is definitely not as likeable as Dagny but I think there are enormous similarities between the distinctly similar characters of Howard Roark and John Galt. To me, Dagny, Francisco and Hank were the heroes of Atlas Shrugged and John Galt seemed to be an abstract, more distant, super hero. Perhaps Andrew Lloyd Webber will write a song who’s lyrics read, “John Galt . . . . John Galt . . . . Superstar,” because John Galt reminded me of the myth of Jesus.

Peter

I never thought of Miss Taggart as a scab. At some point during my first reading of “Atlas Shrugged” which was soon after I first read, “The Fountainhead,” I stopped confusing the characters of Howard Roark and Dominique Francon with Hank Reardon and Dagny Taggert. Dommy is definitely not as likeable as Dagny but I think there are enormous similarities between the distinctly similar characters of Howard Roark and John Galt. To me, Dagny, Francisco and Hank were the heroes of Atlas Shrugged and John Galt seemed to be an abstract, more distant, super hero. Perhaps Andrew Lloyd Webber will write a song who’s lyrics read, “John Galt . . . . John Galt . . . . Superstar,” because John Galt reminded me of the myth of Jesus.

Peter

That literary connection between Ayn Rand and Christianity was not lost on me... for she did that myth proper justice. There's always a reason when a myth could be so durable as to be able to persist in so many widely varied forms for thousands of years..

Greg

Religion is mythology. If certain religious beliefs are widely held in otherwise normal people who are also in touch with reality they, the delusions are considered to be part of the culture and the people who hold them, and pass them on to their children, are not considered to be psychotic. Not all of them are willing to take a fresh look at those beliefs but some are and it is a good thing that Objectivism exists for those who are open to listening to reason.

It is curious that the Inquisitors when invited by Galileo to look through his telescope refused saying that the telescope is an instrument of the Devil.

Before setting the stake on fire, Giordano Bruno was asked if he would recant his belief that the sun was the center of the solar system. If he had recanted he would have been garroted to death before being burned. Instead he refused saying "I would rather live a spirited life than die a cowardly death!" He remained silent as the stake was set on fire.

How I wish that the German businessmen who created the armaments used by Hitler had instead destroyed their factories.

What now? Is Ted Cruz a hero for not budging on the Obamacare thing?

Will the GOP disintegrate because of their unprincipled pragmatism?

gg

Will the GOP disintegrate because of their unprincipled pragmatism?

Are believing that it is disintegrating?

A...

Religion is mythology. If certain religious beliefs are widely held in otherwise normal people who are also in touch with reality they, the delusions are considered to be part of the culture and the people who hold them, and pass them on to their children, are not considered to be psychotic.

Sorry, I didn't mean to elicit the usual well worn laundry list of atheists' complaints dredged up from the dead past. My comment was that Ayn Rand picked an especially durable myth to integrate into Atlas Shrugged that added real depth and texture to her novel and greatly enhanced the impact of her message.

Greg

Religion is mythology. If certain religious beliefs are widely held in otherwise normal people who are also in touch with reality they, the delusions are considered to be part of the culture and the people who hold them, and pass them on to their children, are not considered to be psychotic.

Sorry, I didn't mean to elicit the usual well worn laundry list of atheists' complaints dredged up from the dead past. My comment was that Ayn Rand picked an especially durable myth to integrate into Atlas Shrugged that added real depth and texture to her novel and greatly enhanced the impact of her message.

Greg

What was the durable myth?

Greg

What was the durable myth?

Peter Taylor had referred to it in his post:

To me, Dagny, Francisco and Hank were the heroes of Atlas Shrugged and John Galt seemed to be an abstract, more distant, super hero. Perhaps Andrew Lloyd Webber will write a song who’s lyrics read, “John Galt . . . . John Galt . . . . Superstar,” because John Galt reminded me of the myth of Jesus.

Peter

How I wish that the German businessmen who created the armaments used by Hitler had instead destroyed their factories.

Why should they have? When Hitler came to power, Friedrich Krupp AG was Germany's largest manufacturer of steel, armaments and ammunition and had a 400-year history of selling weapons to German governments. These merchants of death were only too happy to do business with the Fuhrer. The family heir Alfried joined the SS even before Hitler came to power and greedily accepted offers to seize factories in occupied lands and to use Jews as slave laborers.

Hitler and the Third Reich died, but Krupp lives on.