*Veterans Health Administration Update VA News Releases

Backlighting

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every morning, former Air Force senior airman Amy Rising makes breakfast for her second-grader, drives him to school and returns home to prepare what she calls her medicine.

She suffers from severe anxiety after four years working in the frenetic global command center at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, coordinating bombings and other missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Rising says she has found a treatment that helps her cope. But her local Veterans Affairs hospital does not provide it — because her medicine is a joint.

At a time when the legalized use of marijuana is gaining greater acceptance across the country, Rising is among a growing number of veterans who are coming out of the “cannabis closet” and pressing the government to recognize pot as a legitimate treatment for the wounds of war. They say it is effective for addressing various physical and psychological conditions related to military service — from chronic back pain and neuropathic issues to panic attacks and insomnia — and often preferable to widely prescribed opioid painkillers and other drugs.

Researchers in the United States and several other countries have found evidence that cannabis can help treat post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and pain, although studies — for instance, looking into the best strains and proper dosages — remain in the early stages.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/more-veterans-press-va-to-recognize-medical-marijuana-as-treatment-option/2014/11/15/51666986-6a7b-11e4-b053-65cea7903f2e_story.html

Wow! They cut the four (4) month fucking wait time on serious cases from 120,000 to 23,000...big deal where are the indictments? Is President O'bama still mad?

The VA has made some progress in dealing with the backlog of cases that forced former secretary Eric Shinseki to retire early this year. For instance, the VA substantially cut the overall number of worst-case scenarios for veterans — those who had waited more than four months for an appointment. That figure dropped from 120,000 in May to 23,000 in October. Much of that improvement occurred because patients received care from private providers.

Since May, the VA has been reduced the number of veterans waiting longest for care — its top priority — by 57%, according to James Hutton, a VA spokesman. From June to September, the VA completed 19 million appointments, an increase of 1.2 million compared with the same time last year.

Incredible that more than 180 days were needed to perform this poorly.

I would have brought in portable examination trailers and worked seven (7) days a week, 24/7 with per diem nurses, technicians, doctors and school interns and paid these folks top dollar with incentives.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/11/16/long-wait-times-persist-at-many-va-hospitals/19033789/

My uncle who died last March was at Pearl Harbor that day. He ran for his B-17. It blew up in front of him. There's an iconic photo of the plane wreckage, but I'm not quite sure if it's the actual plane. I'll be finding out next year from his attorney friend.

--Brant

an iconic photo; THE iconic photo is of the Arizona

Wow he lived within 1.5 miles of where I was raised in Fresh Meadows!

175th Place...

And I knew some Berkowitzs.

A...

Here's an emerging technology I'm considering for back issues I have... Just want to pass this on. Incredible stuff. Sure seems to beat open surgery.

Since it's relatively new there are not many facilities set up for it or doctors trained in the use of laser.

I did find one that has a center in Scottsdale. Here's one that's worth a look.

http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/

Apparently the President's "support" amongst the military is down to 15% - Gallop Poll I think.

Apparently the President's "support" amongst the military is down to 15% - Gallop Poll I think.

Seen any stats as to the ethnic breakdown of those 15%?

Seen any stats as to the ethnic breakdown of those 15%?

Whoa!!

This was done by the Military Times as part of a series apparently.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2014/12/21/americas-military-a-conservative-militarys-cultural-evolution/18959975/?fullsite=true

• 2 weeks later...

This appeared in Stars and Stripes.

With his wife and child close at hand, Army Maj. Chad Wriglesworth battled skin cancer for more than a year before dying at age 37.

"It was long and painful and awful," said Aimee Wriglesworth, who believes the cancer resulted from exposure to toxic fumes in Iraq. Yet the 28-year-old widow from Bristow, Virginia, seized a chance to recount the ordeal and its aftermath to a researcher, hoping that input from her and her 6-year-old daughter might be useful to other grieving military families.

"To be able to study what we felt and what we're going through - maybe this will help people down the line," Wriglesworth said.

http://www.stripes.com/news/military-families-in-largest-ever-bereavement-study-share-insights-on-grief-1.321744

Now this is an interesting story...

Dario Raschio is a hero. He is a man who served his nation with bravery some 70+ years ago, and he's waited a very long time to be recognized for that bravery. On Saturday, the 100-year old man was being honored at an event put together by the office of Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR).

Senator Wyden of Oregon was to honor this 100 year old WW II vet with a medal ceremony honoring his service.

Before the event Mr. Raschio told local news affiliates that, "I feel I'm no hero. I don't accept it as being a hero. I accept it as being a part of my job."

He was being awarded with a handful of important service medals at the opening scene at a Wyden town hall event…

He was awarded the U.S. Naval Aviator Badge, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, the World War II Victory medal, the American Defense Service Medal, the "Ruptured Duck" award and the U.S. Navy Honorable discharge pin.

He was also given a flag flown over the U.S Capitol…

Now what could possibly go wrong with a wonderful event like this?

Shortly after Wyden began speaking, though, protesters erupted in the back of the room, shouting "hands-up, don't shoot!" More than 100 pushed through the doors, banged on the windows from outside and hoisted signs.

Raschio and his daughter, Pam Brown of Portland, had a front-row seat to the spectacle. Raschio's smile faded.

Then...

A town hall meeting with U.S. Sen Ron Wyden was called off Saturday afternoon when "hands up, don't shoot" protests broke out.

The event, at Portland Community College's Southeast Campus, was canceled after 45 minutes.

More than 100 protestors entered the Wyden event shortly after 2:30 p.m. shouting, "I can't breathe" and "hands up, don't shoot."

Wyden, D-Oregon, stepped away from the microphone as the protesters moved to the front of the meeting area and continued shouting and holding placards.

Attendees of the event started to get frustrated. Some began confronting the protesters, urging them to stop.

Wyden persuaded the protesters to be silent, briefly, promising he would allow them to air their concerns early in the event. They were silent as Wyden awarded medals for heroism during World War II to 100-year-old Navy veteran Dario Raschio.

After accepting his awards, Raschio addressed the protesters, saying, "These people who are here for a cause, whatever it might be -- show respect to Senator Wyden," to which the crowd burst into applause.

So these marxists and their "fellow travellers**" keep pushing into the "system."

http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/01/100-year-old-wwii-hero-blasts-unruly-hands-dont-shoot-protesters-medal-ceremony-show-little-respect/

A...

**A fellow traveller, spelt "fellow traveler" in US English, is a person who sympathizes with the beliefs of an organization or cooperates in its activities without maintaining formal membership in that particular group. The term was first used in the early Soviet Union to characterize writers and artists sympathetic to the goals of the Russian Revolution who declined to join the Communist Party. The English-language phrase came into vogue in the United States during the 1940s and 1950s as a pejorative term for a sympathizer of Communism who was nonetheless not an official or "card-carrying member" of a Communist party. In other languages the comparable terms are compagnon de route, sympathisant or progressists in French; Weggenosse or (more generally) Sympathisant in German; and compagno di viaggio in Italian.[1] Often they lent their names and prestige to Communist front organizations.

This is an interesting comparison...the time variable might make it less impactful.