Old Nick's Guide to Happiness

I hadn't heard of this book until now, and I was just checking out the website and noticed something odd: There's a review from a "Daunce Lynman", and there's a reader's comment from Carol Jane Stuart. Is this a case of double dipping? Busted!

I hadn't heard of this book until now, and I was just checking out the website and noticed something odd: There's a review from a "Daunce Lynman", and there's a reader's comment from Carol Jane Stuart. Is this a case of double dipping? Busted!

I just saw that, but it's doubtful that Nick would have known. Who's to say? But it's a great book all the same.

~ Shane

I just saw that, but it's doubtful that Nick would have known. Who's to say? But it's a great book all the same.

~ Shane

9th Dr Holmes strikes again.

I offered the comments and review for Nick to use to best marketing advantage on the website. He excerpted from them as you see. Any double dipping was at my urging.

I'd like to reprint the whole review, but it seems to have vanished from my email. It started with a quote, "Boxing led me to philosophy. You bash him and he bashes you, and after a while you start to wonder, what's it all for?"

It’s not a big deal to my mind at all. It does make me wonder, though, how long have you been using this pseudonym? I thought you’d invented it just for OL, and that you were new to the online world. And that Rand-land was new to you also.

It’s not a big deal to my mind at all. It does make me wonder, though, how long have you been using this pseudonym? I thought you’d invented it just for OL, and that you were new to the online world. And that Rand-land was new to you also.

I invented daunce in fact to use for the review; I never used it again until I got a computer and came online, which is 7 months ago now. Rand I knew about before (mainly through Nick who is an old friend)but Randland I only had a vague idea of , but got interested in as I have mentioned here elsewhere. So I came online. I was not computer illiterate before, but only used it for email, at the library and so on.

Nick's a gentleman for sure. I started corresponding with him a few years ago when Michael posted his site/address on OL. In reading the thread, I was interested in reading the book and contacted Nick to arrange for copy. I would read a few chapters and shoot him an e-mail on my progress and what my take-aways were. In reading the book, being relatively new to Objectivism, I felt like I was a ghostly character sitting in on the teachings of Nikolai. It was very informative and easy to take in. I actually liked Lindsay Perigo's assertion about the new learning something and the older getting a refresher (please don't boot me Michael...haha!)

I'm looking forward to seeing his next project!

BTW, Daunce, he actually put my short quip in the readers' review section as well (3rd one down). :)

~ Shane

Nick's a gentleman for sure. I started corresponding with him a few years ago when Michael posted his site/address on OL. In reading the thread, I was interested in reading the book and contacted Nick to arrange for copy. I would read a few chapters and shoot him an e-mail on my progress and what my take-aways were. In reading the book, being relatively new to Objectivism, I felt like I was a ghostly character sitting in on the teachings of Nikolai. It was very informative and easy to take in. I actually liked Lindsay Perigo's assertion about the new learning something and the older getting a refresher (please don't boot me Michael...haha!)

BTW, Daunce, he actually put my short quip in the readers' review section as well (3rd one down). :)

~ Shane

Shane,

He is indeed a gentleman. If anyone had to pick out a stereotypical anarcho-capitalist out of a lineup, they would definitely not pick him.

(I know that stereotypical anarchocapitalist is a contradiction in terms, but the people looking at the lineup might not know that).

Carol

~ Shane

Shane,

He is indeed a gentleman. If anyone had to pick out a stereotypical anarcho-capitalist out of a lineup, they would definitely not pick him.

(I know that stereotypical anarchocapitalist is a contradiction in terms, but the people looking at the lineup might not know that).

Carol

Right?

I especially liked the way he addressed the changeover in the UK govt' going to anarchistic. But I gathered his spin wasn't the hardline anarchism, rather a return back to common law. There was a lot I agreed with. I find it difficult to see it pulled off, nice as it might be. However, Nikolai's property in the US was a perfect starting point for him to do just that, regardless of the world around him. I guess that's all that really matters in the end.

~ Shane

~ Shane

Shane,

Carol

Right?

I especially liked the way he addressed the changeover in the UK govt' going to anarchistic. But I gathered his spin wasn't the hardline anarchism, rather a return back to common law. There was a lot I agreed with. I find it difficult to see it pulled off, nice as it might be. However, Nikolai's property in the US was a perfect starting point for him to do just that, regardless of the world around him. I guess that's all that really matters in the end.

~ Shane

Exactly - he imagined two Galts Gulches, well a Gulch and a bunch of Gullies -supported by his reasoning. He would hate this, but it's sort of sci-fi (or as I said in my review, fantasy-adventure) but

Atlas Shrugged is often found in the sci-fi and fantasy sections in bookstores and libraries, so he's in good company.

• 11 months later...

It is now on Kindle, also two new novels. If you want to see a possible anarcist society you would read Old Nicks Tour to Contentment... I dont know of any comparable attempts to depict it.

• 1 month later...