Dramatic Opinion By Female Family Court Judge Sentences The Three Children To Minor's Jail For Failing To Have Lunch With Their Father

This tiny decision in a small family Court in Michigan is a potentially explosive nationwide because it illustrates the absolute disaster that the government has been in domestic relations, child custody and child "support."

The headline:

Judge orders 'brainwashed' kids to live in juvenile facility for refusing to interact with their dad

A Michigan lawyer has filed a writ of habeas corpus on behalf of three children placed in a juvenile facility by a judge who claimed they had been brainwashed in a case that rivaled the worst example of parental alienation she had ever seen.

Judge Lisa Gorcyca of Oakland County, Michigan, said last month that the children, ages 9, 10 and 15, were in contempt of court because they refused to have a relationship with their father or even to go to lunch with him, report the Daily Tribune, ClickOnDetroit, the Detroit News and MyFox Detroit.

Bloomfield Hills attorney Lisa Stern filed the habeas writ, which is scheduled for a July 15 hearing, the Daily Tribune says. The children’s parents are a pediatric ophthalmologist and a General Motors engineer, the Detroit News reports.

This will be a civil contempt and basically the "keys to the jail cell are in your own hands."

The contempt issue has always been extremely fascinating going back to the Buck Stove case at the turn of the last century. Gompers, Mitchell and a third Mine Union leaders were accused of criminal contempt. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/221/418.html

The line between criminal contempt and and non-criminal contempt as a nexus to the equity of the case.

Civil contempt versus criminal contempt is extremely important today.

Here is the transcript of the hearing and it is powerful.

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/detnews/2015/pdf/showcausehearing_gorcyca.pdf

The June 24 court hearing began with the 15-year-old boy telling Gorcyca he apologized for anything he may have done to the judge but he doesn’t apologize for refusing to talk to his father, according to the transcript (PDF). “He’s violent and he—I saw him hit my mom and I’m not going to talk to him,” the boy said of his father. The youth was represented by a lawyer who said he had explained to him he could communicate with his father in supervised visits or he could be held in contempt and placed in Children’s Village, a juvenile detention facility.

At that point, Gorcyca said she was holding the youth in civil contempt for failing to obey her order to talk with his father. “I ordered you to have a healthy relationship with your father,” she said. “I witnessed your mother at 11:30 tell you very impassionedly that she wants you to talk to your dad, to talk to your dad, that he loves you, that he’s not gonna hurt you, that he’s not gonna hurt her. You are a defiant, contemptuous young man and I’m ordering you to spend the rest of the summer–and we’ll review it when school starts, and you may be going to school there.”

The boy interjected, saying he thought there were rules about not hitting someone.

“I ordered you,” Gorcyca replied. “I will say this again, and apparently you’re—you’re supposed to have a high IQ, which I’m doubting right now because of the way you act. You’re very defiant, you have no manners. … There is no reason why you do not have a relationship with your father. Your father has never been charged with anything. Your father’s never been convicted of anything. Your father doesn’t have a personal protection order against him. Your father is well-liked and loved by the community, his co-workers, his family [and] his colleagues. You, young man, have got it wrong. I think your father is a great man who has gone through hoops for you to have a relationship with you.”

The mother’s lawyer then told the judge that she had complied with the court’s directives and asked the children to speak with the father. Gorcyca replied: “Mother, I appreciate that you did say that. It probably was way too late. Your children—you need to do a research program on Charlie Manson and the cult that he has. Your behavior in the hall with me months ago, your behavior in this courtroom, your behavior back there, is unlike anything I have seen in 46,000 cases.

“You, young man, are the worst one. So you have bought yourself living in Children’s Village, going to the bathroom in public, and maybe summer school.”

Later, Gorcyca questioned the two younger children, who at first indicated they would try to communicate with their father during visits. Both children were also represented by lawyers.

Gorcyca said all three children should start by having lunch with their father in the cafeteria. At that point, the 10-year-old boy said he would go to Children’s Village and the 9-year-old girl said she didn’t want to have lunch with her father.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” Gorcyca said. “One day you can watch this video and realize that you too have been brainwashed. …. Your dad is a good man. And wipe that smirk off your face.”

The 10-year-old tells the judge it’s not a smirk, and she replies, “You’re a defiant, contemptuous young man and the court finds both of you in direct contempt. You both are going to live in Children’s Village.”

Yep, we sure want the government involved in our families lives!!!!

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/judge_orders_brainwashed_kids_to_live_in_juvenile_facility_for_refusing_ord/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_email

Cute Judge...

gorcyca.jpg

Where have all the judges gone?

Long time passing

Long time ago

Gone to ego shit, every one

When will they ever learn?

When will they learn?

--anon (don't want to be found in contempt)

From her remarks it seems the judge should have found the mother in contempt, if anybody. The judge was pissed off at the mother seeing the mother's anti-father influence expressed by the kids

--Brant

From her remarks it seems the judge should have found the mother in contempt, if anybody. The judge was pissed off at the mother seeing the mother's anti-father influence expressed by the kids

--Brant

Were you able to read the transcript of the hearing?

A...

Sure. "The mother's lawyer then told the judge . . . . "

The most frightening was the 9 year old girl.

I saw two (2) boys, happy, intelligent who used stay, on their weekend, at our house with their father.

I would pick them up with my son and their father.

The typical TOPS [Temporary Orders of Protection] were given out in NY City and the surrounding downstate counties, e.g., Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk, ex parte meaning without notice to the other side and without the other side being present.

At any rate, it was a set up and the minute the kids, who had not seen there dad in almost 5 days, saw him waiting on the sidewalk with my son and I, they yelled dad and came charging up to hug him.

He took the instinctual step forward and opened his arms and his foot hit the asphalt of the driveway. The wife called the police and he was arrested and the kids screaming, forced into the house.

I knew a few of the cops and one Sgt. walked my son down the block while I gave all the information to the other officers. My son was six and the image of this 6' 5" officer, with his arm around my son's shoulder as he hunched down to explain that adults sometimes can't control themselves and they do foolish things is etched forever in my soul.

We filed a writ and about 5 days later we had the hearing in Supreme Court and my son testified from my knee in this huge courtroom and did a great job.

The 2 boys had been in a facility that dealt with the "victims of domestic violence." They were brought there by the mother.

When they came into Court with their law guardians they looked like folks that had been in POW camps. Heads down, no eye contact even with my son and he looked up at me and asked loud enough for the Judge to hear...what did they do to ____ and ___?

He never saw his friends again, nor did his father.

A...

I don't understand what happened here. Mom and Dad separated, Dad gets visitation and the kids refuse to see him? The oldest kid says because the Dad hit Mom, the judge says the Dad wasn't convicted so the kids are in contempt. Seems like over reach. Don't kids have any rights? The judge says "dads a nice guy", the kids don't agree. Freedom of disassociation. Not saying moms not a raving lunatic...

Institutionalizing the kids for years is a crime in itself, even if mom is a lunatic.

I don't understand what happened here. Mom and Dad separated, Dad gets visitation and the kids refuse to see him? The oldest kid says because the Dad hit Mom, the judge says the Dad wasn't convicted so the kids are in contempt. Seems like over reach. Don't kids have any rights? The judge says "dads a nice guy", the kids don't agree. Freedom of disassociation. Not saying moms not a raving lunatic...

Institutionalizing the kids for years is a crime in itself, even if mom is a lunatic.

First, do you have any children?

Apparently, this has been going on for over five (5) years.

If you are not familiar with Parent Alienation, I refer you to Dr. Richard Gardner, N.J. who developed the concept.

Richard Alan Gardner (April 28, 1931 – May 25, 2003) was an American psychiatrist known for researching parental alienation syndrome (PAS), widely understood to describe when parents with children divorce, one parent (usually the custodial parent) purposely alienates the child or children from the non-custodial parent. According to Gardner's early research, and later corroborated by others, the alienating parent attempts to damage or sever the child's relationship with the non-custodial parent. Gardner researched the PAS phenomenon through personal observation in his private practice to explain what he considered to be an epidemic of false accusations of child sexual abuse. In addition to his practice, Gardner held a fully credentialed position as a clinical professor of psychiatry in Columbia University's division of child and adolescent psychiatry. Over the course of his career he published more than 40 books and 250 articles in a variety of areas of child psychiatry and operated a company, Creative Therapeutics, Inc., that marketed materials based on his theories. Gardner testified as an expert witness in many of custody cases in the USA.[2] Gardner committed suicide in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Gardner

Damn, did not know about the suicide in 2003.

We worked closely with him in the mid '80's and early '90's.

This is a sickness that destroys children.

I am sure you have heard of Munchhausen's syndrome. This is just as destructive.

I would always explain to client's what Ayn said about a mother bird.

She would say picture a mother bird who was taking her fledglings out of the nest and moving them to the end of the branch and then breaking their wings which were their main survival mechanism and pushing them out into the world.

What would you think of that mother bird?

Typical reaction would be horror.

I would explain that this was what they were doing to their child's minds with the poison about their father/mother injected into the their mind.

A...

I believe Roslyn Ross would say the kids are being treated like lab rats. Still hard to sort out, I don't yet see the evidence the mom is a monster except the judge doesn't like her. I have been in "the system" as a child, my mom was imprisoned, committed suicide when she got out. My mom, with all her faults and alcoholism was a far better parent than any orphanage or foster home. I felt loved at home, dogs in a kennel are loved far more than kids in an institution in my experience. The courts treated my dad like shit, he desperately wanted to take care of us, they took us from him. He served honorably in WWII and Korea and was career army infantry, then Air Force (after losing his toes to frostbite in Korea). He was treated like a criminal by the state of Ohio.

I recommend Roslyn Ross's book very highly. I think it's the best book on raising humans ever written, only not if your only interest is raising lab rats.

It seems to be a derivative result of the left's assault on the family, which started, practically speaking, with LBJ's "Great Society" and the underwriting of Dad not being married, just going around knocking up chicks. So Big Daddy Government just keeps getting bigger and bigger like a North Carolina feral hog and the goons gotta do something so they go gooning.

--Brant

that judge wants her authority respected, just another everything's about me, me, me

It seems to be a derivative result of the left's assault on the family, which started, practically speaking, with LBJ's "Great Society" and the underwriting of Dad not being married, just going around knocking up chicks. So Big Daddy Government just keeps getting bigger and bigger like a North Carolina feral hog and the goons gotta do something so they go gooning.

--Brant

that judge wants her authority respected, just another everything's about me, me, me

Correct.

First real disaster was the creation of the concept of child support.

This led to the ability of political lawyers being called, for example in NY State, "Hearing Examiners," nice innocent term.

This political appointee/elected [depends on the jurisdictions] were able to "impute income."

Additionally, money followed the children.

The tax code then piles on and makes child support payments with post taxed dollars and arrives at the custodial parent's bank account income tax free.

You do the math.

This system became one of the largest money makers in the US.

Paternity testing with labs and doctors. Forensic therapists. Psychiatrists. Supervised visitation centers.

VAWA. Anger Management programs that the Court orders the person to attend.

Law guardians.

And that does not even scratch the surface.

A...

I believe Roslyn Ross would say the kids are being treated like lab rats. ... I have been in "the system" as a child, my mom was imprisoned, committed suicide when she got out. My mom, with all her faults and alcoholism was a far better parent than any orphanage or foster home. I felt loved at home, dogs in a kennel are loved far more than kids in an institution in my experience. The courts treated my dad like shit, he desperately wanted to take care of us, they took us from him. He served honorably in WWII and Korea and was career army infantry, then Air Force (after losing his toes to frostbite in Korea). He was treated like a criminal by the state of Ohio.

Sorry you had to experience this nightmare first hand.

This Judge looks like she is attempting to prevent a psychotic explosion from the leader of that pack.

Of course she will not be able to do that.

In fact, I think these young folks will more than likely emerge from that cesspool as savage psychotics.

Seems the oldest is already there.

A...

She backed down.

This reminds me of the recent Woody Allen stories: the mother is definitely a wackadoodle, but she might be telling the truth no less for that.

I had no doubt that she would.

I love the statement in the AP report about protecting the families name when it is in the damn transcript that was released.

I am quite surprised that that transcript was available to the public.

A...

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting a bad "smell" from this case.

Apparently, according to the local paper, a status hearing today.

There is more information in the story, including a picture of Maya and her "posse:"

Based on court documents, all of the rancor and animosity in the case appears to stem from an incident at a West Bloomfield park in August of 2010.

A scheduled visit with their father devolved into two of the children being locked in a car to protect themselves from him. The third child avoided him while perched atop a piece of playground equipment and later claimed that the father threatened to kill him if he did not get down.

Police reports were filed after one of the children called 911 from inside the car and their mother claimed that the father struck her outside of the vehicle.

A West Bloomfield police report found no probable cause to make an arrest at the time, but the father later admitted that he took his son down by force in order to put him in a time-out.

Reports throughout the case files claim that that incident, along with the fact that the children felt abandoned when their father took a job with General Motors in Israel in late 2009, are at the heart of the children’s fear and animosity toward their father that the courts have been trying to rectify for the past four years.

Ms. Tsimhoni filed for divorce in December of 2009.

Multiple supervisors, visitation sites, communication alternatives and therapists have rotated in and out of the case since then and left Gorcyca frustrated.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/OP/20150713/NEWS/150719855/AR/0/AR-150719855.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Take a close look at Maya's hands.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20150713/gorcyca-parental-alienation-is-issue-in-bloomfield-hills-divorce-case

A...

"

Murray Davis, Board President of the National Family Justice Association Midwest Office in Southfield, does advocate for the use of the term.

“Court records appear to indicate the children are the victims of tenacious parental alienation against their father by their mother,” he said in a statement.

Davis is also one of the few who stood by the decision to temporarily take the children away from not one, but both parents.

"

My guess is this is the guy that needs to be locked up. "Court records..." indeed. POS.

This is the "Progressive," aka marxist Dewey who influenced three straight generation in "education."

He demanded that we create the "common child."

We needed to separate the child from his family, his God/religion and his country.

Most Objectivists would be in favor of this in a "utopian" dream.

Well, welcome to the party.

A...

This is the "Progressive," aka marxist Dewey who influenced three straight generation in "education."

We needed to separate the child from his family, his God/religion and his country.

A...

Not anyone I would call an objectivist.

A...

Not anyone I would call an objectivist.

That was a bit over the top.

What I meant is that almost all of the characters in Atlas are childless.

There is the one reference to motherhood by the woman at the Gulch.

Also, in the NBI group, only pope-smiley-emoticon.gifPope Peikoff has any children...boy what weird Karma that calls up.

So that was what drove that part of the post.

A...

I'm sorry Adam. I'm still confused.

One of the downsides of this medium.

You called the "expert" a POS for advocating taking the children away from both parents, or, am I incorrect?

You called the "expert" a POS for advocating taking the children away from both parents, or, am I incorrect?

Yes, correct. And your reply about the marxist Dewey wanting to remove children from their parents influence I thought was in reference to this pos. Then I completely misunderstood lumping most objectivists into the same category of wanting to remove children from their parents, presumably to raise by the state. I didn't think you could possibly mean that.

I admired the judge for not following through on her judgement. In the end she thought it was wrong and couldn't follow through regardless of her anger. pos had no such problems.

Yes, correct. And your reply about the marxist Dewey wanting to remove children from their parents influence I thought was in reference to this pos. Then I completely misunderstood lumping most objectivists into the same category of wanting to remove children from their parents, presumably to raise by the state. I didn't think you could possibly mean that.

I admired the judge for not following through on her judgement. In the end she thought it was wrong and couldn't follow through regardless of her anger. pos had no such problems.

Ah, OK. Got it.

Sometimes I do jump around on the issue of the family and the "official" Objectivist position which is certainly not clear to me.

Did you notice Maya's hands in that photo?

I would also like to see a photo of the father also.

Any guess as to these folks religion and country of origin?

I am now getting interested in this matter from a number of angles.

A...

"Did you notice Maya's hands in that photo?"

Her left hand looks emaciated, almost skeletal. The fingers don't appear to line up right. I wonder if she has use of that hand. Perhaps she's holding it to make it look more normal. I may be reading too much into a low resolution picture. I would not have given it much thought if you hadn't drawn attention to it.