Atlas Shrugged Part III Greenlighted

9thdoctor

http://www.forbes.com/sites/billfrezza/2013/02/06/atlas-shrugged-producer-shares-insights-and-a-surprse-that-awaits-in-atlas-iii/

According to this interview with John Aglialoro, Part III is going ahead as planned. There's a little detail buried in there that seems designed to get tongues wagging, but doesn't strike me as a big deal at all. Aglialoro says there will be a scene that's not in the book, where Dagny goes into St. Patrick's, which is of course across the street from the Atlas statue in Rockefeller Center, and a priest talks to her. Shrug.

A concern I have is how they're going to do the adaptation, especially "Act I". In the book Part III starts in the valley, and there's not much in the way of action for quite a while. I'm afraid audience interest will sink like a stone for lack of tension.

Hasn't Atlas Shrugged Part II flopped at the box even more than Part I? .

I fear the worst for Part III, which is the most difficult to film anyway. How for example will Galt's Gulch full of happy people look on screen?

Imo the novel AS cannot be made into a convincing film at all, no matter how high the budget would be.

But I'm fascinated by Agliaro's unwavering willingess to carry on.

You don't get it. We have seen every Pride and Prejudice made and we own three of them. I bought my wife and myself the latest Marvel comics edition of Northanger Abbey, both of which now sit in plastic with backboards. We just bought Season 1 and Season 2 of NUMB3RS. We have incomplete runs of early NCIS. We own all seven seasons of The West Wing. Have you ever seen Gary Cooper as a supporting actor in Wings? It was a Howard Hughes movie and it has Poncho Barnes as an extra. I am not a real movie person. I do not know the movies made by Francis Ford Coppola or Oliver Stone. It did happen than that when we were watching Caprica, I saw Francisco d'Anconia. But for all my ignorance about film, I "get" it. It is a culture. Objectivism is a culture, also. Ayn Rand is a cultural icon. The last presidential election must have proved that. Even Al Sharpton needs to mention her.

John Aglialoro is making history - and making a place for himself in history. This will be the first Atlas Shrugged, but not the last. Miners in the Kuiper Belt will see a new one -- and tell Terra Actual to frak itself for its taxes. Between now and then, maybe three to five will be produced.

In our time, criticizing this production of Atlas Shrugged as if you could do better is called illusory superiority, The Greeks called it hybris.

Yes, Rand is a cultural icon. But she was no Austen. And Aglialaro is making history, but for the moviegoer it is a history-making that in Austen's words should have "better not been attempted, perhaps".

I couldn't agree more, Carol .

• 11 months later...

The cast for Part 3 was just announced. Below is the press release, I can't imagine anyone objecting to simply copying and posting it here:

http://blog.atlasshruggedmovie.com/2014/01/atlas-shrugged-part-iii-goes-into.html

Atlas Distribution Company announced today that "Atlas Shrugged: Who is John Galt?" went into production on Monday, January 20th. The movie's release is slated for September 2014.

The movie trilogy follows the three-part structure of Ayn Rand's 1957 novel, "Atlas Shrugged." The dystopian story takes place in a not-so-distant future with the nation's economy approaching collapse. While overreaching government regulations persist in strangling the country's few remaining entrepreneurs, society's most productive have mysteriously disappeared.

At the helm of Part 3 will be seasoned award-winning Director Jim Manera who will be accompanied by Cinematographer, Gale Tattersal who previously worked as Director of Photography on Hugh Lowry's House M.D. as well as Tom Hank's From Earth to the Moon.

"It's very fulfilling for all us to be finishing the trilogy. Atlas Shrugged has impacted so many lives and were extremely proud to be bringing the final installment to the screen. The team we've assembled is nothing short of stellar. Part 3 is without question going to be the best of the trilogy." said Producer John Aglialoro.

Atlas Distribution Company also announced today that the much anticipated role of John Galt will go to Kristoffer Polaha, an accomplished actor who, prior to working on Atlas, was profoundly influenced by Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead." Kris has been in a variety of television shows including Ringer (CW), alongside Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Life Unexpected (CW). He will next be seen in a regular role alongside Rainn Wilson in Fox's new show, Backstrom. His feature credits include a supporting role in Devil's Knot, opposite Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth.

The role of Dagny Taggart, heroine COO of Taggart Transcontinental, will be played by Laura Regan who has appeared in the AMC hit Mad Men as well as the movie Unbreakable with Bruce Willis.

Producer Harmon Kaslow said, "We've always known that finding the right actor to play John Galt was going to be a huge challenge, but as soon as Kris walked in the room and said 'Hello', we knew we found him. Kris is John Galt. We couldn't be more pleased. Laura and Kris already have great chemistry together. Atlas fans everywhere are going to be blown away."

Rounding out the cast of "Atlas Shrugged" heroes are acclaimed actors Joaquim de Almedia as Francisco d'Anconia, Eric Allen Kramer as Ragnar Danneskjöld, and Rob Morrow as Hank Rearden, as well as a host of other veteran actors.

Dagny (imdb)

Plausible.

Very plausible.

Howevver, she cannot wear Lillian's Empire dresses!

190px-Dancing-Dress-1809.jpg
I have always disliked this style for women...I think only Klinger looked good in it.
264px-Merry-Joseph_Blondel_-_Felicite-Lo

As I've written before, the Atlas films are dreadful not for lack of big money but for lack of artistic integrity. Nothing up on the screen shows an emotional connection with the source material. There are actors who answer to the same names as Rand's characters, but they are distressingly ordinary in appearance and manner. Where is the man who walks as if he's wearing a cape?

Yes, Atlas (the book) is over-long and at times didactic in the worst way. But it has a consistency, a thoroughly unique vision of how life on earth may have turned out. The world of Atlas is distinctively Rand's world.

Perhaps it shouldn't be filmed because it can so easily be mishandled and discredit the novel. But Atlas is anything but unfilmable. A lifelong movie fan, Rand had a cinematic eye and a gift for punchy dialogue. Any intelligent filmmaker who reads the book and not a synopsis of it should have a clear idea of what to do.

The ersatz Atlas that we've been delivered is devoid of mystery, style, grandeur and narrative power. The only part of the novel that Aglialoro and his team of amateurs have gotten right is the spelling of the title.

Yet the number of Rand's admirers who lap up this dreck is appalling.

If anyone needs proof that two people can look at the same object and perceive totally different things--this is it.

But Atlas is anything but unfilmable. A lifelong movie fan, Rand had a cinematic eye and a gift for punchy dialogue. Any intelligent filmmaker who reads the book and not a synopsis of it should have a clear idea of what to do.

FF:

What was your evaluation of the movie production of The Fountainhead?

A...

I really like the Atlas Shrugged movies and the fact they exist.

I used to be a sophisticated Rand admirer.

Now I'm one who laps up dreck.

I'm appalling, I am.

I sure am.

:)

(But then again, I claim AS is a not satire, so what do I know? :) Maybe if Rand's magnum opus were filmed as a satire it would satisfy the disheartened... :) )

Michael

Dagny (imdb)

Never liked the anorexia look. She needs some carbs.

I'd gladly buy her a ticket to a buffet.

That poor women is a stick figure. You are right. She needs just a little fattening up. I prefer ladies who are minimally saftig.

Dagny (imdb)

That poor women is a stick figure. You are right. She needs just a little fattening up. I prefer ladies who are minimally saftig.

The classical; pear-shaped woman? The hour glass woman?

I am amazed at how tough it must be to be a woman today.

This website goes through their different body shapes, clothes and a nice presentation:

You are here:

1. Home
  2. Body Shapes
  • body-shape-320x180.jpg
    Finding Our Your Body Shape

More typically (and also in true form) most women are unhappy with some part of their body shape or size, and would love to change the way they look. At an extreme the unhappiness can result in hiding under baggy and ill fitting clothes and also wearing dark and dull colours to disappear into the […]

Posted in:
  • apple-figures-320x180.jpg

http://www.look-fabulous.com/work-category/body-shapes/

A...

This article is entitled "Renaissance to Runway: Body Shapes Over The Ages," which caught my attention.

Hollywood hotties?

mona_ang.jpg
The last time we saw a full-figured woman idealized and glamorized was in the 15th century. And Marilyn Monroe, Miss Size 16 (today’s size 8), surely does not count, because—although inarguably curvy—she was as teeny as they came back then.

Look at Botticelli’s Primavera, Leonardo’s Mona Lisa, or Titian’s Venus of Urbino—these 14th- and 15th-century paintings represented the respected—even glorified—image of women of early times: thick thighs, round stomach, modest breasts. All very real and quite the contrast from today’s ideals. Do you think women back then were beating themselves up to be like the image of the Greek goddess Venus? Maybe they would just simply eat more? (Now that sounds like a happy world to me.)

Let’s fast-forward to the Victorian era and see how the "ideal" woman's body has changed throughout the years…

http://www.ivillage.com/renaissance-runway-body-shapes-over-ages/4-a-106826

This article is fascinating to me.

I would enjoy hearing what our resident art history OLers think of it.

What form of women’s body shape was preferred in medieval Europe?
Submitted by Admin on Thu, 03/06/2008 - 16:09

One point that has repeatedly come up in this site’s criticism is that beauty standards fluctuate greatly, an alleged example being that overweight women were preferred in medieval Europe. Just about everyone points out Peter Paul Rubens’ paintings featuring obese women. What did medieval Europeans prefer in women’s looks?

There are no controlled laboratory studies from medieval Europe to help answer the question. So people look at art. However, when Christianity took control of Europe, artistic creativity and output went down the drain. The little art that could flourish had to depict Biblical themes. So the available art mostly is from the Renaissance onward. Haven’t those who keep bringing up Rubens heard of other artists? Here is a famous painting by Sandro Botticelli.

venus.botticelli.s.jpg

The birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli (Florence; painted 1482–1486).

Botticelli’s Venus isn’t overweight or obese. Next, look at some of the artwork of Lucas Cranach the Elder.

lucas.cranach.the.elder.s.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Adam and Eve in paradise, Venus, and two versions of
The Judgment of Paris
by Lucas Cranach the Elder (Saxony; lived 1472–1553).

What does Cranach’s artwork tell us about his preferences or those of his times? Note the overweight Eve, the girlish torso of Venus, and Hera, Athena and Aphrodite all shown as slender women. How do we know whether his painted women represented his preferences or those of his people/times? Next, consider some paintings by Peter Paul Rubens.

http://www.femininebeauty.info/medieval-body-size-preferences

In the comment section, an individual points out the following:

It looks classy but that's not reality. I prefer nouveau art woman or arther rackham's art , slender tall woman, cute, lovely and smart

here the nouveau and rackham women.

lady.jpg

Ophelia.jpg<<<<<I found this one intruiguing...

gaudi.jpg

Rackham2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I fear the worst for Part III, which is the most difficult to film anyway. How for example will Galt's Gulch full of happy people look on screen?

Imo the novel AS cannot be made into a convincing film at all, no matter how high the budget would be.

Atlas suffers from the "Dune Syndrome". An epic so grand and rich in texture, it is impossible to be contained in film.

No movie could ever compete with the imagination of the reader of a great book. In the light of this, I still enjoy both Dune and Atlas for what they are. :smile:

Greg

Atlas suffers from the "Dune Syndrome". An epic so grand and rich in texture, it is impossible to be contained in film.

No movie could ever compete with the imagination of the reader of a great book. In the light of this, I still enjoy both Dune and Atlas for what they are. :smile:

Greg

Dune, Atlas and LOTR. These books defy a good cinematic adaptation.

Peter Jackson made a mess of LOTR. He created a Franken-Movie with a piece from here sewed together with a piece from there. Despite the fact we got 10 minutes of screen time with Kate Blanchett (she is drop dead gorgeous) I will not forgive Peter Jackson.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I differ. Rand's vision of her fictional world was made crystal clear in her prose. She wrote as if she had the movie camera in mind. Certainly, Atlas is long, and a fair number of characters and scenes (including a certain speech) would have to be cut entirely, even in a 12-hour mini-series. But there are many talented directors who could do it justice.

It's too bad the project landed in the hands of a fitness equipment manufacturer.

Atlas Crunched.

Dagny (imdb)

I think Laura Regan looks the part. That's how I've aways imagined Dagny: very slender and willowy.

But isn't Dagny's haircolor described as brunette in the book?