Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark

Who is Carl Barney?

16 posts in this topic

Carl Barney has been on the board of directors of ARI since 1995 and is ARI’s largest donor.  He also has a past – and a present.  New on ARI Watch:

Who is Carl Barney?

I am always impressed by ARIWatch.  They appear to be consistently dispassionate and factual. My only sense of dismay is all the time and effort that goes into it, when the world holds so many other more interesting and profitable pursuits.  But to each his own, and, with my thanks for the hard work.

I don’t know if syrakusos intended it or just made a poor choice of words but that’s a rather backhanded compliment.  Is a clinician wasting his time by studying a disease?  I once attended a lecture in which the professor more or less said “Leprosy is a beautiful disease. [Pause, realizing that what he’d just said sounded strange.] Clinically speaking.”

Here is something that took a lot of time, that has nothing to do with ARI but which syrakusos might think a waste, see
The Willcutts Report
on the Death of James Forrestal.

My focus right now is on Who is Carl Barney?  so leave the Willcutts Report for another day.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:40 PM, Mark said:

Carl Barney has been on the board of directors of ARI since 1995 and is ARI’s largest donor.  He also has a past – and a present.  New on ARI Watch:

Who is Carl Barney?

Mark,

My God!

That is one of the most damning articles on ARI that I have ever read. For people who are not familiar with the universe of facts and events you cover, it might seem like a walk in the weeds, but for those who do understand, this not only explains a lot of cognitive dissonance about ARI's postures, attitudes and happenings over the years, it also points to the fact that, business-wise (meaning monkey-business-wise :) ), ARI is founded on--and practices--a different set of principles than Rand's. 

Here are a few random observations.

1. The first is your first intriguing footnote:

1  “Ayn Rand” appears with the registered trademark symbol after it in the copyright notice at the bottom of each webpage of the Ayn Rand Institute. However, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office ( website  www.uspto.gov ) has no record of a registration.  Possibly it is registered in another country.

If this is what it looks like it is and not hidden by some arcane bureaucratic regulation or similar, this means anyone can use the name Ayn Rand commercially (except for copyright restrictions). The implications of this are huge if there is no US trademark of her name.

2. I haven't read all the articles you linked to yet, but in short, it looks like Carl Barney was initially funded by running Scientology franchises in the early days before he was drummed out of Scientology as a heretic (suppressive person). And he ran a dressed up loan sharking business on the side. After that, his main source of income came from schools--paid for mostly from the government's student loan racket that artificially inflates college costs. So the money he has donated (and still donates) to ARI--and he is one of its top donors--came from cult fees, outrageous personal loan schemes and a government-backed student loan racket. Why doesn't Mr. Barney sound like a prime mover inventor/producer capitalist to me? :) 

3. I have a Scientology quibble. I have studied this cult as a hobby for years. So when you quoted Hollywood, Satanism, Scientology, and Suicide by Jerry Staton, that kept ringing a bell in my mind, but I had never heard of Jerry Staton. I went to the Amazon listing and lookee lookee what I found in the reader reviews (a one-star bash from one "B. Hensel," who, incidentally is not a pro-Scientology troll):

In spending some time online tonight, reading up on Scientology, I came across Steven Fishman's website (last update 1997). If you don't know, Fishman is pretty much the reason all the OT levels are online these days. Anyway, Fishman's website contains his unpublished book titled (are you ready for this..?) "Hollywood, Scientology, Satanism and Suicide." It's designated as public domain and distribution is encouraged. The clown that claims to have "written" the book being reviewed has copied 99% of it and put his name on it. How sad.

If you ever get a chance to look into Steven Fishman, do so. He's a hoot. A kook and a con. In court, he's seen on video enthusiastically claiming how he would get dizzy in skyscrapers from being able to see through the floors under his feet (which he learned how to do as an upper level OT in Scientology, of course :) ) and a lot of things like that. He even did TV commercials after all that exploiting his kook personality. Anyway, here's his public domain book online for free that Staton published as if he wrote it:

Hollywood, Satanism, Scientology and Suicide: "The Fable"

There is one caveat. Staton could be a pen name for Fishman in which case there is no problem. But just in case this is not the case, I suggest you add a footnote. Also, I wonder if Barney ever met Fishman. Now that would be another hoot. :) 

I will probably have more comments after I dig some more, but congratulations on a fine piece of investigative journalism.

No matter how one looks at it, if all one is doing is looking at the facts, this is a major crack in the integrity of ARI. Anything the Brandens were accused of is chump change compared to this. ARI has to clean this up or eventually lose relevance. 

I'm a little fishy in the big bad O-Land sea, so what I say doesn't mean much. But if I see what I see, owing to you showing what you just showed, others can't help but see it, too.

It might take some time before this story takes on a popular gossip form (only then will it spread like wildfire), but for those who wish to dig and study this stuff (trademarks, Scientology, student loans, etc.), it gets worse the more one learns. 

Michael

The book, and Amazon and Barnes & Noble, give the author as Jerry Staton.  Fishman’s website contains the text of the book, stripped of the cover and title page, and doesn’t say who the author is anywhere else. 

It looks like Staton got his information from the original FACTNet website (since taken over by other people), which like Operation Clambake was devoted to criticizing Co$.  The website collected reports from former Scientologists.  Here is the earliest page (1998) – courtesy the Wayback Machine  (archive.org) – listing Barney (the same entry on Barney occurs through 2011, after which the old website disappeared):

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/19980111073933/http://www.factnet.org/Scientology/suicide1.htm

Here’s the entry on Barney.  (The ????? means that the event is undated.)

????? Bamey, Carl psychosis
Carl Barney went psychotic on the Apollo and was guarded by three other people on the ship. Carl Barney had been made to sit for months doing “blinkless TRs.” One of the periodic extremes Hubbard took no responsibility for. I heard that at one point he was strapped to his chair.

I’ll replace the book with FACTNet since it seems to be the primary source.

Yours is a forthright summary of the main points in “Who is Carl Barney?”  I had to be more circumspect in my language for obvious reasons.

One correction.  You write “he was drummed out of Scientology as a heretic ...”  He was never a heretic.  Quite the contrary, it looks like he was drummed out because he was too successful.  This is a key point.  

A small clarification.  You write  “After that, his main source of income came from schools – paid for mostly from the government's student loan racket that artificially inflates college costs.”  Yes, and to tweeze that apart, government interference in the market gave him two advantages:  (1) The very existence of the students, most of whom were not creditworthy and absent government grants and loans wouldn’t be able to attend his colleges, (2) the inflated price his colleges could command due to those loans.

15 hours ago, Mark said:

... the original FACTNet website (since taken over by other people)...

Mark,

That's not accurate.

FACTNet was set up and run by Lawrence Wollersheim (see here), one of the few people ever to win a lawsuit against Scientology back in the day (his case was in the mid 1980's). That's an interesting story in itself. And he still helps run FACTNet (apparently in addition to being a elderly snowflake doing social justice and climate change). From the Wikipedia link on him:

Wollersheim helped co-found Factnet.org in 1993 to help other victims of cult abuse. Currently he is still a director of Factnet.

But you can check it here, too. FACTNet.org is now part of FACTNet Global, which has several organizations under it. I could not find the list of directors, but go to any of those links (or secondary links) and type Wollersheim in the search field. You will see a ton of articles by him running from the past all the way up to now.

13 hours ago, Mark said:

One correction.  You write “he was drummed out of Scientology as a heretic ...”  He was never a heretic.  Quite the contrary, it looks like he was drummed out because he was too successful.  This is a key point.

LOL...

You don't have to be a heretic to be excommunicated as one. :) In religious terms (don't forget that Scientology is formally a religion), a Suppressive Person is their version of heretic. In political terms, the SP list is like an "enemies list."

(You wouldn't believe what SPs are capable of doing according to the religion. Your mission to enlightenment and immortality as an Operating Thetan is to get invisible cooties--bad thetan spirit thingies that are stuck to you like ticks--off of you. There are gobs of 'em all over your body and nobody can see 'em. Not even Scientologists until they reach upper OT levels. A Suppressive Person is supposed to interfere with you setting the cooties loose. Seriously. That's just one nasty thing SPs do and that's just in this lifetime. You ought to see the other lifetimes. :) Well... Scientologists don't call the bad thetans "cooties." I was using a term coined by a very disgruntled former Scientologist, Arnie Lerma.)

The tragedy of SPs is that they are shunned by all Scientologists. No practicing Scientologist will talk to a person who has been declared an SP because that would risk his "immortal soul" in addition to the church. This shunning includes shunning by the SP's family, friends, business acquaintances, etc. (if they are Scientologists), no matter how many years they have been together.

You are right that Barney was victim of a purge and the issue was money.

This was right after a group of Scientology folks (including Hubbard's wife, Sue) were indicted for infiltrating and spying on the IRS and a bunch of other government agencies (Operation Snow White), so I imagine Hubbard was scared with Barney's murky monkeyshines at Nationwide more than envious. Hubbard was being busted big time by the US government right then. (Well, he did stage the largest known infiltration of the US government in US history, too, so there's that. :) ) As a side note, Hubbard must have made good money from taking over Barney's franchises (with a little strategic maneuvering) because that was in 1979 and in 1982 there was a widescale systemic purge of independent Scientology mission owners. With that purge and takeover of their missions, all the money, not just some of it, started flowing upstream to the top.

I've read a hell of a lot of books about this cult, starting with The Scandal of Scientology by Paulette Cooper (the cover on that link is the kind I bought), which I picked up in an airport bookstore back in the 1970's when I was going to Brazil (or coming, I no longer remember). It caught my eye, so I bought it and read it, then promptly forgot all about Scientology for years. btw - Tony Ortega recently wrote a wonderful bio of Paulette called The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper. Her story is amazing if you like spy novels. :) 

I won't bore you with all the titles, but I have read about 40 or 50 books on this cult, if not more (mostly by people who left it). And I have watched so many hours of video by these folks that I finally realized this was a hobby of mine. :) Also, I have read and heard some of the original Scientology stuff. In fact, you can get a huge amount of digital copies of the older original material at Wikileaks (here). Apropos, wanna see Hubbard himself lecture on video circa 1958-1960? You can here.

I think I am fascinated with Scientology because L Ron Hubbard, in my opinion, came up with the mother of all mindfucks. It's even more fascinating to me that one of the most important financial arms of ARI came from there. As I was going through the links you provided, I noticed in the NYT article that Barney imitates Hubbard's habit of naming a lot of things in his business with acronyms. I bet he imitates many of Hubbard's personal habits. :) 

Michael

Thanks for the correction about FACTNet or whatever it calls itself these days.  Something happened in 2012.  There is a gap in archive.org’s timeline of about a year and half after which the look of the site changed completely and instead of being devoted to Scientology, Scientology became one of several facets.

Factnetglobal.org  describes  factnet.org as  “online education on global warming & social justice issues since 1993.”  However if you go to the factnet.org website itself there’s a section on cults and a (large) subsection on Scientology.  

Good point about Hubbard probably wanting to appear as clean as possible after being indicted.  Were it not for that Barney might not have been purged.

Interesting discovery:  While Barney was head of the Los Angeles missions (and one in San Diego – if the people I quote can be believed), David Miscavige was head of the San Francisco missions.  Miscavige was Hubbard’s second in command and now runs Co$

With the help of a former Scientologist we now have definitive proof that the “Co$ Barney” and the “ARI Barney” are one and the same.  I’ve beefed up the Barney article with the new information.  

If you don’t have the time or inclination to read it again, the coup de grâce is the photographic evidence at the end of the last footnote. (Later I may move it from the footnote to the main text.  I sort of shoehorned in the new material to update the article quickly.)

Who is Carl Barney?

An English born Crackpot and now funding an organization that assumes the reputation of a self-willed warrior of Reason, Ayn Rand.   

Only in America!  I have reached a point in my life (somewhere close to its end)  when nothing strikes me as weird or strange.  Weird is the New Normal. 

Mark,

It's good to have the photos, but Barney already admitted to being part of Scientology at the relevant time frame. To me that was already definitive. 

But the photos are nice and they nail one more nail in the board.

:)

Michael

Yes, the ARI Barney admitted to “dabbling” in Co$ at the time of that photo.  But without the photo he could claim that there are two Barneys, one of which ran the Missions and the other, him, who just dabbled in 1969.  The photo proves that that Barney is in fact the future Barney of the Co$ Missions.

It’s a delicate logical point.  I thought as you did at first, except I didn’t think the earlier evidence was quite sufficient.

The photo surfaced on Virginia McClaughry’s blog after I asked on the “Ex Scientology Message Board” if anyone could provide Co$ photos of Barney.  This photo is dynamite.  One of the lawyers for the plaintiffs in the Brooks & Wride vs. Barney lawsuit, Brandon J. Mark, seems to realize its importance.  He didn’t return my email when I told him about the earlier version of my article but after the photo surfaced he posted to McClaughry’s blog asking her to contact him.  I gather that for five or six years he’s been trying to prove that the Barney of the Center for Excellence in Higher Education – what I call the ARI Barney – is the Co$ Barney.

Mark,

You know you are on a good one here, don't you?

:)

I say, ride it for all it's worth. This thing is creeping up into higher nooks and crannies all over the damn place.

Be careful, though.

Barney was trained by a master and he has hundreds of millions lying around to play with. As I mentioned to a friend offline, "He learned plenty of dirty tricks from Hubbard about taking enemies down--dirty tricks that would appall even ARI folks. And he learned all about stealth and secrecy and not letting your own side in on everything."

He's old now, so his energy and possible vindictiveness are not going to be what they used to be.

Still, biting animals bite. That's what they do. They can't not bite.

Michael