• Announcements

• Michael Stuart Kelly

New upgrade with simpler interface   05/13/2016

Once again, the fine folks at IPB made a new upgrade and things might not be where you started to learn they were. However, this is one time where I think they actually improved things for navigation. There are only a few big buttons: When you click on one of those buttons, some other stuff opens up, depending on which button you click. (Later Note: These only appear when zoomed in or in the mode for smartphones/tablets.) I'm learning this as you are, so I suggest you do what I am doing: click on these big buttons, see what they open and fiddle with the software some. Ironically, you will find there is a lot that is intuitive. That's what I'm discovering. (Later note: I just discovered that I was viewing the site zoomed in too far to see the normal view. The menus are still there with the old buttons, but when I zoom in too much, they disappear and the new buttons appear. I believe this zoomed in way is what the site looks like on mobile devices. I'm going to mess with it some more, then maybe make some explanations.) Sorry for the inconvenience. Still, over time, I hope you end up liking these changes. Michael
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caroljane

Aaarr-goo

7 posts in this topic

Good for Ben Affleck and good movie. But you do know it is fiction, not history, right? It was Ken Taylor, not the CIA, who hid the Americans and organized their escape.

I moved this from the Articles section to the Movies section.

The opening post needs a little more filler to become an article.

:smile:

Michael

I thought the movie more or less sucked, and quit at the halfway mark.

It was bad enough to live through the 70's, so seeing their aftermath on the big screen was unpleasant and too much the uphill battle....

Good for Ben Affleck and good movie. But you do know it is fiction, not history, right? It was Ken Taylor, not the CIA, who hid the Americans and organized their escape.

It is partly fictional. Wikipedia has a section about the historical accuracy.

Yes, the fictional part is that Menendez (who was in Tehran for a day and a half) "led" the operation. He was a minor player despite his later selfglorification. As noted in Wiki, it was 90% Taylor.

Love the part about giving Canada credit "for diplomatic reasons." Sure, the CIA always give other countries credit for heartwarming successes, and take the blame for sorry-ass messes, for "diplomatic reasons".

Yes, the fictional part is that Menendez (who was in Tehran for a day and a half) "led" the operation. He was a minor player despite his later selfglorification. As noted in Wiki, it was 90% Taylor.

Love the part about giving Canada credit "for diplomatic reasons." Sure, the CIA always give other countries credit for heartwarming successes, and take the blame for sorry-ass messes, for "diplomatic reasons".

The Discovery Channel had a show about this incident last night (link). The link has only some excerpts. I don't know if it will be re-aired or not. If Mendez was only in Tehran a day and a half, that does not imply he was a minor player. And giving Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor credit "for diplomatic reasons" sounds plausible to me. Why? Giving credit to the CIA at the time might have endangered the lives of the other hostages (52 Americans) at the U.S. Embassy in Tehran.

The inaugural Canadian Screen Awards aired last night with Martin Short as host (better than Seth MacFarlane was imho)

Marty mentioned that he had flown in on Air Canada, or as Ben Affleck would say, American Airlines.